true dual, single exhaust, or dual after muffler?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 02:42 AM
Vanhecht
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

working on replacing my exhaust system headers, cat, muffler and pipe, only thing is i really dont know what direction to go. basically i wan tsome more power, a better exhaust note, and somehting to improve efficiency, but still a moderate system. i am kinda lost so hit me with your advice please
eric

Old 07-15-2003, 06:10 PM
truckman79
Senior User

Go with the true dual. Anything else is just a waste of time and money, the reason being that when you do a cat back system or dual after the muffler exhaust your not getting any real gains. The reason is that once the exhaust comes out of the manifolds, your immediatly putting all the exhaust into one pipe, then later on down the line, letting it go to two seperate ones. So the cat back is just for show, because the exhaust has already been restricted right after the manifolds, unless you put on a huge 3" pipe all the way giving the exhaust more room to occupy. A cat back does however lessen the restriction that you normaly would get from a single all the way because its letting the exhaust have more room after the muffler or cat to get out thus letting more exhaust pass through the cat or muffler quicker, but the gains from that are minimal and not what your really looking for and not worth the money you would put into the system. The true dual only puts 4 cylinders exhaust into one pipe, and the other 4's into another pipe, they never combine thus giving you more power because your engine can breath better since your not trying to cram all 8 cylinders exhaust into one pipe, your spreading it through two. Plus if you have good mufflers like flowmaster 40 series or something like that it will definitly be loud and sound really nice and powerful. If you get headers its even better because your letting each cylinder have its own pipe for a little while, which gives the engine even more room to breath. Go with the true dual, anything else would be a waste of time and money. Sorry for the lengthy post

Old 07-15-2003, 09:35 PM
Vanhecht
Elder User

thanks for the info, really, i was not at all sure but what you say makes sense so ill prob go true dual now...but do i need 2 o2 sensors or can i do an h pipe with one?
eric

Old 07-15-2003, 10:24 PM
truckman79
Senior User

Your welcome... Im not sure about the O2 sensors though, but you should be able to ask your regular mechanic or a guy from a muffler shop or even your smog guy. Hopefully though someone from here will answer that for you. My guess is though that you probably will have to put another in though, but I have no clue. good luck on the system, and nice looking truck, looks like you take good care of it!
Ryan

Old 07-15-2003, 10:47 PM
forddytube
Elder User

hey bra, built ford tough you just answered my question there too cause i was gonna waste time and money tommorrow untill i found your speeche which was kinda long but worth reading all the way down..hey after the o2 you still have dual pipes from left and right of the motor could'nt you start your dual pipes from there to the cats then mufflers , still using the one o2..i just got my one 40 series muffler and catco cats , gonna have to wait 2days 2get my second muffler.
ty!