6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Coolant filter and gauges enough?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2014, 04:08 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
Oil pressure gauge is a joke. The needle is driven to the center position when the sensor clicks at 4psi. Several posts of overheated trucks steaming on the side of the road with no indication at all of impending doom from the factory instruments. I wouldn't trust them.
So what about oil pressure? No low pressure oil means no running truck. Don't really care about what the pressure is.

Sent from my Telegraph using IB AutoGroup

Old 09-07-2014, 04:11 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by BryanStein
Wow. I knew there are some sensitive topics on this board, but I didn't think having an extra gage or two on the dash was one of them.

If I didn't know better, I'd think we have some 70 yr old ladies posting.

I'm on the side of decreased monitoring. I monitor with Torque only when I tow my camper and for diagnostics. If your running a hot tune and use your truck as a street dragster, I can see more haves. Any more than that, and you probably call 911 to cut your fingernails.

Having said all that, a volt meter would be great. But I monitor voltage enough without it because I mainly just tow the camper with it.
And this is why I went with the edge insight. I can monitor 8 things at a time if I want, but the alarm feature means I don't have to watch them unless it hits a set point.

Ps, don't tell the 7.3 guys you don't need to monitor and datalog everything on every trip. Lol! They are now on the kick of putting a pyrometer in each manifold and some of them do a third in the downpipe.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:18 PM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Received 99 Likes on 70 Posts
Originally Posted by 69cj
Watch it Bryan, I'm only 67.
I thought that's what the 69 was in your handle. ;>). Had I known you were only 67, I would had said something about waiting three more years until you had the retirement thing figured out before hassling people over the internet.

Old 09-07-2014, 04:45 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by BryanStein
I thought that's what the 69 was in your handle. ;>). Had I known you were only 67, I would had said something about waiting three more years until you had the retirement thing figured out before hassling people over the internet.
The 69 is for my 69 cj mustang. LOL

Old 09-07-2014, 05:08 PM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by 69cj
The 69 is for my 69 cj mustang. LOL
Well I wasn't about to ask what it was for. Lol You just never know.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:19 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 137 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
So what about oil pressure? No low pressure oil means no running truck. Don't really care about what the pressure is.

Point is, it's designed to be misleading and is of little value. I guess you could extrapolate the "no monitoring" position to having just one big red light on the dash that lights up whenever anything is wrong, then attach some diagnostic device for repairs. I can follow that logic, I just disagree. Ignoring available tech devices makes little sense to me but it's your truck.

There's a derogatory name for internet posters who drop a bomb to start an argument. I'll cleverly wait a few posts before typing it...or not, enjoy your disagreement this is going nowhere.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:41 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner

Point is, it's designed to be misleading and is of little value. I guess you could extrapolate the "no monitoring" position to having just one big red light on the dash that lights up whenever anything is wrong, then attach some diagnostic device for repairs. I can follow that logic, I just disagree. Ignoring available tech devices makes little sense to me but it's your truck.

There's a derogatory name for internet posters who drop a bomb to start an argument. I'll cleverly wait a few posts before typing it...or not, enjoy your disagreement this is going nowhere.
All I am saying is that there are some things that are not worth monitoring. Too much information leads to an overload.

Feel free to call me all the derogatory names you want but that certainly seems silly. You obviously didn't see where I was going with my post...

Old 09-07-2014, 05:53 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by MisterCMK
All I am saying is that there are some things that are not worth monitoring. Too much information leads to an overload.

Feel free to call me all the derogatory names you want but that certainly seems silly. You obviously didn't see where I was going with my post...

My apologies, that remark concerned post #11. Should have posted separate or not at all.

Old 09-07-2014, 05:58 PM
Bullitt390
Certified Thread Hijacker

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts
Ford has always been opposed to working volt gauges. Even the 60s to 80s AMP gauges were worthless and even Ford admitted they didn't work correctly in various TSBs...

Ford Ammeter Gauges: Do They Work? | MILEPOSTS Garage (Tech Tips)

As for oil pressure gauge, if there is a gauge with a needle then it should work as a proper gauge showing actual pressure. Since Ford decided to just make it a glorified idiot gauge then they should have just put an idiot light in.

Same thing with the Trans Temp. Do an idiot light.

With 2 open spots in the dash cluster it would have made more sense to put in a Volt meter and EGT.

Oh well...

Josh

Old 09-07-2014, 06:05 PM
spdmpo
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
My apologies, that remark concerned post #11. Should have posted separate or not at all.
Hmmmm, apologies if my remark was taken different than I intended. It wasn't directed at anyone, or anyone's viewpoint that differs. I thought I was being a little humorous and even poking a little fun at myself. It can be deleted if needed since it did not turn out as its intended purpose.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:17 PM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by spdmpo
Hmmmm, apologies if my remark was taken different than I intended. It wasn't directed at anyone, or anyone's viewpoint that differs. I thought I was being a little humorous and even poking a little fun at myself. It can be deleted if needed since it did not turn out as its intended purpose.
All opinions are valued and appreciated, just not at the expense of others. If no offense was meant, so be it.

Old 09-07-2014, 07:06 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
I agree. We are talking opinions here and they are subject to be different. no need for name calling.

Old 09-07-2014, 11:59 PM
BryanStein
Fleet Mechanic
Is it too late to ask a moderator to delete this whole thread?

My posts in this thread have all been in jest. One extra gauge vs 10 extra gauges is the definition of personal preference. Apologies to anyone I might have offended ..... and especially to old ladies everywhere. I think I insulted them with my comparison.

Nope, I couldn't help myself.