Sponsored by: Moser

1977 F350 Super Cab Camper Special

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 01:29 PM
zbadboy
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1977 F350 Super Cab Camper Special

Have not been on here for years but still have the Beast. I am the second owner of this truck. The previous owner special ordered the truck from his brother who worked at the Ford motor plant.

I have read posts on here over the years regarding Camper Specials and Super Cab Camper Specials. My truck is a super cab and camper special ordered from the factory. Here are the codes from the plate on the truck.

Manufactured: 4/77 (Side Note he picked up the vehicle from the dealer 4/22/1977...April 22nd is my birthday) I have all the original factory paperwork.

GVWR: 9250

GAWR: Front: 3700 Rear: 6340

VIN: X35JKY42356

WB:155

Trans: G

Axle: D7J

Color: XP

Type GVW: X359

Body: LUM

Can someone help dissect these codes and tell me what I got. Trying to post a pic but not sure if I have enough posts. Also it has Galvenized front fender wells which I am unsure if they were prototype for ford at the time and his brother had them installed at the factory. He told me they were installed at the factory. My truck also has the tool box and not the spare tire holder. The tire holder is underneath in the back. It has the dual battery setup as well.

One last thing, estimate of the value of the truck in 9/10 condition?

Thanks Everyone.

Old 07-15-2014, 02:20 PM
zbadboy
Cross-Country
Spent sometime sorting through the different VIN Decoders and still left with some questions.

My color code is XP which equals Tan (X) and Dark Nectarine Metallic (P).

The P code must be the brown in my two tone paint????

The Body Code is LUM....I can't find anything that decodes that.

The axle code is D7J. D7 equals 73-75 4.10 Dana limited slip......this is a 77 F350 unsure why I would have 73-75 gears.

I am wondering if I have a Factory Ford Frankenstine F350

Old 07-15-2014, 03:07 PM
zbadboy
Cross-Country

Hopefully this picture will wodk.

Old 07-15-2014, 03:56 PM
VocaTexas
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Welcome (back) to FTE. That's a very nice Supercab. I'm not expert at decoding VIN numbers; there are several here who are. One of them should be along before long to decode it.

The pickups with the spare tire in the side of the bed were regular cab F-350 Super Camper Special, though Ford dropped the 'Super' in '77 or '78. No Supercabs were equipped with that rather strange option. Camper Specials, whether regular cab or Supercab usually had some combination of heavy-duty equipment such as auxiliary transmission cooler, super-cooling radiator, heavier brakes and suspension, larger alternator and dual batteries.

The galvanized inner-fenders were standard equipment for Dentsides. I believe Ford called it 'galvanneal' or something like that. They did not come from the factory painted.

Old 07-15-2014, 04:12 PM
zbadboy
Cross-Country
Thanks for the help in understanding the Super Cab, Camper Special, Super Camper Special terms. Trucks with the name Super Camper Special, was that in the badging on the front fenders?

I have all of these "auxiliary transmission cooler, super-cooling radiator, heavier brakes and suspension, larger alternator and dual batteries." installed on my truck.

Thanks for the info on the inner fenders. Your right, mine aren't painted either. Do you know if this was an option or standard equipment?

I am putting the Beast up for sale. I have owned her for 15 years now and we recently sold my fiances' truck with plans on buying a newer 4x4 truck. In the process of determining what I have and approximate value. Once again Thanks!

Last edited by zbadboy; 07-15-2014 at 04:13 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 07-15-2014, 05:05 PM
rougeriver
Fleet Mechanic
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by zbadboy
Spent sometime sorting through the different VIN Decoders and still left with some questions.

My color code is XP which equals Tan (X) and Dark Nectarine Metallic (P).

The P code must be the brown in my two tone paint????

The Body Code is LUM....I can't find anything that decodes that.

The axle code is D7J. D7 equals 73-75 4.10 Dana limited slip......this is a 77 F350 unsure why I would have 73-75 gears.

I am wondering if I have a Factory Ford Frankenstine F350
Hey zbadboy! Awesome truck you have! Our F-350 SuperCab Camper Special club is growing!

I decoded your truck...

The paint code XP is Indio Tan with Cinnamon Glow as the darker color. Cinnamon Glow is an extra cost "Glamour" paint.

Your body code LUM refers to your interior trim:
L- Super Soft Vinyl
U- Tan
M- SuperCab

Your axle is correct for 1977, a Dana 70 4.10 Limited Slip.

What is your truck's DSO?

David

Old 07-15-2014, 05:12 PM
zbadboy
Cross-Country
DSO?? I think that means Distric code which is 71....Los Angeles Thanks for the decode.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:19 PM
rougeriver
Fleet Mechanic
I see that you are going to be selling your awesome truck. Oh well, time for someone else to have fun with it!

I just bought it's twin in April. Cinnamon Glow with Wimbledon White. Equipped pretty much like yours except axle is 3.73 non-LS.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...list-find.html

GooseStick just bought one yesterday!
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...r-special.html

I'm not sure we can be of any help in judging the going value of these trucks, because we both stole them!

David

Old 07-15-2014, 05:24 PM
zbadboy
Cross-Country
Those holes on your fender are from the mounts for a over head camper. Give me a second and I will go take a picture of mine.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:34 PM
rougeriver
Fleet Mechanic
Oh, and Dark Nectarine Metallic and Cinnamon Glow Glamour is the same paint, but the CGG is what Ford called it for our trucks.

I want to see so many other pictures of your beautiful truck. Our trucks are so similar, even built for the same district. Same tan interior. Does yours have cruise?

David

Old 07-15-2014, 05:36 PM
zbadboy
Cross-Country

Here is a picture of the one on mine......just realized it was solved in your thread.....Nice looking truck.

Old 07-15-2014, 05:36 PM
rougeriver
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by zbadboy
Those holes on your fender are from the mounts for a over head camper. Give me a second and I will go take a picture of mine.

Yeah, that was a head scratcher for me, but the guys here figured it out for me.

David

Old 07-15-2014, 05:40 PM
zbadboy
Cross-Country

Here is a pic of my dash. Everything works on the truck....Cruise....A/C etc....

Old 07-15-2014, 06:03 PM
rougeriver
Fleet Mechanic
I'd kill for your steering wheel! (figure of speech, you don't have to sleep with one eye open!)

Looks like you have carpeted kick panels. Do you have color-keyed seat belts, or black?

David

Old 07-15-2014, 06:17 PM
zbadboy
Cross-Country
Black Seat Belts and Jump Seats in the back. Wish I had that bench like rougeriver. Here are some more pics

Passenger side.....dirty from the recent rains.

The original owner ordered it from the factory without a tailgate. Might well be the oldest truck without ever having a tailgate hanging on it.

Drivers side

Drivers Front

Front

Quick Reply: 1977 F350 Super Cab Camper Special