1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Just installed! Stage 1 injectors and TS chip!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2014, 08:20 AM
Royson12
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just installed! Stage 1 injectors and TS chip!

First of I would like to commend a local diesel shop in my area. I hope it doesn't get me in trouble. Diesel Dynamics. Paul who is the manager there was straight with me when I had them diagnose my truck. Told me the cost up front, and still came in under what he said. Recommended I replace my "lazy" injectors with stage one, and have my chip programed for the stage one injectors. I had not installed my chip yet, so he did that as well. Very good service! They will be getting more of my business.

On to the truck! Man what a difference! This thing has all kinds of power now! I just wanted to tow a trailer better, I think I could hit the track with it! If anybody has thought of installing stage 1's and a chip, DO IT! you wont be disappointed! Next will be a 4" exaust system, and maybe an intercooler. Depends on what it will get me. If anybody has any questions about the performance of the injectors and chip set up I have. Ask. I'll be glad to answer the best that I can.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:34 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Who's injectors did they use ?

Old 08-26-2014, 08:37 AM
Royson12
Posting Guru
"Full Force injectors. 160/100 CVRSN SPLIT-SINGLE DFF7.3160ADSINGLED"

Is what the invoice says.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:40 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like you breathed some new life into the 'ol gal!

If you're planning on towing with that setup and you're not yet intercooled, GET GAUGES ASAP. You're going to be pushing the EGTs without an IC so you'll need a pyro gauge so you can watch what is going on and know when to back off the skinny pedal.

Old 08-26-2014, 08:51 AM
Royson12
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Sounds like you breathed some new life into the 'ol gal!

If you're planning on towing with that setup and you're not yet intercooled, GET GAUGES ASAP. You're going to be pushing the EGTs without an IC so you'll need a pyro gauge so you can watch what is going on and know when to back off the skinny pedal.
ordering gauges today!

Old 08-26-2014, 09:42 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
FYI 160/100 are stageIIs

Old 08-26-2014, 09:51 AM
jchosler
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by fordpride
FYI 160/100 are stageIIs
yup, thats what mine are ^^^^^^^^^^

Gauges, exhaust, Intake is next if not done already

Old 08-26-2014, 09:54 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Be careful with those sticks. You could have a serious meltdown if you don't know your egts. Also if your still running the stock turbo it's really not going to like em

Old 08-26-2014, 10:14 AM
Royson12
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by fordpride
FYI 160/100 are stageIIs
Good? Or Bad?
Now I'm scared! Lol

Old 08-26-2014, 10:39 AM
jchosler
Elder User
Originally Posted by Royson12
Good? Or Bad?
Now I'm scared! Lol
I chose stage II's over I's because i wanted more. Its good for more power just gotta watch the EGT's even more and get the supporting mods for the good of the motor.

Intake, exhaust, gauges

Old 08-26-2014, 10:44 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Royson12
Good? Or Bad?
Now I'm scared! Lol
Not a bad thing, but that's more injector than your stock turbo is going to like, especially if you're towing with that setup. Gauges will tell the story. Don't take the stock turbo past 30 PSI boost and don't exceed 1250* EGT for longer than a few seconds. I'm guessing you'll be light-footing it or tuning it back pretty dramatically to stay within those constraints.

And if you're riding the E4Oh-Dear it's days are numbered with that much power. Ask Todd about that. If you have a ZF5 I would think you would be slipping the clutch as well.

Stage 2's are some great sticks, but If they know what they're doing I'd be surprised if that's what they put into your truck without suggesting some supporting mods. I think you would be setting a CEL based upon the HPO needs of those sticks alone, unless you have an upgraded HPOP, or they really tuned you back with the tunes on that chip. If those are 2's you're probably capable of 400HP, which makes for a GREAT running truck, but it needs some supporting mods to be reliable at those levels.

At any rate, just take it easy until you get those gauges installed.

Edit: I'd call and check with them to see what injectors you really got. That invoice code doesn't make sense to me. Why would you put AD splits into a OBS? Unless that means that they were AD code injectors that were converted to 160/100 single shots?

Old 08-26-2014, 10:49 AM
Royson12
Posting Guru
Not a bad thing, but that's more injector than your stock turbo is going to like, especially if you're towing with that setup. Gauges will tell the story. Don't take the stock turbo past 30 PSI boost and don't exceed 1250* EGT for longer than a few seconds. I'm guessing you'll be light-footing it or tuning it back pretty dramatically to stay within those constraints.

And if you're riding the E4Oh-Dear it's days are numbered with that much power. Ask Todd about that. If you have a ZF5 I would think you would be slipping the clutch as well.

Stage 2's are some great sticks, but If they know what they're doing I'd be surprised if that's what they put into your truck without suggesting some supporting mods. I think you would be setting a CEL based upon the HPO needs of those sticks alone, unless you have an upgraded HPOP, or they really tuned you back with the tunes on that chip. If those are 2's you're probably capable of 400HP, which makes for a GREAT running truck, but it needs some supporting mods to be reliable at those levels.

I have the zf5. But it does have a single mass conversion. I will start looking int exaust. 4" big enough? What kind of turbo suggestions? Wheel? Or complete turbo? Gauges are going in immediately. I think some of the settings on the chip are quit mild. They did have it custom tuned.

Old 08-26-2014, 10:53 AM
Royson12
Posting Guru
I will ask them what they did. They seem really knowledgeable. The mech that worked on this truck, pretty much only works on 7.3's the told me. It's a nice size shop, lots of good local reviews.

Old 08-26-2014, 11:29 AM
jchosler
Elder User

Edit: I'd call and check with them to see what injectors you really got. That invoice code doesn't make sense to me. Why would you put AD splits into a OBS? Unless that means that they were AD code injectors that were converted to 160/100 single shots?

I agree with most of this, my opinion comes from my experiance with II's being the first mod I did, the guy I bought this truck from thought the motor was dead but it was the injectors so I did that first.

Anyways... I had my stock turbo with II's for 3 years before upgrading, I only upgraded cuz it was next on the list, the stock turbo was fine even after looking at it when it was out.

My ZF5 also held up, i did the single mass flywheel as well around the same time, nothing special as far as clutch, and the thing is still working the way it should.

i did do the terminator 17* HPOP a year or so after and it kinda helped.

IMO I think as long as your cautious while driving your fine

Old 08-27-2014, 08:29 AM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
A friend of mine works there. His name is Chris Mcanally. He's the parts manager. At one time he was a member here on FTE when he had his OBS. I've never had any work done by them or met any of the other people working there, but they seem to do alright. They have a 7.3L Lightning that they bring out to race pretty often.

Quick Reply: Just installed! Stage 1 injectors and TS chip!