Sponsored by: Moser

Please Mr. Custer

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 10:14 PM
smokenchoken
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Mr. Custer

well i scraped up the money and bought my very first vehicle back..... my dad bought the truck back before i was born (he remembers it was mid 80's but can't remember exactly when) it started life as a 1976 2wd F250 with a 390 and a 435np backed by 4.10 gears and finally it got to where the rear main seal leaked so bad he couldn't afford to drive it any more he gave it to me....at 6 years old.... have i mentioned i love my dad? i got to drive it on the lease roads growing up out in the oil patch 1st gear just creeping along steering around all the ruts in the road but you would have to literally add oil every day just for the 2 mile trek.....he pulled the motor and sold it to a friend of his and the truck was my hangout spot waiting for the school bus and the truck sit there from 97-2007 when i moved to my new house away from mom and dads and that is where i fell in love with Ford trucks sitting every day in it day dreaming of all the things "Brownie" could do but as i moved "Brownie" to my new home i decided it needed a new name and for some reason the broken CUSTOM sign now saying CUST made me want to name it Custer and that is the name that stayed with it ever since...... i almost had it back together in 09 but someone stole the dizzy out of the motor i was gonna put into it and the entire motor got filled with water and a big gust of wind (like a micro burst) blew the hood which had been covering the motor up in the bed of it while i waited to borrow an A frame off of the motor and bent the side of the hood bad enough it will never go back on it and thats the way she sit until my cousin who's Step son was getting close to driving age and had wanted my truck since he was tiny so i agreed to sell it to him for $250 (only a family discount) and boy the changes he and his Step Dad did Custer is now an F250/150 all the F250 body and rear leafs but F150 Frame and drive train from one of his old mud racing trucks but with 3.50 gears front and rear and both front axles are chrome moly but he didn't want to give the boy anything too hot so a 300-6 is what powers Custer now (when the frame was under a different body he raced it with 4.56 gears and 38's but i figure i will stick with 35's or 36's for suspension flex and such) the boy got in some legal trouble and i talked it over with the Cousin and he sold me the truck back for $700 (not to bad of an investment i figured) and so now Custer is back in my hands and i look forward to posting much more about Custer and all the playing i had only daydreamed about before which i will now be able to have Custer as my 4x4 plaything and quit tearing up my 2wds and can leave them to their "Daily Driving Duties" (had to put small tires on just to use this car trailer) if anybody can tell me what the body color is i would appreciate it....

Old 09-17-2014, 10:25 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Cool story! It's amazing how an old rig holds strong memories ain't it? It would be easier to read ifn them periods and punctuatins' were kinda more regler like.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:37 PM
Jaydoubleyou
Senior User
Neat story and it's great that you were able to get it back. I hear all to often people say they wish they had never sold (or somehow lost) they're first vehicle. That's partially why I went ahead with my re-re-rebuild.

Old 09-17-2014, 10:45 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
That is cool as hell.
I have tried to write something really intelligent to say but all I can really think of is, "that is cool as hell".

Old 09-17-2014, 10:53 PM
blackjack33
Senior User
Did you peck that wall o' text out on an iPhone?

Old 09-17-2014, 10:54 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Sometimes life comes full circle.

Color? Sequioa Brown Metallic or Medium Ginger Glow.

.. but why don't ya take a peek at the door tag for the code?

Old 09-18-2014, 06:26 AM
smokenchoken
Posting Guru
never been able to decode a color off of one before HIO so i will probably snap a pic of it Saturday and have someone more knowledgeable help me hopefully......Tedster9 i use the periods to separate different parts of my writing it helps me keep track of where i am sorry for not having perfect punctuation and grammar on a text based forum......blackjack i wouldn't ever want an iphone i myself like a phone that doesn't break as easy so i have an old LG with the internet purposefully turned off its just for talking and a few texts.... Jaydoubleyou Custer will never be quite as cool as Hemiswap but i will probably see more trails and mud and thanks for the kind words from everyone else

Old 09-18-2014, 10:10 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 66 Likes on 65 Posts
Just joshin' ya man! Oh there's plenty o' them thar periods, they's a just bunched up in all the wrong places is all, and so my eyes don't know whether to stop for a spell or keepa goin'?

Old 09-18-2014, 11:57 AM
TheStuffz
More Turbo
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
truck has a history eh??

Old 09-18-2014, 05:51 PM
smokenchoken
Posting Guru
it has more history than i put down i could rattle off stories for hours of my Dad and I in that truck all the work he did out of it and things we did with it like once he was messing around on main street in town and had it in first gear and was working the throttle then brake back and forth til he got the front end bouncing off of the ground right up till the time a cop coming from the other direction and Dad hops out and pops the hood as the cop pulls up and asks what he was doing and Dad on the spot came up with a story about how the springs he had hooked to the carb was messed up the officer just shook his head and let Dad and I go on our merry way with just a verbal warning....just one of the hundreds of stories i could tell and all the character of the truck makes it worth so much more than money could begin to replace and here in a few years i hope to make memories with my own son in Mr. Custer

Old 09-18-2014, 06:08 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by smokenchoken
it has more history than i put down i could rattle off stories for hours of my Dad and I in that truck all the work he did out of it and things we did with it like once he was messing around on main street in town and had it in first gear and was working the throttle then brake back and forth til he got the front end bouncing off of the ground right up till the time a cop coming from the other direction and Dad hops out and pops the hood as the cop pulls up and asks what he was doing and Dad on the spot came up with a story about how the springs he had hooked to the carb was messed up the officer just shook his head and let Dad and I go on our merry way with just a verbal warning....just one of the hundreds of stories i could tell and all the character of the truck makes it worth so much more than money could begin to replace and here in a few years i hope to make memories with my own son in Mr. Custer
Wooosh... these slam-on sentences makes me eyes wonky:

Help us out and parse your sentences.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:41 PM
blackjack33
Senior User
"never been able to decode a color off of one before"

ok, can you tell us what the door tag says...or take a pic of it?

Old 09-18-2014, 09:10 PM
smokenchoken
Posting Guru
yes i can. whenever i am next to the truck saturday, i will snap a few more pics most likely before and after tire swap

Old 09-21-2014, 09:10 AM
smokenchoken
Posting Guru
did some work on Custer and put new tires on

yes i am literally up a tree for this picture view kinda funny seeing a 350 lb guy in overalls climb a tree

Old 09-21-2014, 09:26 AM
smokenchoken
Posting Guru
as good a photo as my phone can take... i know it is a Y code which is a 360 but i also know that my dad had put a 390 in it so please no arguing on that

it was faded pretty bad i couldn't make out much on the bottom of the 2nd pic in person

Quick Reply: Please Mr. Custer