Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

Got a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 08:23 PM
procharged97gt
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a few questions

Hi im looking to get a ford truck and im considering the idi.
What kind of fuel mileage should i expect?
Also How is the power stock?

If i think of anything else ill post again/edit.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:34 PM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Fuel mileage of a good running IDI should range from 15 to 18 MPG. They are work horses, not stallions but with mods and a turbo, they can make decent power. They are super simple to work on, but be ready to tinker with her to work out all of the bugs from the PO.

Good luck,

Mac.

Old 07-27-2014, 08:53 PM
procharged97gt
New User
How expensive are -parts vs a gas motor?

Old 07-27-2014, 09:23 PM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
Most parts are comparable. What is more expensive are fluid changes and routine maintenance. The IDI takes 11+ quarts of oil and 8 gallons of coolant (4 of antifreeze and 4 of distilled water). Once you get them dialed in, they are pretty care free though.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:41 PM
procharged97gt
New User
Originally Posted by akamacgyver
Most parts are comparable. What is more expensive are fluid changes and routine maintenance. The IDI takes 11+ quarts of oil and 8 gallons of coolant (4 of antifreeze and 4 of distilled water). Once you get them dialed in, they are pretty care free though.
Ok sounds good. Im new to diesels so whats better in a diesel conventional or synthetic oil?

Old 07-27-2014, 09:47 PM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
Many here use synthetic, I use Valvoline premium blue conventional in both my trucks.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:52 PM
waystro
Senior User
My 86 f250 diesel has a c6 automatic with a shift kit. No other mods and it will spin the tires taking off from a stop light.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:10 PM
procharged97gt
New User
is there any better combo to look for? i definetaly want a 4x4 and would most likely have to have a stick? any years to avoid?
thanks for all the help.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:58 PM
akamacgyver
Clueless spectator!
It depends a lot on which body style you want. 7th gen (aka brick nose I believe) with a diesel was 83 to 86 all 6.9's. 8th gen (bull nose I think) was 87 (last and some say best version of the 6.9) to 91 (88 and newer went to the 7.3), and my personal favorite was the OBS (old body style) from 92 to 94. If you are looking for better mileage and freeway speeds, you are going to want a zf5 (manual) or e40d (automatic) transmission. The 93 and 94 were the only year available with a factory turbo, which is just the ATS 093 turbo with Ford markings. The 83 model year had block casting issues around the block heater. If you are going for braun, the 88 and newer F350's came with a solid axle Dana 60 front which is a sturdier front axle than the ttb Dana 44 or 50 in all f250's I believe. This information is off of the top of my head, and I am quite certain it will be corrected if I have misspoken!

Old 07-28-2014, 12:47 AM
Dreded
New User
I just bought a 1990 7.3 IDI F-250 Non-Turbo and couldn't be happier... everyone I knew said "I wouldn't get it, it doesn't have enough power" while I haven't driven it a ton iv put about 200k on it now and don't see a lack of power for what I want. I mean its not about to win the land speed record or anything but as my camping vehicle I am thinking ill be more than happy with its hauling ability.

The tranny is a zf5 and the running gear is 3.55's I am doing about 1800rpm at 65mph and when starting from a stop while empty I find starting in second is the way to go it takes off pretty good and you won't end up with the guy behind you riding your *** as first gear is granny speeds. Personally id stay away from the E4OD tranny as in my last truck(1994 F-250 7.5l) it was nothing but problems and hard to find parts for.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:36 PM
procharged97gt
New User
thinking about this one

what do yall think about this one?
What are some things to look for with these trucks? It seems like a good deal to me.
l1988 f250 idi

Old 07-28-2014, 10:51 PM
Macrobb
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by procharged97gt
What are some things to look for with these trucks? It seems like a good deal to me.
l1988 f250 idi
If it starts when cold without ether, that's a point in it's favor -- means the GPs are working and you don't need to fix them.
You do want to check the tranny -- make sure the synchros work(as in, smoothly shifts into third etc), and it goes into reverse without much hassle. If not, I'd try to get some money off the price, depending on how bad it is.
The synchros are the 'weak point' on the ZF-5, and you can tell how worn the transmission is that way.

Also, I'd look under the truck quite a bit -- where is it leaking from, and how much? Is it all just old grease, or are you seeing liquid oil dripping under it.

Look for a leaking radiator -- you can usually see either liquid or tracks where it has dried.

Other than that, just get a test drive -- make sure it works.

Now, everything I've pointed out up there is fixable... I just wouldn't pay full asking price if it has those issues(unless it's *way* under average price for one of these in your area already).

Old 07-28-2014, 11:22 PM
procharged97gt
New User
Originally Posted by Macrobb
If it starts when cold without ether, that's a point in it's favor -- means the GPs are working and you don't need to fix them.
You do want to check the tranny -- make sure the synchros work(as in, smoothly shifts into third etc), and it goes into reverse without much hassle. If not, I'd try to get some money off the price, depending on how bad it is.
The synchros are the 'weak point' on the ZF-5, and you can tell how worn the transmission is that way.

Also, I'd look under the truck quite a bit -- where is it leaking from, and how much? Is it all just old grease, or are you seeing liquid oil dripping under it.

Look for a leaking radiator -- you can usually see either liquid or tracks where it has dried.

Other than that, just get a test drive -- make sure it works.

Now, everything I've pointed out up there is fixable... I just wouldn't pay full asking price if it has those issues(unless it's *way* under average price for one of these in your area already).
so basically the same as buying a car? Was wondering if theres anything diesel specific. Thanks for your help.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:54 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,279 Likes on 2,279 Posts
pay close attention to the bottom of the radiator support. they rot out and can not be found new. only used/repaired and they cost a small fortune.
also ask if the flywheel has ever been replaced. the dual mass flywheel that came in these trucks are ticking time bombs.

Old 07-29-2014, 05:47 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
l1988 f250 idi
that seems fair.i think it's worth a look.if it's a solid 4x4 diesel truck and if the miles are not too crazy high.he's probably got that one priced to move.i'd go look at that one if $2500 was my price range for sure.
the year and the miles are the most vital source of info about a used vehicle (as a general rule for what you should be paying.there are exceptions like if it comes with high cost accessories or resto's etc.) it always bugs me to see either left out.

so basically the same as buying a car? Was wondering if theres anything diesel specific. Thanks for your help.
well you can ask and look at the general state of tune.fyi the ip should have a reman tag on it.if you don't see one,it's likely never had a reman ip yet and no doubt will be in need.$500 avg price tag there.
the injectors.if they're gray,they're likely oem.$300+ avg set there.
if the engine doesn't have a fairly strong rattle to it,like if it's almost so quite it kinda could pass for a big block gas job,it's likely been neglected with timing too.
really you've got to plan on the idi being underpowered from stock just due to aged medium ware items and the idi tune doesn't come cheap.this can run ya around a grand if you want it getting decent economy,not blowing black smoke,and running strong again.
you can ask about coolant maintenance.don't volunteer any info.just ask that question alone and see if you schooled or not about sca levels.if not,well it's probably priced right anyway but if he did treat the coolant,how many owners were there before him and did they properly maintain the diesel? it's all a gamble brother.don't gamble outside your means and you'll be ok lol.good luck.

you've got to use caution and know what your getting into as well.your probably just looking for something reliable you can hop in and run to work,take fishing,haul home some firewood.for me,mine are commercially used heavy haulers so the purchase price for my trucks are just the warm up price.to set 'em up like (or better) to new again,you can blow by the purchase price in no time of an idi truck.so have a plan and know old trucks can sure use lots of loving lol.

Quick Reply: Got a few questions