6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Torque Pro app - installing and using

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 08:18 AM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Torque Pro app - installing and using

Keep checking back, as I will be adding new stuff to existing posts over the next few days.

I'm going to put together some videos and instructions on how to get Torque Pro, how to add gauges, and how to use the app on your phone/tablet. I do not know everything about Torque Pro, so hopefully other people will add to this thread. I mainly use it to monitor several gauges at a time while on long trips. Currently, Torque Pro is only available for Android devices, and it will not work with Apple products.

You will need:

Torque Pro app - $ 4.95
Android phone or tablet - $ varies
OBD2 bluetooth adapter - $20-25

There are some OBD2 bluetooth adapters that work and some that don't. Maybe some people can list what has/hasn't worked for them.

I use the BAFX adapter bought at Amazon, pictured below. (Some people don't like the crazy blinking light show it puts out, never bothered me, but if it ever did, I'd put some electrical tape over the lights.)
Amazon link to it...
Robot Check Robot Check

Below is a video on how to get Torque Pro on your Android device, and some general info about setting it up. EDIT: I apologize for the crappy video quality...you can count the hairs on my knuckles, but the tablet screen is blurry

<IFRAME height=360 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OkKFdPvVmTE?rel=0" frameBorder=0 width=640 allowfullscreen=""></IFRAME>

Below is a video on adding gauges to make your custom display. I also show how to create the "delta" gauge, to show the difference between your coolant and oil temps. (bear with me on the video, I was doing this on a tablet that I no longer use, and I had issues trying to remember wtf to do.) EDIT: once again, I apologize for the crappy video quality

<IFRAME height=315 src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6IwKT-QhL6A" frameBorder=0 width=560 allowfullscreen=""></IFRAME>

Once you have all the gauges you want set up in Torque Pro, you may want to create audiable alarms for some, or all of your gauges. This is a very nice feature....such as if you're in heavy traffic or any reason you don't want to take your eye off the road to glance at the gauges. You can set a high or low alarm. (you can't have both a high and low alarm on the same gauge) An example of a low alarm is if you want to be alarmed if your FICM main power dropped to 46 volts or less .....a high alarm would be good on ect/eot deltas, or maybe boost over 28 psi, etc.

FUTURE.... Video below shows how to set up audible alarms

Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Here are the 2 screens I created on my tablet for gauges.

The first one I use to monitor the most common sensors while driving, the second one I call my diagnostics screen to view things I wouldn't normally need to watch while driving...but may need to help diagnose an issue.

Attached Images   
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
more future use....

Old 08-24-2014, 10:05 AM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
This is the Delta gauge pid info. This gauge tells you the difference between oil temp and coolant temp. You have to create this gauge, as it is not a standard gauge in TP at this time.

On main Torque Pro page, click on your Android menu button (on "most" android devices, it is the button left of your home button)

Click settings

Click "manage extra pids / sensors"

Click your Android menu button again

Click "add custom pid"

A caution message "may" come up..if it does, click OK

The OBD2 PID editor will be shown, fill in each item as shown in picture below

When done, there should be a save/OK or similar button at bottom....click it to save the delta gauge.

Attached Images  
Old 08-24-2014, 10:27 AM
MJMETHOW
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Good Information need to follow.

Old 08-24-2014, 07:25 PM
TruckingBill
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here a tip I wanted to share with y'all

If you use Torque Pro on several different type of vehicles with its own custom PID or dashboard. You can set so that each vehicle profile to have it own custom PID and dashboard display.

Select or Create a new vehicle profile

Scroll down until you see "Use separate dashboard layout" and check mark the box next to it.

Save profile

You will need to create a dashboard for each profile if you choose this method but it will help prevent error or seeing a dead gauge if you use it in a vehicle that does not support such PID or custom PID from a different vehicle.

Bill

Old 08-25-2014, 05:49 PM
TruckingBill
Freshman User
I am Deaf man so video can't help me there. But I have some questions if you don't mind answering it in post....

How do you get the ICP? Is that the same as HPOP renamed to ICP?

Also where can I find ICP V?

Thank you

Bill

Old 08-25-2014, 06:03 PM
Rellick
Senior User
Here is Torque's comparison of adapters:
Bluetooth Adapters - Torque OBD2 Wiki

By all means, do NOT get
this one this one

Old 08-25-2014, 06:11 PM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Yes HPOP = ICP pressure ( I think it's called injection control pressure on your gauge menu.

ICP volts may have been another manually entered one. Here's the editor page. ( had to give you upper and lower part of page...cant get a screen shot of whole thing at once.)

Attached Images   
Old 08-27-2014, 09:03 AM
Georgia8er
Senior User
Does anyone know if the FICM voltage you get through the Torque app is correct? Mine reads 48v, but wasn't sure if that is a real number or one generated by the PCM.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:02 AM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Georgia8er
Does anyone know if the FICM voltage you get through the Torque app is correct? Mine reads 48v, but wasn't sure if that is a real number or one generated by the PCM.
Yes, FICM main power will have normal readings of 47-49 volts at all times. (there's an amplifier in the FICM that takes 12V and makes it 48v) There are 2 other FICM gauges that should read 12+ volts.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:47 AM
Georgia8er
Senior User
Originally Posted by Money-Pit
Yes, FICM main power will have normal readings of 47-49 volts at all times. (there's an amplifier in the FICM that takes 12V and makes it 48v) There are 2 other FICM gauges that should read 12+ volts.
I knew it should read 48v, just wanted confirmation it reads the same as if I took a voltmeter and checked the test points on the FICM itself.

Old 08-27-2014, 10:58 AM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Georgia8er
I knew it should read 48v, just wanted confirmation it reads the same as if I took a voltmeter and checked the test points on the FICM itself.
Sorry, misunderstood your question. With a voltmeter on the FICM, you should see the same thing.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:02 AM
Georgia8er
Senior User
Good! That is a lot easier than using a voltmeter. Also, I have a 6-speed and Torque says I have a transmission temperature sensor. While I know the ZF-6 has a transmission cooler, I thought it odd the engine monitored the temperature. I haven't had a chance to really drive it and see if it is reading the trans temp or if it some kind of ghost reading.

Old 08-27-2014, 11:08 AM
Money-Pit
Posting Guru
I know nothing about the manual trannys in these.....was the tranny temp gauge highlighted in green in the gauge menu page, when you had the key on, and TP running?

Quick Reply: Torque Pro app - installing and using