1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Hot air while driving

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2014, 02:48 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hot air while driving

See the blue arrow?

I have a question that may involve this area. While driving down the road in the summer down here in the heat, I get HOT air that actually seems warmer than if you have the heat on max heat in a modern car. I've got the thick padding under the rubber mat. The PO also put some type of black sealer over the whole floor. I have no rust and no open holes on the floor or firewall anywhere with the exception of where the pedals and column come thru. At these spots I took some Dynamat and surrounded the area leaving it touching the pedal shafts so that it could make a very small space just for travel. Over this I put the thick pad then the rubber mat. I also got under the hood and took some of the left over Dynamat and cut small 1"x1" squares and put one square over every single hole on the firewall no matter how small the hole was. Looks like a wreck but I was just trying to do something to see if I could stop this ridiculous heat flow coming in. I have not put Dynamat all in my truck. I did a friends Chevelle for him and had a couple pieces left over. There is no boot around my transmission hole (shifter) so I went up under the mat with some 1" thick foam and it is totally sealed. I know it is coming from somewhere under the dash because I can open up the cowl vent and it kinda buffers the hot air and blows it somewhere other than up into my face. I just can't figure out where on earth it can be from. Back to the blue arrow above. I noticed the other day when I had my kick panels out that I could see faint light coming from down in that area behind there. So I put my fingers under the area the blue arrow is pointing to and its just a big hole that seems to be made like that. It's the same on both sides. So I dropped a penny on the inside of the truck (behind kick panel after removing it) and it dropped right on the running board. There is no rust there or part of a hole or anything. Its smooth and just seems to be made like that. Should this be open like that???? I know hot air isn't supposed to be blowing in so hard it blows dust up in my eyes. Any suggestions? If you want to see interior pics click my Gallery link below...wont help really but just in case.
Thanks!!

Old 06-25-2014, 03:07 PM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
what about the hole in the steering column for the horn wire ?

Old 06-25-2014, 03:15 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
I have no horn....lol. You should see the firewall from the engine side. I have literally sealed up every hole or even a dimple that looked like a pinhole. Proly got at least 30 or more 1x1 dynamat squares on it. Just for reference we are talking about a significant amount of air. One hole even if it were 1/2" hole wouldn't create this much air which is why I'm wondering about the "blue arrow openings."

Old 06-25-2014, 03:53 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 73 Likes on 36 Posts
Did you or do you know if a PO replaced the front cab corners? there should be a late that seals that, which is why it rusts out there. If it was replaced, the sealing plate might not have been replaced so now there is large holes letting air in.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:41 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Originally Posted by Gicknordon
Did you or do you know if a PO replaced the front cab corners? there should be a late that seals that, which is why it rusts out there. If it was replaced, the sealing plate might not have been replaced so now there is large holes letting air in.
Nick! I'm gonna need a pic of the plate and maybe one of those nifty exploded views that people are always posting. I do know that the truck had been given some amount of restoration a long time ago and was taken apart in the process. I would not doubt at all something was left out but if I was I would love to put it back.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:04 PM
Gicknordon
Fleet Mechanic
Received 73 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Wayne Waldrep
Nick! I'm gonna need a pic of the plate and maybe one of those nifty exploded views that people are always posting. I do know that the truck had been given some amount of restoration a long time ago and was taken apart in the process. I would not doubt at all something was left out but if I was I would love to put it back.
Somebody might come in with an exploded view, but that plate is spot welded in there. When i did my corners, i left those out. If this is where your hot air is coming from, maybe ill have to go back and add those back in.

Old 06-25-2014, 05:20 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Somebody might come in with an exploded view, but that plate is spot welded in there. When i did my corners, i left those out. If this is where your hot air is coming from, maybe ill have to go back and add those back in.
Agree. There should be a square of sheetmetal spot welded into that hole. You could easily fab up a piece and stick it in with RTV or similar.

FWIW, my floor boards and firewall get pretty hot too from exhaust and engine heat. The stock firewall pad has very little insulation value....

Old 06-25-2014, 07:10 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 613 Likes on 380 Posts
Here are some pics. The original plate actually has a punched flap that lets water out (until it gets plugged with dirt). Usually rotten out. Pictures from Doc's '50.

FWIW, my driver's side column has the plate in near perfect shape, yet I get a lot of air down there. I think it's bypassing the door seals on mine, tho.

Attached Images   
Old 06-25-2014, 08:45 PM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Good pics. I'm on my phone but those appear to be rusted away or missing right? Guess my next step is to stuff a couple rags in there and see if that stops it. Then I can decide what to do. Thanks!

Old 06-25-2014, 11:10 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
My truck's PO's stuffed newspapers in there. The paper got wet and rusted the insides pretty badly. I would bend up a plate and stick it in there with RTV or something.

Old 06-26-2014, 09:56 AM
Wayne Waldrep
Elder User
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
My truck's PO's stuffed newspapers in there. The paper got wet and rusted the insides pretty badly. I would bend up a plate and stick it in there with RTV or something.
Oh I will fix it up right. I just will stick the rags in and make a quick run down the road and see if that stops it.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:40 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
What sealing plate? Mine are open and like Wayne I have not been able to find a part listed that goes in there. I was going to weld it shut but it would provide a good drain for any leak in the windshield or cowl area.

Old 06-28-2014, 10:47 AM
petemcl
Still Learnin'
Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Wayne, I assume that your truck is heater less and you have all the holes plugged or you have the tube from the RF front taped shut?

Old 06-28-2014, 12:19 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 255 Likes on 159 Posts
I can not get a decent picture of the truck assembled but my '49 has a full horizontal plate welded in about an inch above the lower end of the door mount pillar. The plate has a punch out with a small slot for moisture and dirt to escape. The square area that is visible is the moisture slot. I remember cleaning the area when I had the cab off, paying close attention to removing all dirt that would collect moisture and promote rust. This cab has never had any rust repair or modifications to this area.

Attached Images    
Old 06-28-2014, 12:31 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Here ya go. My driver's side plate. Note it is actually over the running board, I am not sure air would flow "in" from there, especially with a kick panel in place.

Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Hot air while driving