6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

ABS problem!

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 11:20 AM
shouldofboughtachevy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ABS problem!

I bought a brand new Ford F250 XLT and after only having it a few days i noticed a rubbing noise when i would turn. It has a 6" Full Throttle Lift and 35" Nitto MT tires. So my first thought was that maybe my tires were rubbing but i had plenty of clearance so I decided to take it in to get it looked at. They told me the ABS was engaging and so after days in the shop they decided to change out the censors and that didn't work. Then they tried changing out the module. That didn't work. Then they thought the suspension was too lose so they put a heavier fox suspension on it and that lessened when it would happen but it still does it when i turn and accelerate or turn and decelerate. The truck has now been in the shop for over thirty days and so i am paying money for a new truck but stuck driving a cheap rental. The dealership is running out of ideas, and my patients is running thin. Apparently this particular truck has 4 ABS censors and the one that is causing the problem measures Yaw. Does anyone have any ideas? I would like to avoid getting another truck sense the dealership went out and put an expensive suspension on my truck.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:35 PM
TRENT310
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The ABS unit (Ford calls it the Hydraulic Control Unit - HCU) also performs the traction control functions, that's the noise you're hearing is the ABS unit solenoids working on the hydraulic lines. So does this happen when you have Advancetrac and Traction Control fully disabled or with the fuse pulled out? Remember that while you can "turn off" those systems temporarily with the switch on the dash, they re-activate if vehicle speed goes over 35mph or about 60km/h.

The ABS/Traction control computer is confused by the input from the yaw sensor because your truck is taller than before. The Roll Stability Control feature uses input from the yaw sensor, among other sensors, to determine when it thinks the vehicle is losing control.

It's not really a truck problem, it's just a consequence of the modifications to the suspension. While you seem frustrated with the truck being in the shop, I would really be frustrated with your dealer not knowing what the heck is going on and blindly throwing parts.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:57 PM
shouldofboughtachevy
New User
They said they programed the computer for the six inch lift and tires, if i push the button on the dash to disengage the traction control the truck runs great! So what should i have the dealership do as far as the yaw sensor goes? I know some trucks with the camper package don't have that fourth sensor, is it possible to have the fourth sensor removed or have the module swapped out completely to the camper package that has the three sensor system?

Old 07-19-2014, 06:15 PM
drcadams
New User
I also have this issue on a 2014 f350 ccsb. I have added a 4" rancho lift as well as 37" nitto trail grapplers. This immediately threw off the factory nav unit, which was corrected by disconnecting battery to reset nav. Also have had issues with traction control activating inadvertantly on turns. Ford dealer tried reflashing the abs module, but to no avail. Symptoms disappear with traction control turned off. Sorry I am of no help but am very interested to see f you are successful in resolving issue. You are not the only one.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:07 AM
drcadams
New User
I noticed that the super lift has an option for new radius arms or a drop bracket on their 6" lift. The rancho lift also has replacement radius arms with no drop bracket. I have driven 2 other 2014 super duty's that had a 6" lift and did not have the issue our trucks are having. I was wondering if your truck had the radius arms replaced or just reused stock with lowering bracket.

Both of the new trucks I have driven without this issue have reused stock radius arms w drop bracket. It may be possible that the aftermarket radius arms have changed the suspension geometry enough to fool the yaw sensor when diving into turns.

I am grasping for explanations at this point because a ford tech and an ford engineer have had no luck resolving this issue. They say the truck has no programmable parameters for traction control or abs. When they re flashed my truck , it actually got worse. This leads me to believe there may be some adaptive learning capabilities in the system. Otherwise I am also ready to move this truck on down the road which is a shame because other than this issue it is an amazing and beautiful truck.

If your dealer has any success please post results. I am not ready to throw in towel just yet but am also frustrated like you are.

Old 07-20-2014, 12:59 PM
shouldofboughtachevy
New User
Well i do know that they had the exact same truck on the lot and it also had a 6" lift with 35" tires that did not have the problem that my truck is having. The only difference between the two trucks were that the other truck had the camper package and mine did not. That is why the dealer ship spent $8,000 on better and heavier duty suspension. But doing some research I found that the camper package trucks run on a 3 sensor ABS system and mine has the 4 sensor system. The fourth sensor is for yaw, and they don't put them on the camper package trucks because a trailer would cause the truck to sway more and would be setting off the sensor. I am in the process of seeing if they can take the four channel module out and put in the three channel module in.

Old 07-20-2014, 04:04 PM
drcadams
New User
The last truck I drove had a 6" lift and 37" tires installed by the dealer. This particular truck did not have the camper package and did not have the over sensitive traction control like mine does.

If that yaw sensor could be deleted with the camper pkg module I think you are on the right track. Let me know if that works. I would be willing to try before I get rid of my truck.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:29 PM
RigTrash601
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any resolution to the issue?

Old 07-21-2014, 06:30 PM
drcadams
New User
No resolution on my end. I have run out of ideas. My next step is to install original tires. If this helps then I know it is probably related to abs module and if not it would point to the lift kit and the yaw sensor.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:25 PM
marchare011
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE.

A few months ago, I would get the ABS light every time I would turn into my driveway. It was a hard right hand turn at about 130 degrees. As I was turning I was also braking. I could duplicate the problem very easily. Took it to my dealer and he found a loose connection/harness somewhere in the left front wheel well. Haven't had an issue since.

Hope you find a solution to your problem soon.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:26 AM
FordService
Official Ford Rep
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by shouldofboughtachevy
..They told me the ABS was engaging and so after days in the shop they decided to change out the censors and that didn't work. Then they tried changing out the module. That didn't work. Then they thought the suspension was too lose so they put a heavier fox suspension on it and that lessened when it would happen but it still does it...
Originally Posted by drcadams
I also have this issue on a 2014 f350 ccsb...
Hi shouldofboughtachevy and drcadams,

I want to jump in here and do what I can to help. PM me your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership; I'll start researching some options.

Crystal

Old 07-22-2014, 04:57 PM
drcadams
New User
Crystal

Thank you for the generous offer. I will gladly accept. Once I figure out how to pm , I will get you the requested info.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:10 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by drcadams
Crystal

Thank you for the generous offer. I will gladly accept. Once I figure out how to pm , I will get you the requested info.
you need at least 10 posts before private message becomes active under other peoples ID in the left of the message.
go to the one page topic and say Hi. or post more here..

FTE works hard to avoid robots pushing spam.

Old 07-22-2014, 05:46 PM
drcadams
New User
drcadams truck

Old 07-22-2014, 05:48 PM
drcadams
New User
Picture of F350 with 4" lift and 37" tires. only 3 more posts to go.

Quick Reply: ABS problem!