Battery terminal - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums



1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery terminal

Reply
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 08-19-2014, 06:11 PM
RÖENTGEEP's Avatar
RÖENTGEEP RÖENTGEEP is offline
FOREIGN GURU
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Celaya, Gto. MX
Posts: 7,335
RÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to behold
Question Battery terminal

Why is happening this to the battery positive terminal, in the drivers side??
Attached Images
  
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-19-2014, 07:00 PM
fordpride's Avatar
fordpride fordpride is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Livoina,La
Posts: 15,051
fordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant future
Is that the bolt that goes in it, or did you put a longer on in it ?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-19-2014, 07:08 PM
RÖENTGEEP's Avatar
RÖENTGEEP RÖENTGEEP is offline
FOREIGN GURU
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Celaya, Gto. MX
Posts: 7,335
RÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to behold
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordpride View Post
Is that the bolt that goes in it, or did you put a longer on in it ?
I really dont know, maybe the PO changed it, IDK; I only IIRC added one terminal there for the upgraded front lights. Are you thinking, as I am, about different materials and make a chemistry reaction?


Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-19-2014, 07:20 PM
madpogue madpogue is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 7,370
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold
So you added the one red wire with the yellow insulation on the crimp? The one behind it is also aftermarket. I've found that the best place to "stack" ring terminals for additional circuits is the junction point on the starter relay. Not sure if that's what's causing your build-up, though.

And at 750 CCA, your batteries are a bit undersized. Supposed to be 850 CCA each, minimum. Maybe down there it's less of an issue.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-19-2014, 07:33 PM
RÖENTGEEP's Avatar
RÖENTGEEP RÖENTGEEP is offline
FOREIGN GURU
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Celaya, Gto. MX
Posts: 7,335
RÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to behold
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
So you added the one red wire with the yellow insulation on the crimp? The one behind it is also aftermarket. I've found that the best place to "stack" ring terminals for additional circuits is the junction point on the starter relay. Not sure if that's what's causing your build-up, though.

And at 750 CCA, your batteries are a bit undersized. Supposed to be 850 CCA each, minimum. Maybe down there it's less of an issue.
Yes as I said, IIRC I did, I dont know about the other one, like you said is aftermaket. For junction point you mean the bolt that receive the battery terminal in the starter relay? Maybe I should change to there that ring terminal.
About the batteries CCA I bought the best here in Mexico, and they are 8 years old and still working.


Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-19-2014, 07:42 PM
madpogue madpogue is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 7,370
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP View Post
Yes as I said, IIRC I did, I dont know about the other one, like you said is aftermaket. For junction point you mean the bolt that receive the battery terminal in the starter relay? Maybe I should change to there that ring terminal.
Yes, that's what I had in mind.
About the batteries CCA I bought the best here in Mexico, and they are 8 years old and still working. [/QUOTE] Ah, the joys of never having to start the truck truly COLD.....
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-19-2014, 08:10 PM
RÖENTGEEP's Avatar
RÖENTGEEP RÖENTGEEP is offline
FOREIGN GURU
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Celaya, Gto. MX
Posts: 7,335
RÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to behold
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Yes, that's what I had in mind.
About the batteries CCA I bought the best here in Mexico, and they are 8 years old and still working.
Ah, the joys of never having to start the truck truly COLD..... [/QUOTE]

Thats rigth




PS and here they (AZ) dont sell duralast GOLD.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-19-2014, 08:28 PM
fordpride's Avatar
fordpride fordpride is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Livoina,La
Posts: 15,051
fordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant futurefordpride has a brilliant future
That's what I'm thinking Jose
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-20-2014, 08:13 AM
RÖENTGEEP's Avatar
RÖENTGEEP RÖENTGEEP is offline
FOREIGN GURU
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Celaya, Gto. MX
Posts: 7,335
RÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to behold
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordpride View Post
That's what I'm thinking Jose
Im going to change the ring terminals to the starter junction, and the bolt, but what kind (material) of bolt I should put there? Nickel?


Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-20-2014, 06:19 PM
tjc transport's Avatar
tjc transport tjc transport is offline
i ain't rite
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Marlboro Mental Hospital
Posts: 44,549
tjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputationtjc transport has a superb reputation
make a mix of baking soda and hot water.
pour it over the battery terminal slowly, and wait for it to stop bubbling. then pour some more over it.
do this until everything is clean.
once clean, dry everything real good, and spray the terminal and all connections with clear coat, or any paint you have laying around.
this will help to keep the corrosion from happening again.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-20-2014, 06:49 PM
richdawg's Avatar
richdawg richdawg is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 1,387
richdawg has a good reputation on FTE.richdawg has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RÖENTGEEP View Post
Why is happening this to the battery positive terminal, in the drivers side??
I have seen + post/connections look like this before, and recently on one of my cars with an older battery. What causes it? IDK I googled it and the fallowing answer sounds similar to your problem.
"Why does the positive battery terminal keep corroding?
I recently had this happen to my 2007 ford fusion it was under warranty so i took it to the dealer and they said it was caused from the battery leaking at the Post's,they replaced the battery and the positive cable and i have not had any other problems with it since".


Here are some pics of my battery posts, pos and neg. The batts were new last fall/winter, as you can see i have extra cables similar to yours that run a power amp for my cb radio. I had the same set up with my old batteries with no problems. My reason for connecting directly to the posts, was i always thought it best to get power directly form the source.


Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-20-2014, 07:10 PM
RÖENTGEEP's Avatar
RÖENTGEEP RÖENTGEEP is offline
FOREIGN GURU
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Celaya, Gto. MX
Posts: 7,335
RÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to behold
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjc transport View Post
make a mix of baking soda and hot water.
pour it over the battery terminal slowly, and wait for it to stop bubbling. then pour some more over it.
do this until everything is clean.
once clean, dry everything real good, and spray the terminal and all connections with clear coat, or any paint you have laying around.
this will help to keep the corrosion from happening again.
Tom,
I did the first part till was clean but, following your comment, Im going to spray the terminal with clear coat. I think is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richdawg View Post
I have seen + post/connections look like this before, and recently on one of my cars with an older battery. What causes it? IDK I googled it and the fallowing answer sounds similar to your problem.
"Why does the positive battery terminal keep corroding?
I recently had this happen to my 2007 ford fusion it was under warranty so i took it to the dealer and they said it was caused from the battery leaking at the Post's,they replaced the battery and the positive cable and i have not had any other problems with it since".


Here are some pics of my battery posts, pos and neg. The batts were new last fall/winter, as you can see i have extra cables similar to yours that run a power amp for my cb radio. I had the same set up with my old batteries with no problems. My reason for connecting directly to the posts, was i always thought it best to get power directly form the source.
Rich,
Maybe the issue is caused from the battery leaking at the Post's, remember that they are almost 8 years old

Thanks for your input gentlemen


Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-20-2014, 07:14 PM
RÖENTGEEP's Avatar
RÖENTGEEP RÖENTGEEP is offline
FOREIGN GURU
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Celaya, Gto. MX
Posts: 7,335
RÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to beholdRÖENTGEEP is a splendid one to behold
Exclamation

BTW I dont discard the chemistry reaction at all.


Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Positive battery terminal corrosion 61 uni 2009 - 2014 F150 2 05-15-2016 09:47 PM
Replacement battery terminal queen of spades 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel 29 01-21-2016 06:50 AM
What size wrench for Battery terminal KDAVID1 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 14 07-04-2015 07:43 PM
Battery cable Terminals hotweekend 1999 to 2016 Super Duty 3 05-29-2015 06:49 PM
Electrical question creedua 1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 18 02-02-2015 09:06 PM


Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums >

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:38 AM.


 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
What's your question?
Send