1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended Cab vs Super Crew

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2003, 11:15 AM
Scraper
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking to buy a bigger truck. We had twins last year and I just can't get the family in my regular cab F-150. I am trying to decide if I need to be looking for a truck with 4 full size doors, or just an extended cab. I will probably buy a used truck (5ish years old maybe). I would like to get at least an F-250. Does anyone have any experience with car seats and kids in the cab? Is there a big difference in the rear seat room between the two cabs? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-07-2003, 11:38 AM
ArkansasFordMan
Senior User

I used to have an '00 F250 extended cab until I traded it in for my '03 crew cab. I will never go back to an extended cab. I dated a lady that had a 7 month old baby and the only place for the car seat was right behind the center console. To put the baby seat behind the seat would have meant touching the dash with your knees. In my crew cab I can have my seat all the way back and an adult in the back still has plenty of room. Besides, when you get four grown men in the truck at 4:00 am on the way to the deer woods it is very uncomfortable. In my opinion if you can afford an older crew cab get it by all means, you will not be sorry, trust me.

Old 07-07-2003, 12:03 PM
Nexter74
New User

Have a F250 crew cab. Apparently the ford crew cab for 03' is the largest truck interior available, even surpassing the hummer. Our little girl loves the back seat, she can see so much. Our little girl is 17 months old and we just turned her seat forward facing. We are having another one very soon. If it is available, I would strongly recommend the crew cab. Also the back seat windows come all the way down. Our family had to make many major changes since our first child was born, and thinking that it will never end. Hate to suggest this, but the Ford minivan, Aerostar I think, has a lot of rebates and this maybe another option. You might be able to get into a new minivan for the same price of used F250. But then on the other hand, all of the big toys for your children fit in the bed of truck very well, matresses, box springs, and other children furniture. Congratulations on the twins. I am sure it is tough, but in another year or two, the twins can probally play togehter and this will be easier on the family. We are in the process of meeting people to get our little one more playmates, other than the neighbors.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-07-2003, 12:22 PM
GR8Diesel
Senior User

I have a related question - I would like to get the crew cab, the money is not the issue the length of the vehicle is...
I fear that adding a crew cab onto a standard length bed would produce a truck that is about as much fun to drive (and park) as a school bus!

Anybody have first hand experience regarding parking one of these beasts in a garage or parking ramp?

Thanks,
Bill

Old 07-07-2003, 12:38 PM
taxgod4u
Senior User

The CC and short bed is long, but you will get used to it as we did. Now the cc and the long bed... wow!

Old 07-07-2003, 01:19 PM
Menudo
Junior User

GRiesel, you'll find parking and learn to spot your "space" in no time.
Know your height! Multiple-storied parking structures are a bit low and make sure your valet parker isn't going into a low overhead structure!
Owch!
Hey, I can't get rid of the smile on the word diesel...!

Old 07-07-2003, 02:29 PM
GR8Diesel
Senior User

Menudo, Working in an 'old city' (Minneapolis/St.Paul) most parking structures are already too low and are built into the basements of old buildings. In other words the parking facilities are reto-fitted instead of designed. I have enough trouble finding a space for my Expedition - which is the same height as a 4x SD, but not terribly long. It is the same reason that I am not purchasing DRW as most parking spaces are not 8' accross.

Thanks,
Bill

Old 07-08-2003, 10:19 PM
RRMike
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try parking it when you don't even have full steering travel due to wide tires!

Old 07-08-2003, 10:35 PM
MrFeexit
Senior User

Originally posted by GRiesel
Menudo, Working in an 'old city' (Minneapolis/St.Paul) most parking structures are already too low and are built into the basements of old buildings. In other words the parking facilities are reto-fitted instead of designed. I have enough trouble finding a space for my Expedition - which is the same height as a 4x SD, but not terribly long. It is the same reason that I am not purchasing DRW as most parking spaces are not 8' accross.

Thanks,
Bill

HEHEHEHEH funny you should bring parking in Minneapolis up... I was there a week or so ago and pulled into a lot only to see the 6'9" sign AFTER I was past the gate. (just off 4th ave by down town) anyway I parked and when it was time to leave the guy was pretty cool and opened up a side gate for me to pull out of. I had to park at an angle in the corner and even then I stuck out pretty far nad had to leave some Im sorry notes for boxing some cars in a bit.

Old 07-08-2003, 11:35 PM
bighogman
Junior User

If you see Surburbans around, you should have no problem with a short box. You might have to park at the end of the parking lot to get a space but the excercise may help. I built a small TV stand for the center floor for the back seat. I got a 9" TV VCR 12 volt combo for $135.00. The kids love it. We had an F150 extended cab and my 5' tall wife had to sit in the back because my 5'5" daughter was uncomfortable in the back.

Old 07-09-2003, 12:46 AM
RdBaron03
Senior User

i would go with a crew cab personally, my roommate has an 03 f-350 crew cab and for the 2 of us its perfect! you would think that for the two of us it wouldd be overkill but its actually really nice.

Old 07-09-2003, 02:24 AM
SouthernDually
Elder User
Thumbs up Extended Cab vs Super Crew

With new twins I think that the only option is a crew cab. With me its just me and the wife so the extended is just fine. If I still had the son at home and traveling with us then the only way to go is the crew...Good luck. Parking is just somthing to get used to. Its really not that big a deal..a little prior planning goes a long ways...

Old 07-09-2003, 08:11 AM
redcrewcab
Freshman User

I purchased a '95 regular cab long bed F150 back in 98 and found room for just the wife, son and I wasn't enough when towing the boat around on our trips to Lake Havasu. I now have a '99 Crew Cab with Long Bed and love it even though it doesn't fit in the garage. I just use the carport-like cover they sell for $179...one for the boat and one for the truck. The '99 Chebby "Hoe gets to fit in the garage. I don't regret my decision on Crew-Cab ever; neither do my in-laws when we take them with us on trips. My opinion: Crew-cab 1, Supercab 0.

Old 07-09-2003, 09:01 AM
RedTaurus94
Posting Guru
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have 9 year old son, and I struggled with the decision of whether to get a extra or crew cab. I really wanted the extended cab because of the looks and I even got a friend with one to let my son "try his on" to make sure there was enough room. There was, and at the time, I thought the extended cab would be OK, but I wound up with the crew cab, long bed, dually truck because the deal was so good. Now, looking back, I am glad I got what I did. I can carry 6 adults, with all their stuff with no problem. We drove the truck to the airport on our vacation, with six people in the cab, and six people's worth of luggage in the back with no problem. The remote parking was tight, but with a little guidance from outside, I got inside the space OK. Most times, however, it is only me riding, as the truck serves as my daily driver. I will admit that parking is a bit of a pain, but it's not that bad. The dually will fit inside the standard-width parking places where I live. The length is the problem most times, as I have to be carefull not to get surrounded by other vehicles in lots where the aisles aren't wide enough to allow me to swing wide to exit my space. You just have to learn to pick your parking spots differently than you used to. With twins, I would definitely recommend the crew cab. Just imaginge what it will be like when they are 10 or 12 years old. Your properly-maintained truck should last that long and longer.........

Old 07-09-2003, 01:52 PM
C_Marshall
Freshman User
Talking Extended Cab vs Super Crew

Check out the FAQ thread at the top of this forum. Note that the wheelbase of a super cab 8 foot bed is 158". But the crew cab 6 foot bed is 156.2", almost 2" shorter!! Sooo the crew cab 6 foot bed is easier to park than a super cab 8 foot bed. That's one more reason mine's a CREW CAB.

Quick Reply: Extended Cab vs Super Crew