Sponsored by:

basic trail rig need advice tips

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2014, 09:07 PM
roadrash63
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Nothing Special
A lunchbox locker in the rear (Lock-Right or something similar) ought to be a lot less expensive than $1000 and you can install it yourself (at least in many axles, I can't say for sure about a Dana 61). Again, that will give some quirks with the back end wanting to come around front more easily. But I drive my F-150 with a Lock-Right in the rear for about 9 Minnesota winters. It's not that bad.

I wouldn't bother with a limited slip if I were you. Almost as much cost as a locker, almost as much driveability issues in snow, but no where near as much help when you really need it. The only reason I see to put a limited slip in a trail rig is if you're really trying to go on the cheap and you already have an axle with the limited slip in it.

I had the old BFG Mud-Terrains on a couple of trucks (can't speak for the newer KM2s). They weren't great on packed snow or ice, but in deep snow they were good. I'd think most any real mud tire would be similar, good in deep snow, much less so on roads where it's packed. I've been happiest with BFG All-Terrains for my all-around use. They probably aren't quite as good as true snow tires (think Blizzak) on ice, but they don't wear out instantly if you leave them on year 'round. They certainly aren't great in mud though, and aren't as good in deep snow as the Mud-Terrains were.
nothing special thanks for your input.
I was thinking airlocker or ox locker from previous comments. needing selectable.
does the lock right suddenly kick in or do you notice it ?
when does it come on ?
how hard was install ?

I was watching some reviews and stuff on the bfgs.
I believe we have pretty similar weather except im in a lake effect snow belt...
id want to stay in the stock size 285/16.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:08 PM
roadrash63
Elder User
Originally Posted by im2tall33
I have to say my cooper discoverer stt's do great in the snow and mud. All around are a good tire I havent noticed any noticeable tread wear yet and they have about 10,000 miles on them. The keys is to rotate thrm often. Even with them being 12.5 inches wide they did great this winter. Better than my 9 inch wide big horn maxxis mud tires
ok thank you
I will check them out !

Old 07-21-2014, 09:17 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
In case it was missed in my first post I'm with im2tall33 with the STTs they are a awesome tire. I have a set on my wife's 2008 grand cherokee and I have no complaints other then they wear fast. 35k miles and there junk. A friend had a set on OBS f150 same miles and junk but no complaints, we both rotated every 5k miles. The more they wear the louder like any tire, they also get very stiff and will make a new set of shocks feel like there junk. Well worth it hands down. Very good balance imo

Old 07-21-2014, 09:37 PM
Nothing Special
Logistics Pro
Received 50 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by roadrash63
nothing special thanks for your input.
I was thinking airlocker or ox locker from previous comments. needing selectable.
does the lock right suddenly kick in or do you notice it ?
when does it come on ?
how hard was install ?

I was watching some reviews and stuff on the bfgs.
I believe we have pretty similar weather except im in a lake effect snow belt...
id want to stay in the stock size 285/16.
An air-or OX locker is nice if you've got the money. But an automatic is cheaper and usually works out well. The Lock Right engages solidly (as do all automatic lockers), it doesn't "feather" in. But it's drivability is comparable to a Detroit or any other automatic locker.

I installed one in the 8.8" rear end in my '95 F-150 and my buddy put one in his Ch*vy 10-bolt. In both cases the hardest part of the job was getting the brake drums off. Again, I don't know how it would go in your axle.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:48 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
My advice...

Welder... I have a 120V Lincoln ProMIG 140, which is really a Lincoln PowerMIG 140T in disguise and sold by Lowe's that I picked up on sale there and have successfully welded my frame with it as well as a few other things. How strong your weld is depends more on how you prep your weld zone and how good your technique is, than what the welder can put out. Don't get me wrong, you'll never get the penetration or heat that a 220V unit can put out so you CANNOT have unrealistic expectations. They can do more than just sheet metal, but I wouldn't try to weld 1/4" plate with one either... even though the label inside the door claims you can with multiple passes.

Tires... if you're going in the mud, get something with a beefy sidewall. Not only will they be less prone to getting cut by that half-buried junk you didn't see, but you can air them down when you need extra traction. Don't go too low on the air pressure unless you have a way to air them back up for the ride home. Use 4H when possible and if you lose traction, keep the RPM's up so the tread can clean out. If you have a "stupid" automatic trans like me then you'll want to run in manual 1st or 2nd gear... otherwise the trans will think it knows best and kick you into 3rd/4th gear at which point you might sink and be in need of the next item on the list...

Winch... I have that HF/Badland 12k winch that was mentioned, and it will do just fine. Notice when you get it that there is NO thimble on the cable eye. I cut the factory swaged connection off and installed a stainless thimble. Couldn't find anyone around here to swage it back together so I used the appropriate cable clamps instead... make sure you put these on correctly and they'll be just fine. At least they have been for me.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:00 PM
roadrash63
Elder User
ty dixie460

thanks for the info.
ill check that welder even tho the nearest Loews is 40 miles away.
but home depot is 2 blocks away!

good 4x4 driving tips too
how did you mount your winch ?

Old 07-22-2014, 05:35 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
i mounted my winch on a 1/2 inch steel plate, then welded the plate to a tube that fit into the hitch receiver.
i also have a front mount hitch. this way i can mount it front or rear.

when going to get someone unstuck, the winch goes in the front receiver to pull them back to me.
if i am going into an unknown area, the winch goes in the rear receiver so if i get stuck i can pull myself back to known hard ground.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:56 PM
roadrash63
Elder User
winch locked on hitch ?

ok
is your winch locked on hitch ?
how heavy is it ?

Old 07-24-2014, 03:53 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,090 Likes on 2,154 Posts
i have a hitch lock, but i do not leave it on the truck. it is in the tool box in the bed.
i only put it on when needed.
total weight is around 75-80 lbs or so.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:10 AM
xrsfsho
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a lot have mentioned the cooper discovery sst tires are great in every terrain I have seen them in. My father has them on his 08 FJ and he has had them in heavy snow and slush and mud. Not crazy mud pit depth but mud while hunting couple of inches deap with no issue what so ever. If I have the money I would get them

Old 07-25-2014, 06:54 AM
dixie460
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by roadrash63
ty dixie460

thanks for the info.
ill check that welder even tho the nearest Loews is 40 miles away.
but home depot is 2 blocks away!

good 4x4 driving tips too
how did you mount your winch ?
You're welcome, and Home Depot also sells the same exact welder under another name. It's called Weld-Pak 140HD or something like that. Lincoln just takes their PowerMIG 140T and puts a different label on it for either HD or Lowe's so that each store can sell their "own line" of Lincoln welders, that way nobody can get a price-match if one store sells cheaper than the other. I'd guess that most customers that go into a store like HD or Lowe's either won't know or don't care what they are actually buying as long as it works. Then there's people like me that research everything before buying anything.

And here's how I mounted my winch:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post14264383

Old 07-25-2014, 09:11 AM
hav24wheel
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 96 Likes on 78 Posts
Originally Posted by dixie460

Hate to say it, but you should reinforce the crumple zone frame up there before you do too much heavy pulling.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:52 PM
roadrash63
Elder User
cool set up

Originally Posted by dixie460
You're welcome, and Home Depot also sells the same exact welder under another name. It's called Weld-Pak 140HD or something like that. Lincoln just takes their PowerMIG 140T and puts a different label on it for either HD or Lowe's so that each store can sell their "own line" of Lincoln welders, that way nobody can get a price-match if one store sells cheaper than the other. I'd guess that most customers that go into a store like HD or Lowe's either won't know or don't care what they are actually buying as long as it works. Then there's people like me that research everything before buying anything.

ty
yes that's the welder I was looking at.
nice winch mount just what I was looking for
except ive got an f250 w leaf springs...
ty !

Old 07-26-2014, 12:55 PM
roadrash63
Elder User
Originally Posted by JOHN2001
Now it makes sense why the budget is so low for the truck..... The truck fund got cobbled up in the bike fund lol. That's a nice looking bike
ty
its a 2008 Harley road king classic, 6 speed od, 96 CI.

Old 07-26-2014, 12:56 PM
roadrash63
Elder User
Originally Posted by hav24wheel
Hate to say it, but you should reinforce the crumple zone frame up there before you do too much heavy pulling.
ok
whats that ?

Quick Reply: basic trail rig need advice tips