6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Regen Frequency

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 08:10 PM
Lastwagen
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dakster
That would be me. City driving, barely over 40 mph and then stop and go traffic which is horrible for soot production. I think the truck knows it too - even on the highway right now I am only going 150 miles between regens...

Driving it 5200 miles or so to Alaska loaded up so I will see if the distance between regens increases.
Me too... Short trips in town and it never has a chance to finish a regen. Then each time it starts a new regen and dumps fuel at the start of the regen you're lowering your mpg's. Once it gets into this loop I do a manual regen with the CTS. That will burn it down to as low as .36 and I'm good for a few days or longer. The manual regen is no big deal. It bumps rpms to 2000 but only for 10 minutes or so and then slows to an idle. The key is "do not stop it at this time". Let it idle and you will see the soot level continue to drop. Just make sure the engine is at operating temps before you start a manual regen. I prefer this over driving to let a normal regen complete. 1) It is definitely more thorough, 2) You're not putting on extra miles and 3) You can be doing something else while it's humming like a wood chipper. The fan makes all the noise not the engine. Hell I run my diesel tractor all day at 2600 rpm to keep the PTO speed up for a rotary cutter or a chipper. It's not going to hurt the engine. Also, during the idle time I make sure I don't shut if off until EGT 1 is down to 400 and EGT 4 is below 800 which is also when the soot level is probably as low as it's going to get, the turbo has cooled and nothing is glowing red under the truck. Today when I got home from work the soot level is at 2.75 and it had just started a new regen. So in the morning I'll drive about 3 miles in town to the office and start a manual regen before I go inside. Once I hear the truck slow to idle I'll give it another 10 minutes and go check the CTS. All in all I don't have a problem with the exhaust filter system. I get enough diesel fumes when driving my tractor and honestly never had a desire to "roll coal", but then didn't have a diesel truck when I was 20 so I can't say what I would have done then.

Old 07-14-2014, 08:17 PM
Dakster
Lead Driver
Received 111 Likes on 37 Posts
Interesting lastwagen - I don't have a CTS or programmer so I can't start a manual regen. Seems silly for me to spend the $$ just to do a manual regen. If it becomes an issue (and it hasn't so far) I may do that.

And of course this assumes that I have made my mind up that I am definitely in the future getting another SuperDuty. I don't see the Urea and DPF going anywhere soon enough. I enjoy a clean running vehicle so no deletes planned for me either.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:24 PM
Dascro58
Mountain Pass
well wouldn't you know it. I saw my second "Exhaust Filter Cleaning" message today... right as I was putting it in park in our driveway. Is there anything special I should know or do the next time I start it up?

Dave

Old 07-16-2014, 03:32 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dascro58
well wouldn't you know it. I saw my second "Exhaust Filter Cleaning" message today... right as I was putting it in park in our driveway. Is there anything special I should know or do the next time I start it up?

Dave
If you have time drive it on the highway and let it finish the regen or you will just keep going into a regen in relative short order.I know its not always conveinant to finish a regen but I try to get it pretty close most times.Easier with the edge cts so I know where it is in the regen process.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:52 PM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
not much

Dave
I do monitor my with the edge insight. If my is in regen for a very short amount of time, I will put into park and let it idle until the temp is around 420 on the turbo.

If the regen is in full process I will running it out but going an extra highway exit or two.

The big thing I do when in regen at the wrong time is let it idle until the turbo cools down.

Don't make toi much of a regen. They happen all the time and most people miss it most of the time.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:00 PM
MPD56
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donovan
I do monitor my with the edge insight. If my is in regen for a very short amount of time, I will put into park and let it idle until the temp is around 420 on the turbo.

If the regen is in full process I will running it out but going an extra highway exit or two.

The big thing I do when in regen at the wrong time is let it idle until the turbo cools down.

Don't make toi much of a regen. They happen all the time and most people miss it most of the time.
X2
If you interupt a few Active Regens in a row, then the truck will display a "DRIVE TO....." message.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:52 PM
Dascro58
Mountain Pass
So what I'm hearing is that its really not a big deal as long as I don't have regens starting often as I'm shutting off the truck. Right?

This Saturday we're heading out on a pretty long camping trip, so that should give ample time to run through a complete regen. Until then...

Old 07-16-2014, 05:58 PM
kper05
Lead Driver

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts
Next time you drive, it will begin soon after the oil temp is above 150°F if the soot is still above 2.66.
It all depends on how far you have to drive next. If you have a 10 mile drive, then it'll probably be in the middle of the process.

If mine needs one right away in the morning, it'll typically start after about five miles of driving.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:52 AM
Dascro58
Mountain Pass
I drove about 20 miles this morning and the tranny temp was around 170 and engine oil temp around 206. No "exhaust filter cleaning" message so I suppose all's well.

Dave

Old 07-17-2014, 11:10 AM
donovan
Laughing Gas
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts
regen

The only way to really monitor is with something like Edge Insight.

I watch and record with a regen starts and stops. I let 90 percent of the regen finish. When I don't I watch the turbo temp drop. I let the turbo cool while at idle to about 420.

If you are running b20 You need to watch your oil level.

Old 07-17-2014, 11:37 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
MPD56 has done a lot of work on monitorable PIDs for the Torque Pro android mobile app.. gives us a lot of the same function as the Edge.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:30 PM
MPD56
Elder User
I drove about 20 miles this morning and the tranny temp was around 170 and engine oil temp around 206. No "exhaust filter cleaning" message so I suppose all's well.

Dave
I'm guessing all is well.

Dascro58:
Some of us monitor vitals of our trucks, it can be an addiction but the facts are that there are a lot of variables the PCM looks at to start an Active Regen. The most important part is that Ford has designed the truck’s PCM to monitor and keep the truck’s SCR system clean and healthy. If you were doing something that was hurting the truck, the PCM would throw a code and protect the truck. I monitor my truck for self interest, but if I do or not, I know that the truck will do what it has to and I don’t have to do anything.

The “exhaust filter cleaning” message is just a message that the truck has went into an Active Regen. The “Drive to clean” message is that the truck hasn’t completed the last few Active Regens because they were interrupted. This message is a warning to drive and complete an Active Regen. Depending on what you do, the truck’s PCM programming will do what it has to do, but the messages are really just early second warning that the DPF has to do an Active Regen.

That said and I’m not an expert. But in ford’s documents it states that if an Active Regen is interrupted, it looks at certain variables and decides when to perform an Active Regen. A few things are an Active Regen can be activated by soot load or mileage (a counter) since last completed Regen if over a certain Soot Load. I mention the counter because if an Active Regen was started by mileage and was interrupted and the Soot Load is not high, the PCM will subtract miles from the counter (I think its 150 miles).

I’m guessing but this is why you didn’t get a message this morning. The truck just doesn’t need to have an Active Regen. But we with monitors have a better guess why and when it will happen. The need to know and or not to know doesn’t change that the truck will tell you if you have problems and not to worry till it does.

My monitor can log and store vehicle parameters and even email the log to me, so I don’t have to really watch them in real time or be even in the vehicle driving. One reason my wife made me take the monitor out of her vehicle, she nicely said that I don’t have to show her that she drives over the speed limit because she can read speed signs and look at her own speedometer if she was like me and felt the need to watch gauges LOL.

Old 07-17-2014, 03:20 PM
Dascro58
Mountain Pass
MPD56,

Thanks for such a thorough and logical explanation. It is very helpful as I learn my way around my new 6.7 and first foray into diesel powered pick-ups.

I previously checked out the work you've done using Torque Pro to get more PID's. Impressive!! Unfortunately I do not use an android device.

I've looked into the Edge CS but I'm generally not keen on suction-cup windshield attachments long term (just a "thing" I have ).

I'm really enjoying my new truck and am finding more than ever how helpful this forum and the folks on it are. I'm eager to start towing with it and will get my chance soon on our two week-long adventure. I'm psyched to say the least!!

Dave

Old 07-17-2014, 03:49 PM
MPD56
Elder User
I can see the grin from here!!

Enjoy and have a safe trip, report on a new thread, we all like to hear good stories.

Old 08-15-2014, 05:11 PM
almightywad
New User
I've been enjoying keeping up with this thread since I got my truck. Very informative.

I usually average 50-100 miles in the city and 150-200 miles highway between regens. When towing, it takes care of itself. So, something happened today I haven't seen before. It was 75 miles exactly since my last regen as I had been city driving at or below 45 mph. I was going to pickup some meds in the pharmacy drive thru and right before that it started an active regen. I pulled into the drive thru and put it in park but did not shut off the truck and just let it idle. Took about 5 mins at the window. Within 10 secs of pulling away from the window I got another cleaning exhaust filter message. I've never seen it say that twice that close together without shutting the truck off first. Does an active regen stop when put in Park??

Quick Reply: Regen Frequency