6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Dual Alternators

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2014, 12:05 AM
Jakebrake
< Samantha...my Co-Pilot

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Dual Alternators

I did a search but did not really come up with the info I wanted. Going to order a new truck soon and want to know what everyones experiences are with the dual alternators. I was thinking of the HD alternator but might consider the dual setup if guys are having a positive experience with it. Thanks!

Old 09-10-2014, 06:02 AM
Supercab
Lead Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Hi, I am just here visiting from the 7.3 PSD forum.

Not many 7.3 guys have the dual alternators, but some feel the need to upgrade the amperage on the stock units or swap in an aftermarket or one from a 6.0 truck.

I had my original rebuild recently and asked if they could or should upgrade the amperage and they said that if I had no particular high amperage draw (which I don't) then a stock rebuild was just fine.

I'm sure the newer trucks have a higher amperage output than the older ones, so unless you will be installing/using heavy amperage draw items then my bet is you'll be fine with just 1 alternator.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:11 AM
Gearitis
Laughing Gas

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have dual Alternators on my 11. The truck was used and it came that way. With all of the electrical on these trucks today, I assume it is a plus. I have had no issues in the year I have owned it. I guess if I had more Lights, winch, bigger sound system and etc, then dual alternators would be more apparent. But on the other hand, the heated seats, all of the 12v outlets, inverter, the dual alternators are probably a must to keep up with the current electrical needs and add-ons and not necessarily to charge the batteries.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:15 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I just ordered a truck too and selected the single alt. about the only thing I could think of was maybe the single alt set up might give me better mpg in the long run. I have no idea if that's true or not.

Old 09-10-2014, 06:29 AM
purplewg
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Dual alternators double you chances of having a failure but then again there is always warranty. I considered it but decided against it. My alternator on my 6L went for over 10 years before failing.

Old 09-10-2014, 08:09 AM
pacnorwest
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
For those with RV's attached; the truck electrical system is powering up the camper's lighting system and charging the battery(s) at the same time.
A little extra electrical generation may be helpful.

Old 09-10-2014, 09:00 AM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My mech said no need unless you are running snow plows so I skipped it. I also asked before ordering.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:46 PM
Jakebrake
< Samantha...my Co-Pilot

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Thanks everyone! I'm not snowplowing and I don't think I want the supplemental cab heater(about 80 amps worth of currrent draw) either so I was just going to go with the single HD alternator...like to keep things less complicated although I might be fooling myself with that idea. Seems like less hardware and a simple serpentine belt path should be a good thing.

Old 09-10-2014, 12:48 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 7,578 Likes on 2,326 Posts
Originally Posted by ruschejj
I just ordered a truck too and selected the single alt. about the only thing I could think of was maybe the single alt set up might give me better mpg in the long run. I have no idea if that's true or not.
Congrats Joel!

Old 09-10-2014, 10:36 PM
Bluovlnut
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dual alternators on my 01 7.3 had it for 10 years with no problems.
I did not get them on my 11 just the HD. have had no problems with it either, has the supplemental heater and lots of RV use.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:04 PM
Dim Sum
Cargo Master
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
200a is plenty of power for my uses...even towing the trailer. I figured dual alternators doubled my chances of an accessory drive failure, made the belt more difficult to find if a replacement is needed, and made the engine bay more crowded.

I'm sure there are good uses for the extra power (320 vs 200), but I don't think many folks really need the power or redundancy.

Now....too bad we couldn't order dual 26 gallon fuel tanks!

Old 09-11-2014, 12:32 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
2011 had the HD Alt, the new one has the dual Alts. I have all the electrical goodies on the new one. Supplemental Cab Heater, heated front and rear seats that all will be used at the same time. Plus, it gets really freaking cold here in AK. And as you know batteries don't work as well in the cold... They send out less power and take more power to charge. Anyways, the new one (2015) I didn't order. I just picked it up off the showroom floor that way. Seemed like most heavily optioned trucks the order have the duals. Unlike in Miami... Where duals were hard to find. In addition I have the snow plow prep, so they may expect someone to run a plow with the truck...

FWIW, I had zero power issues with the 2011 (other than a dead 12V battery after almost 4 years) and the HD Alternator. I didn't run a whole lot of extra stuff though either.

I think it does boil down to what are going to do with the truck? And where are you? I for one, want that supplemental heater to work really good when/if I am up in Fairbanks this winter and it is -40 out.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:05 AM
Sgt93
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Ken, I have all of the winter stuff as well (supp heater, heated seats all around etc). Again my mech said the single HD is more than enough. I had everything mentioned in my 20-1 as well (minus heated rears as it wasn't an option then), and no issues. You did good.

Old 09-11-2014, 11:05 AM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
I would think if it was an issue that in order to get the Supp. heater they would require more than the HD alternator...

I think mine would be perfectly fine with a single. And I do wonder if that is why I am not getting as good a mileage as I could. (and did with the 2011). Only time will tell, because my 2015 only has 1200 miles on it right now.

And even if you were going to run a ton of lights - nowadays those are LED and they don't pull as much power as they used to. A large snow plow is a different ball game though.

On Edit: It looks like the seat heaters use a whopping 40 - 50 watts of power... So the extra 100 watts is NOTHING for the rear heated seats. At leas that is what most seat heaters I can find pull.

Old 09-11-2014, 12:29 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have always been told, don't know from experience, the dual setup is mainly for towing a RV, (to run extra lights, RV systems while traveling). For my needs, the single HD is fine.

Quick Reply: Dual Alternators