replace stock radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 05:25 PM
johnyce
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
replace stock radio

Hi everyone!
I want to upgrade my dear old 1991 F-250 sound system. I wish to replace the stock radio with a AM/FM/CD player. What years & model will fit into the dash space of my truck?
Thanks for ya'all help,
John

Old 08-17-2014, 06:32 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by johnyce
Hi everyone!
I want to upgrade my dear old 1991 F-250 sound system. I wish to replace the stock radio with a AM/FM/CD player. What years & model will fit into the dash space of my truck?
Thanks for ya'all help,
John
Hi! Ya might want to post your question in the correct forum. 1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Better yet, how about doing your own homework like visiting Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, LED LCD TV, Cameras ?

Yeah, that'll work.

Old 08-17-2014, 11:05 PM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts
Some people...

Old 08-18-2014, 12:44 AM
johnyce
New User
HIO Silver,
Thanks for the warm reply. With an attitude like that you sure could drive away anyone seeking to join the group. I thought I was on the correct forum or I would not have posted. But pardon me, it was my first post (and maybe my last)

My question is the same and you could have given me you answer and then friendly like directed me to the correct site.

To state I did not do my home work would make someone think this site was the first I went to when in fact I have been to many sites, looking what was to be offered , but not to the one you have so kindly provided.

Thanks for the great introduction to the group,
john

Old 08-18-2014, 12:58 AM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
John, we are not a bad group. Read some of the other threads and you will see quite the opposite.

If it was truly a mistake posting in the wrong forum, then you are forgiven. But even I read your post and took it the same way. To me, it SOUNDED like you just wanted an answer handed to you.

Still, there are way to many options for what you want to do, but in this forum, for the 1967-1972 trucks, you won't find an answer. And even in the correct forum, I doubt that you will get one. Simply because there are so many answers. You say you have been on many sites, well I have some advice for you. Instead of looking online, go to your local auto parts or an audio dealer and look at what they have. Swapping radios is very easy to do, and there are many kits to do it with.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:54 AM
johnyce
New User
swaping radios

Thanks for your reply,
After I sent an reply to HIO Silver I received two e-mails from sites that sell radio/CD players and have their site set up to provide a product according to year, make and model, but no luck.

I like your idea and will stop at the NAPA store and maybe another auto parts store. I can also stop at the Ford dealership but I'm not sure they are into selling radio but they may be able to give me a spread of years of truck production I could work with.

As far as HIO goes I the same information he gave along with your information could have given me (and others) the right direction without hitting me over the head. Your replay was much better received. Thanks again.

As far as seeking an answer, it would seem like this kind of site should be full of answers. Why would a person need to go to great lengths in research if someone has already done the research and has an answer. Personally if I have an answer to a question I am proud to be able to help solve a problem. I see this as part of a forum of like interests.
John

Last edited by johnyce; 08-18-2014 at 10:59 AM. Reason: add informaton
Old 08-18-2014, 11:15 AM
quinletc
Senior User
John,

I am fairly new here myself. There are a bunch of very knowledgeable and helpful people on this board, and HIO Silver is one of them. I think your experience was just a case of miscommunication, and I hope you'll stick around. Though I would guess the forum for your year truck will be more useful to you.

I owned a '93 for around 10 years, and I absolutely loved that truck. I often wish I had kept it. Removing the radio in a 93 (and I believe it's the same for a 91) is really simple, but you need the correct tool. There should be 4 small holes in the face of your radio - one at each corner.

Two wire horseshoes - one left and one right - slide into these holes, making loops you can use to pull the radio straight out of the dash. You can find the tool here. Or just do a Google search for "ford radio removal tool."

Once you have it out, you can shop the stores, find what you like, and then see if it's available online for less.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:44 AM
351Cleveland C4
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by johnyce
Why would a person need to go to great lengths in research if someone has already done the research and has an answer. Personally if I have an answer to a question I am proud to be able to help solve a problem. I see this as part of a forum of like interests. John
So that one may learn by themselves and gain the knowledge first hand. We are more than willing to help anyone, so long as they help themselves.

Old 08-18-2014, 01:58 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by 351Cleveland C4
So that one may learn by themselves and gain the knowledge first hand. We are more than willing to help anyone, so long as they help themselves.
Ding... You get a cigar.