1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Does a 99 5.4 engine have spark plug breaking/freezing problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 08:46 PM
ROADHOGE250
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coolfeet
could you post photos of the tool? I am sort of excited to try a dry run followed by the real deal.

While I did not change plugs but set up for a change , cleaning plug deck area, general wiping own in front…on a fairly clean motor…has the 5.4 running stronger. I suspect either front area plugs were ? or the 2 decks all 8 sit on is overly grimy. Or a third reason completely removed from plugs..

Cleaner suggestions for getting putty knife grade grunge off the decks ?

Here’s the tool

http://goo.gl/LmYv06

http://goo.gl/0p2d4V

My body was wired after an afternoon at this. You know…aahhhhhhhahhhh. I kayak all day, exercise for paddling every day for years.

Old 09-26-2014, 10:03 PM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Thank you all for the input on this awesome van. The owner called me tonight itching to sell it. I asked him to have the van sit for 5 days to verify that the battery problem was taken care of. He thinks the new fuses in the stereo and keeping the alarm off when parked for an extended period solved the problem. I don't want to be part of an experiment and find out he was wrong. I declined as I have seen too many phantom electrical problems in vehicle never being fixed-only tolerated. With the #3 plug popped, no record of transmission ever being flushed/changed, and what I believed "rough" down shifting, I easily declined.

While getting my Honda smogged today, the mechanic and I were talking shop. He mentioned that the early 5.4 Ford engines had manifold problems and usually required replacement. This van had one of the exhaust manifolds replaced at 100k. He also mentioned without me asking that if you don't change the transmission fluid at regular intervals, the transmission will go out. On the other hand, he said regular changes will ensure a long life. He was nearly 60 years old and has wrenched his entire life.

I brought my white E150 back to him right after the smog and he felt the play in my steering box. He said that when I change the steering gear box, to spend an extra $20-$30 and get a new pitman arm.

He told me that he will do the install for $80 if I provide the parts. This got me thinking as I sometimes work over time and do not have to get dirty. This will be another good thread to start.

I think he works for cheap as he owns the smog business next door to a repair shop and watches the shop when owners are out conducting other business. These guys are all from India. When he has idle time, he wrenches and probably keeps almost everything and gives the shop owner a cut. Reminds of how barbers work-rent the stall and keep most of the cash.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:39 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,112 Posts
All things considered you probably made the best decision for yourself CoolFeet---better to not be the last guy "experimenting" on something!

This van might be great for a mechanic with plenty of time and experience to fix what ails it at the moment. Because you can't devote that time its better to walk away.

The upside is the seller was at least forthcoming about most things---most in a rush to dump something would have "obscured" all these issues.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:03 PM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by JWA
All things considered you probably made the best decision for yourself CoolFeet---better to not be the last guy "experimenting" on something!

This van might be great for a mechanic with plenty of time and experience to fix what ails it at the moment. Because you can't devote that time its better to walk away.

The upside is the seller was at least forthcoming about most things---most in a rush to dump something would have "obscured" all these issues.
The owner was very upfront. I wonder if 24 years serving active duty in the Navy and being a man of sound faith had something do with his integrity.

I look at vans every day on Craigslist and call on very few. My wife wants a E350 Powerstroke. I found a beauty last year for $2300 with a fresh tranny. I did not buy the van as I was too new to the game. It needed $1000 worth of tires and exhaust leak fixed.

I think patience and due diligence will pay off for me as I don't need a new van. Eventually, the right van and the right price will appear.

My "Miller Light" Club wagon has got our family over some rough roads in Oregon, Washington, Montana, and Idaho in 3 summers of camping and has not let us down in 17,000 miles.

My buddy Dan with the extended E350 Powerstroke kept up with me on every national forest road. There was not much difference in how our vehicles performed on the gravel roads. I have better tires and shocks. He has more torque. My van is shorter and was better missing trees and picnic tables. He had some close calls!

Old 09-28-2014, 07:41 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,410 Likes on 1,112 Posts
The luxury of time to hunt for the right van is great indeed. Even though my current '03 is barely 2 years old to me I'm already looking for its replacement. If things work-wise continue as they have another two years is just about the right time to get into another E250. By then I may be looking for a V10 with same extended body along with the PDL. PW & A/C I don't want to live without.

When the new-to-me van comes into sight I'll then have two "extra" vans to dispose of, the '00 still being one of the best trucks I've ever owned. Had I been slightly less enthralled with the extended body of the '03 I'd have taken far more time checking it out, would have passed it by due more than a few body issues. Sad on my part because I really, really thought I was smarter............

Keep us updated on your shopping progress----hopefully we gave you good info, enough to make the right decision for you.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:59 PM
maples01
Logistics Pro
Received 93 Likes on 87 Posts
I'll sell you my 99, transmission was replaced last year, has hardly be driven since, I'm loving the 73 Econoline more. LoL

Old 09-29-2014, 09:08 AM
coolfeet
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by maples01
I'll sell you my 99, transmission was replaced last year, has hardly be driven since, I'm loving the 73 Econoline more. LoL
If I was traveling through Tennessee, then your van would be on my radar. I am looking at 97-2006 vans. If I can pick up a bare bones cargo that has been meticulously maintained, I am more inclined to go that route. In California, there are lots of service companies that do routine maintenance and sell the vans at 180k. Last year I found a 2001 7.3 power stroke for $3500 and missed it by a few minutes. It was owned by a small plumbing company. The owner said at 180k, he sells them and many include a refreshed tranny.

I am not partial to the 7.3 as I know that even though it's super durable, it comes with a higher price tag for maintenance. $100 oil changes, transmission cooler up keep,fuel filter problems, gas tank corrosion, etc. My buddy Dan has nearly 300k on his. We are about ready to a repair a minor fuel leak on his van and fix a vacuum leak in the ac. These E350s are so tough and reliable! I picked up one of his brake calipers and nearly through my back out. My brake calipers and like toys compared to the E350. But then my van is light on the budget for replacement parts-$35 re-manufactured brake calipers!

I will take the first clean van that meets all my check boxes. Gas or diesel will work. I have to admit it would be fun to drive the noisy click clack 7.3. I would be passing everyone going over 8000 foot passes with the tranny in OD and not even crying "down shift!". My poor little "Miller Lite" 4.2 drives mountain passes at 35 mph.