1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Another basketcase F2 back on the road!! Project done, lots of pictures.

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 07:37 AM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 621 Likes on 331 Posts
Peter, yep the prior owner couldn't give it away for scrap because some of the tires were flat, it was filled with rubbish, and the wooden bed and box were too much trouble for any scrap hauler to separate.
It was a mess.

I would have passed on it too, but when I arrived in the city apartment building parking lot where it was, I couldn't turn the truck and trailer around quickly enough to get the hell out of there once I saw it. Too small an area for evasive maneuvers. The owner came running out and excitedly told me while I was still in my truck that he was glad someone was finally coming to haul it off. I hadn't seen it in advance.
But it was free and he was willing to help load it.
The next hard part was pulling into my yard with it, and the wife getting her first look. I didn't exactly talk this over with her first if you know what I mean...

Tom

Old 09-07-2015, 08:48 AM
rdemilt
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I just went thru this thread and your build for the first time this AM while enjoying a cup of coffee, Im sorry I missed the thread during the whole process. You did a great job and the picture of you and your niece on the test drive is priceless.

Old 09-07-2015, 11:37 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by pineconeford
Peter, yep the prior owner couldn't give it away for scrap because some of the tires were flat, it was filled with rubbish, and the wooden bed and box were too much trouble for any scrap hauler to separate.
It was a mess.

I would have passed on it too, but when I arrived in the city apartment building parking lot where it was, I couldn't turn the truck and trailer around quickly enough to get the hell out of there once I saw it. Too small an area for evasive maneuvers. The owner came running out and excitedly told me while I was still in my truck that he was glad someone was finally coming to haul it off. I hadn't seen it in advance.
But it was free and he was willing to help load it.
The next hard part was pulling into my yard with it, and the wife getting her first look. I didn't exactly talk this over with her first if you know what I mean...

Tom

Thanks for that... I chuckled along right through it and laughed out loud at the end...

Old 09-07-2015, 02:40 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,102 Likes on 819 Posts
Originally Posted by pineconeford

Tom

I've over the last 27+ that the old saying, "Easier to beg for forgiveness is easier than asking permission"
I show up with something it's too late, I already have it. When we first got married someone would tell me about a truck or I'd see one somewhere and would go home and talk to the wife. 100% of the time it was a battle no matter how low the price. finally after buying a couple of junkers for $100-300 and more than doubling my money she got a little easier to deal with. She still gets mad when I drag something home but she get mad on a regular basis over things that don't matter so I might as well have some enjoyment if I'm going to be in hot water.

Now I just have to find the people with old iron sitting in the back rotting away who don't think they have a gold mine, like fine wine, getting more valuable with age. The few vehicles I've gotten in the last few years I paid in the $500-600 but not before the sellers, when I asked the price, said they've seen examples on TV and the net sell for $5-20K. Got to love "reality" TV.