6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Ford Warranty Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 11:16 PM
sledhead_24_7
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I thought that due to the fact it is a major emissions component that the DPF was actually forced by the EPA to be warrantied to 150,000 miles.

At least I heard that somewhere, could be wrong though, it was a while back so........

Last edited by sledhead_24_7; 07-16-2014 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-17-2014, 05:02 AM
gsxr1300
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's 50k miles on vehicles over 8000 lb gvw, if I remember correctly.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:50 AM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
answer

Originally Posted by sdetweil
have you seen a service to do this? I know that was the intent, but I've never seen a 'refurbished' DPF swap or let us clean yours offering
Diesel Particulate Filter Cleaning Service - FSX inc.
This one you send it in.

I would also look around your area for large trucks stops or large diesel repair shops.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:32 PM
MikeyKazoo
New User
50,000 mile warranty is right. Hold on to your wallets, my service guy says $3100 part!! Thats a big chunk of change for a "maintenance item"

Old 07-17-2014, 04:59 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
CALL FSX

Give FSX a call. I have seen the ford 6.4 cleaned multiple times, Never a 6.7.

On edit,

On youtube lots of video of people cleaning it with air and water.

For the GREENIES, ASH is not toxic, some of the metals are but still rated for the land fill.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:35 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by sdetweil
have you seen a service to do this? I know that was the intent, but I've never seen a 'refurbished' DPF swap or let us clean yours offering
I've seen such a setup at Minuteman Trucks, who happens to be a site sponsor. The equipment uses compressed air to clean out the pores in the filter. I believe they charge about a thousand bucks to clean a DPF.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:56 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
The equipment uses compressed air to clean out the pores in the filter. I believe they charge about a thousand bucks to clean a DPF.
A Thousand bucks for shooting it with compressed air. Sounds like a steal.

Old 07-17-2014, 08:22 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by bridge
A Thousand bucks for shooting it with compressed air. Sounds like a steal.
There's more to it than that. The setup I saw at Minuteman was robotic and took several hours. I was told the equipment cost about $50,000 for them to clean them.

Old 07-18-2014, 12:11 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Lots More on clean

Originally Posted by Tom
There's more to it than that. The setup I saw at Minuteman was robotic and took several hours. I was told the equipment cost about $50,000 for them to clean them.
It heats the DPF for 12 to 24 hours at reversed air flow. It will also report on the over health before and after the cleaning and compare it to the factory NEW spec's.

But yes you could do something cheap with a pressure washer that would give you 50 percent of the same results.

Big Diesel rigs have this done commonly. It just something that has to be factored in.

I don't understand why cleaning it has a bad feel to it.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:13 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Sorry, I don't mean to be obtuse (OK, I kinda do) but, it just seems pricey to pay that much for a chimney sweep. Where's Dick Van Dyke when you need him?

This is a problem I'm concerned about as I work from home and much of my driving is short hops around town with the exception of towing my RV every few weeks. I know I'm heading for an impacted DPF.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:19 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by donovan
It heats the DPF for 12 to 24 hours at reversed air flow. It will also report on the over health before and after the cleaning and compare it to the factory NEW spec's. But yes you could do something cheap with a pressure washer that would give you 50 percent of the same results. Big Diesel rigs have this done commonly. It just something that has to be factored in. I don't understand why cleaning it has a bad feel to it.
Not sure about that setup, but this most certainly did not work like that. I got a demonstration and was shown how to work the controls, there were two robotic arms with compressed air nozzles that go back and forth as the machine spins the DPF. Before and after the cleaning they put it onto another machine that measures airflow through the unit. And of course there is a huge filtration setup that all the air passes through.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:02 AM
donovan
Laughing Gas
OK

On the cleaning sites read the write up's on the process. I have not found one yet that only uses compressed air. Compressed air by it self would not be that good of a cleaning.

The ones I saw are heat and air. I did find one that uses ultrasonic water tank then air, cant find that one now. Seemed like a good idea.

But saying all that, I would be temped to simple reverse flow the system with distilled water and then see. There are many YouTube videos on this.
This one has almost zero cost except labor and time.

I don't think a cleaned system is 100 percent as a new one but if you get 80 percent of new your still money ahead.

Old 07-22-2014, 12:01 PM
lwk362393
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyKazoo
Ive got a 2011 F350 SRW. With 58,058 miles the check engine light comes on, and the truck will not finish a regen. I brought it to a local Ford dealer, and they find "no problems" the manager tells me to "drive it, its probably one of the sensors, but we aren't gonna just throw parts at it". The problem persists so I bring it to another dealer. They find that the CEL was caused by the soot filter / DPF being plugged, causing it to not be able to finish a regen. It now has 63000 miles on it.

Apparently now it is out of warranty after 60,000 miles, and I am responsible for the bill, even though it was in the shop for the problem under the warranty period.
Did you ever get a "Drive to clean DPF" message on your dash?

Old 07-22-2014, 05:44 PM
gmhorse
Senior User
Originally Posted by MikeyKazoo
Ive got a 2011 F350 SRW. With 58,058 miles the check engine light comes on, and the truck will not finish a regen. I brought it to a local Ford dealer, and they find "no problems" the manager tells me to "drive it, its probably one of the sensors, but we aren't gonna just throw parts at it". The problem persists so I bring it to another dealer. They find that the CEL was caused by the soot filter / DPF being plugged, causing it to not be able to finish a regen. It now has 63000 miles on it.

Apparently now it is out of warranty after 60,000 miles, and I am responsible for the bill, even though it was in the shop for the problem under the warranty period.
I feel your pain Mikey. I had a wiper blade issues recently under warranty and took it in under 36k miles. They said we can't find any problem. I had video of the problem as well. They still said can't find a problem. A month later ( and out of warranty a different dealer found the problem and fixed the faulty part (faulty wiper switch in cab). Of course it wasn't covered under warranty even though I had paper proof of the visit to the dealer for the same issue. Ford rep here said let me help. Called back and said nothing I can do. And yes I did purchase the vehicle new.

I contacted Ford customer service and was told too bad we didn't diagnose the problem until after your warranty so pay up. I did keep her on the phone for an hour though saying I was not happy with the outcome and I wanted a resolution. She finally hung up on me. I think we should all call customer service and tie up the line at $12.00 per hour until it equals out to the repair bill. Atleast Ford would have to pay for the customer reps time.

Good luck but i don't think you will get anywhere with Ford. They simply do not care about honoring their warranty or offering customer service and it shows.

Old 08-16-2014, 09:13 AM
MikeyKazoo
New User
Turns out I brought the truck to a small independent shop, and after a few hours, he changed the EGT12 sensor, (1 of 4 that are plugged into the DPF unit) and Voila.....truck went into a regen. I hesitantly towed my camper to Maine and back, and logged 1800 miles without anymore CEL....(knock on wood)

Quick Reply: Ford Warranty Issue