1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fake overheating 2000 V10

Old 06-20-2014, 12:44 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EXv10
It IS overheating even though it might not seem like it. Get a new 190* MOTORCRAFT thermostat and a new cap and your problems should be over.
(You need to put your location in the upper right corner.)....................welcome to F.T.E.
Well your're wrong too. ............ Read those first 4 posts, they are out in left field. ................

I never said it was the thermostat, I only said I doubt if it is the CHT.
If anyone is in left field, I think I know who it is.....

Old 06-20-2014, 03:00 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
If anyone is in left field, I think I know who it is.....
I said a cap and thermo should cure it. I really don't think RUNVS had a bad sensor, I have never heard of one going bad and he made other corrections around the same time.
You're the one that said the sensor was on top.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:55 PM
RUNVS
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I thought I made it clear that I replaced the CHT and it fixed the problem. I can see that I had one sentence chronologically (that means in order of time) backward so maybe it was a little hard to follow...

Let me type slower so you can understand.

1) I replaced the THERMOSTAT. With the MOTORCRAFT unit. It didn't help at all.

2) I replaced the radiator b/c I suspected poor coolant flow. Since I don't do it half-assed I also replaced the water pump, hoses and the fan clutch. That STILL DIDN'T WORK!! And I did replace the cap with the new radiator - I did leave out that detail.

3) I THEN replaced the CHT. Holy crap - PROBLEM SOLVED!!! 100% a bad CHT. I supposed if you have never seen one - it must not happen. If it is electrical or mechanical, simply put - it CAN fail.

4) More years of dependable service followed...

There was ZERO COOLANT LOSS. No vehicle overheats without loosing coolant. If it can't find a way out - it will make one. The level in the degas bottle never moved and this issue went on for 2-3 months. Until I finally performed step 3!

So, I can honestly say that in your assessment of what the proper corrective action was in MY case - you are wrong.......sorry!

Well your're wrong too. As I said; I could pull over and restart it with all back to normal but it wasn't the sensor. I have a feeling you replaced the sensor and other things also at the same time which makes it hard to pin it down. Sometimes I could go for days with all good and other times I could only go a mile in 30* weather and the thermo wasn't stuck. Read those first 4 posts, they are out in left field. Did you change the cap?
Also; I said it was the cap and thermo either/or. I don't think your cht was bad. The cht detects faults in the system but not general heating problems which is why you can pull a big trailer up a mountain in 100* heat.

I never said it was the thermostat, I only said I doubt if it is the CHT.

Old 06-20-2014, 04:57 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
That's just great. RUNVS had a bad sensor, and Brent had a bad thermostat. Got it.

Enough of the back-and-forth, it's not helping anyone.

Old 06-20-2014, 05:02 PM
RUNVS
FTE Chapter Leader
And back to the OP - who no one can now seem to find - lol!! The CHT is inexpensive and an easy repair. It's one of those things like a cap or a t-stat where the cost is worth trying it. Certainly cheaper than a radiator, water pump, etc, not to mention the coolant you need to replace when done.

I'm not saying it is the CHT in all cases either, I just know it was the issue in my case. As you can see, I replaced every external part in the cooling system - and still had the issue. It wasn't until I replaced the CHT that the issue was fixed. Let me be clear that was the LAST thing I did. I heard the intake manifold needed to be removed. I was avoiding that at nearly any cost. Once I got to that inevitable step, I then read on FTE about removing the alternator and "customizing" a wrench to fit in the valley to get the sensor!

Good luck!

Old 06-20-2014, 05:52 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tom
That's just great. RUNVS had a bad sensor, and Brent had a bad thermostat. Got it.

Enough of the back-and-forth, it's not helping anyone.
I think it does help, it can be really frustrating to have it limp constantly and anyone reading this can benefit from all the info they get. Of course a sensor can go bad but my problem was more than a bad thermostat and he didn't cure his problem by just changing the sensor only. I wish that was the only thing he did so it would be positive that that was actually the problem.
Trust me; when you are plagued with the limping problem you will need all the help you can get. In fact just the removal of the alternator and the bending of the wrench was revealed here and new to me.............it's all good.
One more thing; the restarting of the engine and lack of heat is PART of the limping ritual not an indication of a bad sensor. The sensor only detects a malfunction in the cooling system.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:36 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
My point was that you both made valid points. Continuing to bludgeon each other over them isn't helpful, that's all.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:47 PM
RUNVS
FTE Chapter Leader
Bludgeoning, LOL!! haha, just some friendly banter, Tom! I only take offense to being told I'm wrong, not offended by another opinion or solution! It's all good.

Originally Posted by Tom
My point was that you both made valid points. Continuing to bludgeon each other over them isn't helpful, that's all.

Old 06-20-2014, 06:54 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Tom
No, he could have had a bad sensor but I don't know the chain of events he went through so I still have my doubts. If you ever had this mysterious, frustrating problem you would welcome all the info you can get and facts are still unfolding so no need to cut it short. When it happened to me nobody could help me and they only had the standard ideas; head gasket, new sensor, thermostat, etc. but I was plagued with it for 3 weeks until I gleaned enough info to figure out what was happening on my own. This thread should be extremely helpful to anyone with the dreaded problem.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:02 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
I'm going to get a beer and some popcorn, then come back here and watch Brent talk to himself while he continues to bludgeon the dead horse until the horse tells him he's right!

Old 06-20-2014, 07:43 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by RUNVS
Bludgeoning, LOL!! haha, just some friendly banter, Tom! I only take offense to being told I'm wrong, not offended by another opinion or solution! It's all good.
I only said you were wrong about restarting and proceeding like nothing happened. That's part of the limping ritual (did it 5+- times) and then it goes into 50 mph max, low power, alternating cylinders, running on 5 cylinders. etc. You learned from me and I learned from you.

Old 06-20-2014, 07:46 PM
EXv10
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Big-Foot
I'm going to get a beer and some popcorn, then come back here and watch Brent talk to himself while he continues to bludgeon the dead horse until the horse tells him he's right!
Of course he could have had a bad sensor, anything can go bad. Changing the sensor was my next step but the dealer is 55 miles away and I wasn't looking forward to digging under the intake.

Old 06-21-2014, 06:13 PM
jesse5
Senior User

Old 07-05-2014, 05:31 PM
Berriemaas
5th Wheeling
Hey guys, it's a been a few days.... Life is busy and this truck is only a secondary vehicle.

So I replaced the ECT. Easy to get to, took longer to get the tools out than to replace it. It did not work. In fact, this ECT leaves the gauge at ice cold even when the car is up to temperature. With the engine at temperature, it measured 2.52 k resistance. I did check the old sensor, which (at 85F) measured 3.6 k. As I was holding the old sensor in my hand warming it, the resistance started to drop.
Seems the new sensor is not the correct one.

Anyhow, with the gauge at ice cold, getting speed up over 55mph, suddenly the gauge pegged again and the coolant light came on. Service Engine Soon light was still on.
With all this "overheating" the truck hasn't lost any coolant, so I will go for the thermostat next as it is easier to get to than the CHT. After that, the CHT will be next.

As I mentioned, this is a secondary vehicle, and it is bloody hot in south GA, so it may be a week or two before I can provide an update.

Thank you all for your input!

Old 07-05-2014, 06:37 PM
Big-Foot
Post Fiend
Good to hear back from you.. Not so sure what's up with the coolant temp sensor being the wrong values. I've read that you can take a cheap 3/4" wrench and put a bend in it to get the CHT sensor out without having to remove the intake.

Good luck!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fake overheating 2000 V10