1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Named operator insurance policy? Anyome remember?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 07:01 PM
packrat56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Named operator insurance policy? Anyome remember?

Ok I admit.. I collect vehicles..

Not pricy stuff, Im just a wage earner, but the collection keeps growing..

Years ago, 197o's ? I had what they called a "named operator policy" Covered me on all the vehicles I was driving, not a seperate premium for each..

Hell, I can only drive one of them at a time!

Anyone here know if that exists anymore? What company?

What do you "multi-vehicle" folks do? Its gettin too expensive!!

Old 06-22-2014, 07:11 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by packrat56
Ok I admit.. I collect vehicles..

Not pricy stuff, Im just a wage earner, but the collection keeps growing..

Years ago, 197o's ? I had what they called a "named operator policy" Covered me on all the vehicles I was driving, not a seperate premium for each..

Hell, I can only drive one of them at a time!

Anyone here know if that exists anymore? What company?

What do you "multi-vehicle" folks do? Its gettin too expensive!!
The types of policies I don't believe have actually changed. My policy has always covered me in whatever vehicle I operate, prime example is rental car use. My liability covers me in a rental for any claims in excess of the Rental company's policy and/or if I am a named defendant. My collision and comp caries over the same way. The problem is that most states require each vehicle to carry a separate policy as a condition of registration. The exception would be fleet type policies. Bottom line, you're stuck.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:12 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,641 Likes on 1,339 Posts
Still around if you don't own a vehicle according to this:

What is a named-operator policy? | CarInsurance.com

I don't have a car. Why would I need car insurance? > Lyman & Sheets Insurance Agency

So let's say all your money is in real estate and investments. Knowing you can have a car service at your door in seconds, and knowing what a poor investment a car is, you don't have one.

But, your high school buddy lives in a box under a bridge after having spent everything he ever earned on a hot car or jacked up truck.

He lets you drive, but you know he only has the minimum 15/30,000 liability, as he owns nothing. You get the above type of policy to cover yourself if you crash his car.

Makes sense.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:15 PM
packrat56
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
well crap.. I did see that online about the "if you dont own a car" thing.. Makes sense..

So, its the state regulations... Sounds about right..

Any company give good break understanding that we only drive one of them at a time?

Old 06-22-2014, 07:17 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Originally Posted by 85e150six4mtod
Still around if you don't own a vehicle according to this:

What is a named-operator policy? | CarInsurance.com

I don't have a car. Why would I need car insurance? > Lyman & Sheets Insurance Agency

So let's say all your money is in real estate and investments. Knowing you can have a car service at your door in seconds, and knowing what a poor investment a car is, you don't have one.

But, your high school buddy lives in a box under a bridge after having spent everything he ever earned on a hot car or jacked up truck.

He lets you drive, but you know he only has the minimum 15/30,000 liability, as he owns nothing. You get the above type of policy to cover yourself if you crash his car.

Makes sense.
Bottom line, this type policy does NOT cover you in any vehicle that you own.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:19 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
well crap.. I did see that online about the "if you dont own a car" thing.. Makes sense..

Any company give good break understanding that we only drive one of them at a time?
Maybe Ilya (51PanelMan) will chime in here when he gets through counting his latest haul of parts. He's in the insurance business.

Old 06-22-2014, 07:21 PM
harleymsn
FTE Chapter Leader

Usually any vehicle (so long as it is mostly stock) can be registered as an antique or classic, several companies offer special policies with restriction on the mileage driven.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:56 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
When I hear of people trying to cut costs on their insurance, it's usually not good. You can never have too much insurance. Insurance companies don't give any breaks. My suggestion is to purchase the correct coverage and as much coverage as you can afford.

I have my daily drivers insured with the standard insurance company and the collector cars with a specialty insurance carrier. I suggest doing the same because standard carriers don't generally know how to effectively handle a classic vehicle claim or how to properly charge the rate for classic vehicle coverage.