Sponsored by: Moser

Married transfer case in a highboy

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 08:40 PM
ss74nova
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Married transfer case in a highboy

Hi. I have a 1975 F-250 highboy with a 460, c6 trans, np203 full time divorced transfer case that the differential won't lock , 4.10 gears, low pinion closed knuckle dana 44 front axle & 33x12.50 tires. I'm going to be running the truck on the street & in trucks pulls at the local fairs. I would also like to install a underdrive box (ORD, Behemoth, Northwest Fab), but they all seem like they only bolt up to a married transfer case. I have a 1977 F-150 parts truck with a c6 & married np205. Has anybody switched from a divorced to married case in a highboy & what am I going to run into? Can I keep my crossmember near the front of the trans or does that have to be removed or notched for the front driveshaft? Can I use the F-150 crossmember for the transmount or would a 77.5 to 79 F-250 trans mount work better? Can I keep the low pinion dana 44 front axle until I get enough money for a dana 60 high pinion as long as I don't run it in the truck pull? Would the front driveshaft angle be too much? The underdrive box would give me around 6" extra length between the c6 & np205 so the driveshaft angle would be a little less. Would the front driveshaft hit anything with a dana 60 high pinion? What would I do for a rear driveshaft? Would it be a single one that is really long or do I use a 77.5 79 F-250 2 piece rear driveshaft with a carrier bearing & would that be a weak point?
Thanks,
Tim

Old 09-07-2014, 04:04 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Received 3,290 Likes on 2,446 Posts
Tim, welcome to FTE, here is a suggested format to put a large # of questions in and make it easier on us to help.

Hi. I have a 1975 F-250 highboy with a 460, c6 trans, np203 full time divorced transfer case that the differential won't lock , 4.10 gears, low pinion closed knuckle dana 44 front axle & 33x12.50 tires. Thanks for the information on your truck, this helps a lot.

I'm going to be running the truck on the street & in trucks pulls at the local fairs. I would also like to install a underdrive box (ORD, Behemoth, Northwest Fab), but they all seem like they only bolt up to a married transfer case. I have a 1977 F-150 parts truck with a c6 & married np205. What engine do you have in the parts truck? If it’s a 351M/400 the C-6 will bolt to the 460 and the transfer case will come right along with it, along with the cross member.

Has anybody switched from a divorced to married case in a highboy? Personal no, but I believe it’s been done. Have you used the FTE advanced search option? And tried to locate threads that might of already covered this?

What am I going to run into? Dismantling a fair amount of 2 trucks and doing some pretty heavy work. For sure, it's not a weekend done deal. The xfer cases are HEAVY like 100 lbs +. Cross members are bolted and some are possibly riveted in? Drive shaft rework…meaning cut and lengthen or shorten and balance, if the parts truck ones will not work.

Can I keep my crossmember near the front of the trans or does that have to be removed or notched for the front driveshaft? If you change transmissions you will have to change the trans cross member too. And you will be using the new xfer case shorter d/s.

Can I use the F-150 crossmember for the transmount or would a 77.5 to 79 F-250 trans mount work better? Use what the new trans has on it.

Can I keep the low pinion dana 44 front axle until I get enough money for a dana 60 high pinion as long as I don't run it in the truck pull? The low pinion is only a real big concern when you go to install a big lift on the truck.

Would the front driveshaft angle be too much? Not unless you lift it.

The underdrive box would give me around 6" extra length between the c6 & np205 so the driveshaft angle would be a little less. Yes, and require a shortened d/s.

Would the front driveshaft hit anything with a dana 60 high pinion? What would I do for a rear driveshaft? All depends on what route you take, are you going to get a D60 now and swap it or after you swap the C-6 and the NP 205 in place? As far as rear d/s either get it shortened or lengthened by a professional shop IMO. With the C-6/NP 205 swap you should have to get it lengthened.

Would it be a single one that is really long or do I use a 77.5 79 F-250 2 piece rear driveshaft with a carrier bearing & would that be a weak point? I think the d/s from the parts truck will work it’s a long bed also?

Like I said I have NOT done this swap, but I hope I have answered some of your answers. Have you signed for your state FTE chapter? Pennsylvania Chapter - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

I'd get the front axle taken of first, either leave the D44 or swap in a D60 $$. Then do the trans/transfer case swap. And last would be getting the d/s reworked if you have to.

Build the foundation (front axle/xfer case) then build the bridges (driveshafts). FYI ck your truck pull tech requirements drive shaft loops might be a requirement? Come on back for any more help, we will at least try. Also why don't you figure out why your "differential won't lock" instead of trying to swap in a complete different xfer case? Just curious?

Old 09-07-2014, 06:47 AM
montana_highboy
Post Fiend
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
?

I can't make heads or tails of that run-on sentence.....try some punctuation.

Old 09-07-2014, 06:55 AM
lafermedavid
Cargo Master

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts
highboy

differential won't lock" hit the nail on the head,like Rich said see whats up with t/c...there is a good thread here recently by "Kickup" on rebuilding t/c,,,start with repairing t/c..had mine tore apart this week and they are very manageable.quite basic

Old 09-07-2014, 07:57 AM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by montana_highboy
I can't make heads or tails of that run-on sentence.....try some punctuation.
I gotta agree totally with this statement.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:16 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
MTHB I tried to help the guy out a bit and break it down for him and us. Did any of that sound correct or even in the ball park?

Nag nannies about punctuation, are all you guys English majors or what? lol

Yes I agree, how about a little question spacing, but I figured I would help the guy 1st, then nag him about a paragraphing or what ever you call it.

The following users liked this post:
Old 09-07-2014, 08:20 AM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Nag,Nag,Nag,Nag,Nag.

Old 09-07-2014, 08:34 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Pot calling the kettle black ya think? lol JK (insert sarcasm) or pick a statement. lol

Yes I have way to free time on my hands.

Attached Images          
Old 09-07-2014, 08:39 AM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Rich,I have seen you online alot lately so I assume you are back at work?
Be safe over there if thats where you are

Old 09-07-2014, 09:05 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Yes...I am doing both. The cease fire deal between Russian and the Ukraine is a good thing as long as it hold's up.

I would rather be at the shop working on my trucks, for sure.

Thread HJ over for now...

Old 09-07-2014, 09:24 AM
ss74nova
Freshman User
Thanks for the replies. Sorry it's so jumbled together. I was just trying to get everything out of my head before I forgot what I was going to say. I'll try breaking it up so it's easier to read.

- "What engine do you have in the parts truck? If it’s a 351M/400 the C-6 will bolt to the 460 and the transfer case will come right along with it, along with the cross member."

Yes it's a 351M

- Can I keep my crossmember near the front of the trans or does that have to be removed or notched for the front driveshaft? "If you change transmissions you will have to change the trans cross member too. And you will be using the new xfer case shorter d/s."

This particular crossmember is only on the highboys. It is below the bell housing & only attaches to the frame rails not the trans. Just thought it might be in the way if I put a Dana high pinion axle in.

- What would be stronger for a rear driveshaft, a single long one or a 2 pc with carrier bearing?

- "I'd get the front axle taken of first, either leave the D44 or swap in a D60 $$. Then do the trans/transfer case swap. And last would be getting the d/s reworked if you have to."

If I do the front axle first, I'd have to leave the hubs locked in all the time. The np203 differential won't lock, so the power goes to the least resistance. In the past I tried to drive around with the front driveshaft out of the truck & it wouldn't go anywhere. All the power went to the front output of the np203. It didn't matter if it was in high or low Loc.

- "Also why don't you figure out why your "differential won't lock" instead of trying to swap in a complete different xfer case? Just curious?"

Don't want to sink any money in the np203 because it's divorced & I'm going to a married one to work with the underdrive. Seems like the np205 are stronger, no chain to break. Also the best gas mileage on the highway is 8.5 mpg with the fulltime 4wd.

I'll try using the advanced search. I was using google & getting bits of info here & there. There was one FTE user that said they did this swap but I didn't see how they did it. I think his name was "grinnergetter".
Thanks,
Tim

Old 09-07-2014, 09:56 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Originally Posted by ss74nova
Thanks for the replies. Sorry it's so jumbled together. I was just trying to get everything out of my head before I forgot what I was going to say. I'll try breaking it up so it's easier to read.

My ?-What engine do you have in the parts truck? If it’s a 351M/400 the C-6 will bolt to the 460 and the transfer case will come right along with it, along with the cross member.
Your A-Yes it's a 351M- Good deal at least that trans will bolt up to your eng.

Your ?Can I keep my crossmember near the front of the trans or does that have to be removed or notched for the front driveshaft?
My A-If you change transmissions you will have to change the trans cross member too. And you will be using the new xfer case shorter d/s.

Your statement- This particular crossmember is only on the highboys. It is below the bell housing & only attaches to the frame rails not the trans. Just thought it might be in the way if I put a Dana high pinion axle in.
My A-get the axle installed then see what cross member has to be removed.

Your ?What would be stronger for a rear driveshaft, a single long one or a 2 pc with carrier bearing?
My A-"I'd get the front axle taken of first, either leave the D44 or swap in a D60 $$. Then do the trans/transfer case swap. And last would be getting the d/s reworked if you have to."

Your ? If I do the front axle first, I'd have to leave the hubs locked in all the time. The np203 differential won't lock, so the power goes to the least resistance. In the past I tried to drive around with the front driveshaft out of the truck & it wouldn't go anywhere. All the power went to the front output of the np203. It didn't matter if it was in high or low Loc.

Ok.....

My ? "Also why don't you figure out why your "differential won't lock" instead of trying to swap in a complete different xfer case? Just curious?"

Your A- Don't want to sink any money in the np203 because it's divorced & I'm going to a married one to work with the underdrive. Seems like the np205 are stronger, no chain to break. Also the best gas mileage on the highway is 8.5 mpg with the fulltime 4wd.

Sounds like another job is on the horizon to get the $ for the D60 and underdrive.

I'll try using the advanced search. I was using google & getting bits of info here & there. There was one FTE user that said they did this swap but I didn't see how they did it. I think his name was "grinnergetter".
Thanks,
Tim
If griner did it, he should be able to explain it better than my guessing. PM him and ask. He's a nice enough guy and very talented when it comes to working on these trucks.

Old 09-07-2014, 10:19 AM
77&79F250
Moderator & parts seller
Old 09-07-2014, 10:42 AM
fordrealdrive
Fleet Mechanic
Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
Why not swap to a divorced 205 and use the low range unit from the divorced 203 doubled in the front of the 205? Then there is only the intermediate drive shaft to shorten.

Edit: this might not be possible...

Old 09-07-2014, 12:43 PM
ss74nova
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 77&79F250
Thanks for the info. It was very helpful. Looks like "grinnergetter" had quite a time with the crossmember. He did a great job on the restoration. I'll try contacting him for more info. Thanks

Quick Reply: Married transfer case in a highboy