Sponsored by: DP Tuner

additive to antifreeze?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 09:47 AM
lots o miles
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
additive to antifreeze?

I own a 97 PS with 297,000 miles and have always changed my antifreeze myself and when i changed out my water pump last week my friend asked if i was going to add the additive and i was wondering if anyone new something about this or if i should just tell me friend to !! Any help is appreciated guys...

Old 07-15-2003, 03:07 PM
SMB
Senior User
additive to antifreeze?

Nope, you friend was just watching your 6. The additive you friend is talking about is generally referred to as SCA (supplemental coolant additive). Ford calls it FW-15 or FW-16, also seen it as DCA. Do a search on those terms and considered yourself schooled.

Simply, its to prevent cavitation, a condition where little bubbles in the coolant bore their way through the cylinder wall. Do a search on cavitation too.

Usually more a problem on earlier models. Maybe your just lucky, or have been putting in coolant thats precharged with the stuff. I think with fresh antifreeze, you need 4-5 bottles of the stuff to get the additive to the right level.

Good luck,
Shawn

Old 07-15-2003, 03:34 PM
hughesm1
Senior User
additive to antifreeze?

What is the shelf life of a bottle of FW-16? I'm down to one bottle that I bought 4 years ago before coming overseas; upon opening the second to last bottle, I noticed green crystallisation at the bottom of the bottle. Took about 5 minutes of shaking to get the crystals to go back into solution.

Mark

Old 07-15-2003, 06:17 PM
lots o miles
Freshman User
additive to antifreeze?

well who would be anywhere without friends i guess ?true so true you must add 4 oz for every gallon of antifreeze and sold at stores as in the ford house for a whopping $6.oo per 16 oz. thanks guys