1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should i buy gas or diesel?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 07:12 PM
brokersteve
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should i buy gas or diesel?

Hello all. I'm not new to this forum, but new to this category. I have a pair of dent sides with 400's. I am selling my daily driver (2008 Ford Edge Ltd) and am wanting a daily driver truck(about 25k miles per year, mixed use). I really would like some input on what you think would be best for my scenario. I would like to spend up to $25K, but should be closer to 20K. I really like the idea of getting a diesel, but I certainly don't need one. I plan to upgrade my pop up camper to a larger travel trailer or fifth wheel. Probably under 8K lbs. My attraction to the diesel is because it holds its value so well. I do not normally keep cars longer than two or three years. If I get the right buy now, I may be able to come close to breaking even on it when I sell.

I like comforts (navigation, leather, full power, upscale trim, etc.). I'm leaning towards a King Ranch F-250. I found a 2008 with the 6.4 for around $22K. It has less than 180K miles. I could probably buy a 2010 base or XLT for around the same. On the other hand, I can buy a 2009 King Ranch F-150 with 5.4 for around the same, with under 100K miles. I might like to find a 2003 with the 7.3. I will buy a 4x4 either way.

One of my concerns is fuel economy. I will only pull my camper about once per month, probably less than 200 miles round trip. I don't know if that is enough to justify the diesel. Would the fuel economy be better on the gas truck over time? Both would be crew cab, long beds.

I have never owned and maintained a diesel truck, but am not intimidated. I'm a pretty good wrencher. What do you all think I should do? Any input or similar decisions made would be much appreciated. Sorry for the long post.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:33 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
For $20k, or less, you can find a nice f150 (or f250) gasser, which should be in really nice shape and less mileage.

A diesel in that price range, 6.0 or 6.4, is going to cost more and have more mileage and likely have fewer fancy options and more wear and tear.

The diesel vs gas, purchase price trade off vs cost per mile discussions have been repeated numerous times. If you want a diesel, that is great, if you want a gas engine that is great too.

Sent from my Sprint PC36100 using IB AutoGroup

Old 08-03-2014, 07:37 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
I would not touch a 6.4l with a 10' pole, but that is me. I would buy a 6.0l long before a 6.4l. If your camper is not too big and an F-150 can handle I would look at a 11'up F-150 with a 5.0l. The mpg will decent with the 5.0l/6speed combo and maint costs will be low compared to the diesel. Depending on what type of driving you will be doing you could be looking at 9-14mpg with a gasser 250 or 350.

Old 08-03-2014, 07:38 PM
Hotpocket
Elder User
Buy what you want and don't look back..Both will do a great job...diesel will get better mileage but gas is less to maintain and own. A gas motor is way less complex and has less things to break down.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:23 PM
Forddiesel06
Senior User
Here we go again gas or diesel.....

Old 08-04-2014, 05:48 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
Originally Posted by Forddiesel06
Here we go again gas or diesel.....
If that starts we'll lock the thread. No worries.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:43 AM
sammy77
Postmaster
Originally Posted by dkf
I would not touch a 6.4l with a 10' pole, but that is me. I would buy a 6.0l long before a 6.4l. If your camper is not too big and an F-150 can handle I would look at a 11'up F-150 with a 5.0l. The mpg will decent with the 5.0l/6speed combo and maint costs will be low compared to the diesel. Depending on what type of driving you will be doing you could be looking at 9-14mpg with a gasser 250 or 350.

I could not agree more.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:09 AM
brokersteve
Senior User
Hey, I'm not wanted to start that debate. I did some searching, and saw lots of threads (obviously), but did not find much on my particular scenario. I'm not asking which diesel motor is best, LOL. I was just hoping for some first hand experience from those who switched from gas because they wanted to, not because they needed to and whether they would do anything different if they were doing it over again.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:23 AM
Irelands child
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
It boils down to whatever 'floats your boat'. If I was faced with your scenario and with no huge travel trailer, it would be back to a gasser. Whatever breaks on a gas truck can almost always be fixed by your favorite garage. If something breaks on a diesel, your favorite 'garage' may become the local Ford dealership and it always costs more.

But with that said, if you are lusting after a diesel --- do it. And in the vintage range you are looking at, might consider a Brand D instead of a 6.0 or 6.4

Old 08-04-2014, 08:01 AM
tjcprop
Elder User
I had a difficult decision on this same topic. Thought a diesel was required for my business. Decided on a gas truck and have not regretted that choice. Up here in Canada, gas is cheaper and not all service stations sell diesel fuel.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:04 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You will be able to get a newer gasser with fewer miles on it than the diesel.
As pointed out by others, the repair costs on diesels can be extremely high and while most everything in the diesel driveline is stronger than the gassers, you still have the same body and interior.
For my money in your position, I would choose a newer gasser. Consider tossing a bit more at it and get the 6.2 if you can.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:17 AM
cattlerancher
Senior User
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
You will be able to get a newer gasser with fewer miles on it than the diesel.
As pointed out by others, the repair costs on diesels can be extremely high and while most everything in the diesel driveline is stronger than the gassers, you still have the same body and interior.
For my money in your position, I would choose a newer gasser. Consider tossing a bit more at it and get the 6.2 if you can.

To my knowledge the driveline is the same in gas or diesel...Same trans tcase axels only difference is the motor. Other than early 6.0's that came with 5r100 while gassers didn't get the upgrade till 05

Old 08-04-2014, 09:30 AM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cattlerancher
To my knowledge the driveline is the same in gas or diesel...Same trans tcase axels only difference is the motor. Other than early 6.0's that came with 5r100 while gassers didn't get the upgrade till 05
Well if that is true (and it may be), the tech that told me that the diesels got uprated torque convertors and beefier clutch packs in the trannies was incorrect.

Also, I thought that the front drive axles in the 4x4's were uprated along with the suspension. Again, it may be misinformation.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:38 AM
cattlerancher
Senior User
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
Well if that is true (and it may be), the tech that told me that the diesels got uprated torque convertors and beefier clutch packs in the trannies was incorrect.

Also, I thought that the front drive axles in the 4x4's were uprated along with the suspension. Again, it may be misinformation.
Interesting...That could be with new models, hopefully someone else can straighten it out. Im sure the front springs have higher load rating to handle the extra weight of the diesel.

Old 08-04-2014, 09:49 AM
AAubinoe
Tuned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dkf
Got any good links to information about the 6.0 vs 6.4L? One day id like to get one too, but ive always heard "6.0s are junk and 6.4s have all the issues fixed". Thats pretty much as much as I know about them! Dont want to start another discussion, would just like to educate myself a little better!

Quick Reply: Should i buy gas or diesel?