1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Bleepin' Insurance and Warm No Start

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 09:43 PM
bmoran4
Cargo Master
Received 583 Likes on 424 Posts
Bleepin' Insurance and Warm No Start

I took my F6 out yesterday for a quick run through before taking her to a big show this weekend. Started easy and loved the 20 or so minute trip around the area. I get her home, park her in my drive way and get out only to realize I was unhappy with my parking job. I get back in and try to start her - she won't start at all. Thought I flooded her, so I let her sit. Same thing - cranks but no hint of wanting to go. The coil is a few years old, so I replaced it with a new one that I could pickup in a pinch. I also replaced the starter for good measure and checked the fuel pump by disconnecting the line at the carb and verifying flow. The battery seems okay.

After all this gremalin chasing, she fired right up for me today and so I took her out to a cruise in night and had a wonderful time and some wonderful food. I deemed her ready for the big show this weekend and so I decided to swing by the gas station to fill her up (seems like she's constantly thirsty!!!). I fill her up and she plays the "I won't start" game again... I double check all my work and nothing jumped out.

Stranded, I call my specialty classic car insurance carrier who I love and have had for years. They have a specialty roadside assistance program that I have used before and knew the drill of calling in with the policy information, vehicle location etc... Unfortunately, this is where things get worse... After a hastle of not being able to find my policy and my roadside coverage and getting a supervisor involved to push this request through despite that, I am finally informed that as of April of this year, my large trucks are considered Medium/Heavy Duty tows and are no longer covered by the roadside assistance program. I'm looking at $300 for a 10 mile tow!!!! (Time to get a classic F-Series tow truck and make some mulah!!)

Well, all the above took a series of phone calls over 2 freakin' hours. Hearing that I would have to foot the bill, I asked if I could just try to start the truck once more before committing. Wouldn't ya know, she started for me!!!

TLDR: Why does my stock 8RT 239 V8 not want to start when warm? What towing coverage should I use for my large trucks now?

Old 07-11-2014, 09:55 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by bmoran4
I took my F6 out yesterday for a quick run through before taking her to a big show this weekend. Started easy and loved the 20 or so minute trip around the area. I get her home, park her in my drive way and get out only to realize I was unhappy with my parking job. I get back in and try to start her - she won't start at all. Thought I flooded her, so I let her sit. Same thing - cranks but no hint of wanting to go. The coil is a few years old, so I replaced it with a new one that I could pickup in a pinch. I also replaced the starter for good measure and checked the fuel pump by disconnecting the line at the carb and verifying flow. The battery seems okay.

After all this gremalin chasing, she fired right up for me today and so I took her out to a cruise in night and had a wonderful time and some wonderful food. I deemed her ready for the big show this weekend and so I decided to swing by the gas station to fill her up (seems like she's constantly thirsty!!!). I fill her up and she plays the "I won't start" game again... I double check all my work and nothing jumped out.

Stranded, I call my specialty classic car insurance carrier who I love and have had for years. They have a specialty roadside assistance program that I have used before and knew the drill of calling in with the policy information, vehicle location etc... Unfortunately, this is where things get worse... After a hastle of not being able to find my policy and my roadside coverage and getting a supervisor involved to push this request through despite that, I am finally informed that as of April of this year, my large trucks are considered Medium/Heavy Duty tows and are no longer covered by the roadside assistance program. I'm looking at $300 for a 10 mile tow!!!! (Time to get a classic F-Series tow truck and make some mulah!!)

Well, all the above took a series of phone calls over 2 freakin' hours. Hearing that I would have to foot the bill, I asked if I could just try to start the truck once more before committing. Wouldn't ya know, she started for me!!!

TLDR: Why does my stock 8RT 239 V8 not want to start when warm? What towing coverage should I use for my large trucks now?

Please tell me you insurance is NOT Hagerty...

Old 07-11-2014, 09:58 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts
I only wish I could help! I have had two old trucks over the years with the same malady. It is extremely frustrating. One eventually got better over the years, and the other finally got an engine transplant. Let me ask this though.... Does it crank at normal speed but just not fire, or does the starter seem to labor heavily, like rings too tight? Many told me it was the coil, which is common, but I tried many with the same results. Mine were never common problems. My heart goes out to you, brother. We need to get to the bottom of this one!

Old 07-11-2014, 09:58 PM
bmoran4
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
Please tell me you insurance is NOT Hagerty...
I can neither confirm nor deny; I would suggest you call your carrier about your specific policy.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:08 PM
bmoran4
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
Does it crank at normal speed but just not fire, or does the starter seem to labor heavily, like rings too tight?
When cold, she starts pretty easy on the first or second go about. When warm, initially it seems to turn over pretty well, but after like 8 - 10 attempts, the battery begins to run down... This is a new behavior as of Thursday. Firday (the 4th), Sunday and Wednesday, she was her normal self.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:16 PM
GB SISSON
Lead Driver
Received 91 Likes on 47 Posts
That would rule out certain areas. Notice any steam? Could anti-freeze have made it's way into some cylinders? Is it six volt or twelve?

Old 07-11-2014, 10:32 PM
bmoran4
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by GB SISSON
That would rule out certain areas. Notice any steam? Could anti-freeze have made it's way into some cylinders? Is it six volt or twelve?
Not aware of any coolant issues. Temps are normal. Stock 6 Volt system with this style of battery: Exide Heavy-Duty Farm Battery, T4HP - Tractor Supply Co.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:37 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 616 Likes on 382 Posts
This behavior is well-documented by guys over on the Ford Barn. After stopping on a warm/hot day, the fuel pump heats up from residual engine heat. The gas in the pump and the line from the pump to the carb boils and pushes past the float valve in the carb. The carb also gets hot and boils off all the gas in the bowl. When you go to start it, the pump itself is vapor-locked. An electric pump is the best solution, either to prime the system with fresh gas, or to replace the mechanical pump.

For a quick test, keep a jug of water handy, and pour it slowly over the fuel pump. It will still take some cranking to refill the carb, but not long if the pump is good.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:39 PM
seaves46
Laughing Gas
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts
Next time it does it remove a plug lead and check for a spark .
If you have a good spark try some aerostart or similar starter spray and see if it will fire up .

Old 07-11-2014, 10:52 PM
bmoran4
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
After stopping on a warm/hot day, the fuel pump heats up from residual engine heat. The gas in the pump and the line from the pump to the carb boils and pushes past the float valve in the carb. The carb also gets hot and boils off all the gas in the bowl. When you go to start it, the pump itself is vapor-locked. An electric pump is the best solution, either to prime the system with fresh gas, or to replace the mechanical pump.
As stated, I disconnected the fuel line from the carb and verified flow during a no start episode.

I do have an Airtex E8011 electric pump on the shelf I could use, but rather stay as stock as possible.

Old 07-11-2014, 10:55 PM
bmoran4
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by seaves46
Next time it does it remove a plug lead and check for a spark .
If you have a good spark try some aerostart or similar starter spray and see if it will fire up .
Define good spark? It was good enough to run the engine minutes before.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:03 PM
seaves46
Laughing Gas
Received 83 Likes on 40 Posts
After an engine is shut down heat usually goes up a bit due to heat soak .
It can effect electrical components as in coils and ignition parts , it can also cause fuel to evaporate from your carb if it's warm enough .
If it has a reasonable spark try the aerostart , if it fires you could try a phenolic spacer under the carb to stop heat effecting the carb .

Old 07-11-2014, 11:04 PM
Drewski 2
Laughing Gas
Received 32 Likes on 13 Posts
If you're still running points and condenser ignition you might replace the condenser. I recall during a troubleshooting class in auto-diesel school that a condenser can fail when hot and work again after it cools.

Old 07-11-2014, 11:10 PM
bmoran4
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Drewski 2
If you're still running points and condenser ignition you might replace the condenser. I recall during a troubleshooting class in auto-diesel school that a condenser can fail when hot and work again after it cools.
Yup, I'm as old fashioned as can be. I may have one in stock. Never done points or a condensor before. I did pop the cap during this evenings non-start event. Everything looked new, likely from the engine rebuild 4 or 5 years ago.

Old 07-12-2014, 01:37 AM
rustyrelic
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The no start when hot could be because the starter is pulling too much load from the 6V system and there isn't enough left to fire the ignition properly.

Try this next time it won't start...connect one post from a spare 12V battery directly to the starter post (you don't need to remove the 6V cable) connect the other post of the 12V battery to a ground on the car. This will.engage the starter using 12V. Then the 6V is dedicated to only the ignition system. DO NOT PUSH ON THE 6V STARTER BUTTON WHILE THE 12V IS ENGAGED! The key has to be turned on.
If the engine fires right up, you know the starter is pulling too much load.

I believe there was a write up on the fordbarn on how to wire a 12v for starting purposes only while keeping your stock 6v system.

Quick Reply: Bleepin' Insurance and Warm No Start