6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

NTB Beware !

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 11:53 AM
pugster
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation NTB Beware !

I normally change my own oil, rotating tires I usually take to NTB, where I have a 5-year alignment warranty & rotations are free. As NTB likes to do, they were pushing an oil change special on me and I relented at the time, allowing them to change my oil.

Fast-forward to present moment, truck is in my driveway, drained oil in the drain pan, and a filter that will not work. Why? NTB stocks a NAPA oil filter that includes the cap - which will not accomdate the standard filter. They disposed of my old cap. Did I find out any of this at the time? Unfortunately, no.

Beware of NTB. I guess they mean well, they offered to get me a new cap in a few days, or provide me a free NAPA filter today like the one they put in.

I don't recommend NTB and will have to phase them out for another competitor in the future. I am fortunate that my wife is across town and can stop at the Ford dealer, who has the cap and is open until 4 today, on her way home from the beauty shop this Saturday morning. $36.00 out of my pocket. What a Cluster !!!!

Old 06-14-2014, 01:23 PM
rock_doctor
Senior User
That is the way it is. I took my suburban to them for a ball joint and alignment. They did the ball joint but because they got the wrong one (i.e. they had to wait for the second to be delivered) the "mechanic" felt he had put too much time into it and didn't do the alignment. He said he did but i was watching him and he didn't. Another mechanic (no "" because he was a good guy) went back and did it for free on his own time... I did pay him cash on the slide for his time. I agree with you. Lesson learned. I always pay attention to where the waiting room is in relation to the shop. The further away, the more likely they will be creative when working on your car. Good for you to go back and check. You may consider getting a fumoto valve. They are expensive but i love mine. I just drain the oil from the engine right into empty 5qt ford diesel oil jugs. Can change the oil in 20min w/o a single drop hitting the ground.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:44 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Huh...never heard of that before but I can see it happening with some of the aftermarket filters and their replacement caps. I'm very particular who I let touch my vehicles for that reason, especially something as expen$ive to fix as a diesel engine.

My dealer screwed up the first oil change on my '08 when they messed up the O-ring that seals the cap to the housing. Got home and found oil all over the truck and driveway. An hour later it was on a wrecker and on its way back to the dealer.

Old 06-14-2014, 06:55 PM
pugster
Senior User
Originally Posted by rock_doctor
You may consider getting a fumoto valve. They are expensive but i love mine. I just drain the oil from the engine right into empty 5qt ford diesel oil jugs. Can change the oil in 20min w/o a single drop hitting the ground.
What do you do about the filter? Does this thing screw into the oil pan? Any idea on cost & where to buy would be welcome - thanks!

Old 06-14-2014, 07:18 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Hence why when you take your truck for tires...you only let them touch the tires.....NOBODY touches my rig but me, ever....

Old 06-14-2014, 08:11 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
tough lesson. Those filters will starve that motor of oil if you're not careful.

Old 06-15-2014, 08:13 AM
99expyTN
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by pugster
What do you do about the filter? Does this thing screw into the oil pan? Any idea on cost & where to buy would be welcome - thanks!
Here is a picture of a the valve installed. I bought it off Amazon for $24.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:23 PM
rock_doctor
Senior User
Originally Posted by pugster
Yep in place of the drain plug. Because you can turn the oil flow on and off you can put the oil directly into your recycling jugs.

The first thing i do is open the oil filter cap to let it drain. Then climb under and drain the oil pan. Back on top, new filter and O-ring. The other added benefit...we are at Disney World now and it needs an oil change (the truck not Disney). Because i can do it quickly w/o losing a drop i can do it right in the parking lot. Security always swings by and checks but there is never anything left behind. They have never said a single word.

Much better then my old 7.3... Dropped the oil filter once and by the time i could wiggle my 365lb frame out from under the truck the filter was already half way down the street... For years there was a black line down the street leading directly to my garage door.

I also got both of mine from amazon. I have one on both of my trucks.