Balancing 42" Tires??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 07:07 AM
TheDipArmy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Balancing 42" Tires??

Hell Everyone,

I got some 42" TSL Super Swamper with about 70% tread for my excursion for 300$ on CL a few months back. I've had them sitting around but just recently finally purchased 20x12 Fuel Octanes to get my X back on the road.

I found a guy that will mount them for me for 80$ (won't fit on machines) so it runs a little more. But he suggested I used balancing BB's or beads. They use it on all their trucks with offroad tires and semi's as well.

The fellow I purchased them from used the beads as there is still some left over. I'm just trying to figure out what I should do to balance mine. Most shops around here don't have machines big enough to do 42s.

What did some of you guys do on swampers 40" and up?

Thanks

Old 09-04-2014, 07:08 AM
TheDipArmy
New User
The wheels I got

Old 09-04-2014, 07:14 AM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Where are you in florida?

Old 09-04-2014, 07:28 AM
icentropy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah BBs work just fine. I've heard of anywhere from 12oz to upwards of 16oz for your 42s (taking the tire diameter into consideration). there's all sorts of opinions on plastic vs ceramic vs steel... me I'd go with heavy plastic airsoft BBs .25g ones. this pack should be enough for all four tires. Airsoft Sniper Rifle TSD Black 6mm 25g Refill Pack 10000RDS Plastic BBs Slick | eBay oh and no amount of BBs or weights will smooth out out-of-round tires which do happen a lot more often on big MTs like those. i had a vibration i couldn't track down until i took my truck to a shop had them lift it up to get all four tires off the ground and put it in 1st gear Low. then with all four tires spining slow it was easy to see the wobble on one wheel. you can also use an indicator or even a pen/pencil taped to a chair and placed so the tip is almost touching the tire. I had an out of round wheel. Same thing happened to my dad with an out of round tire.

Old 09-04-2014, 07:29 AM
TheDipArmy
New User
Originally Posted by LivingLarge
Where are you in florida?
Orlando 32805.

Here are the tires

Old 09-04-2014, 11:49 AM
TheDipArmy
New User
Originally Posted by icentropy
yeah BBs work just fine. I've heard of anywhere from 12oz to upwards of 16oz for your 42s (taking the tire diameter into consideration). there's all sorts of opinions on plastic vs ceramic vs steel... me I'd go with heavy plastic airsoft BBs .25g ones. this pack should be enough for all four tires. Airsoft Sniper Rifle TSD Black 6mm 25g Refill Pack 10000RDS Plastic BBs Slick | eBay oh and no amount of BBs or weights will smooth out out-of-round tires which do happen a lot more often on big MTs like those. i had a vibration i couldn't track down until i took my truck to a shop had them lift it up to get all four tires off the ground and put it in 1st gear Low. then with all four tires spining slow it was easy to see the wobble on one wheel. you can also use an indicator or even a pen/pencil taped to a chair and placed so the tip is almost touching the tire. I had an out of round wheel. Same thing happened to my dad with an out of round tire.
what did you guys do in the event of the out of round tire? Which would really suck. It looks like 1 of mine rolls at very tad bit different than the other 3. I don't even think they make the 42x15.5x20 anymore either so hopefully I won't have to buy 4 new ones. Don't have those kind of funds!

It could just be my eye playing tricks on me too

Old 09-04-2014, 12:11 PM
icentropy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TheDipArmy
what did you guys do in the event of the out of round tire? Which would really suck. It looks like 1 of mine rolls at very tad bit different than the other 3. I don't even think they make the 42x15.5x20 anymore either so hopefully I won't have to buy 4 new ones. Don't have those kind of funds!

It could just be my eye playing tricks on me too
honestly you're kinda screwed. normally we just make that the spare and get a round tire for the truck. I've heard of places that can true up a tire some by scraping or grinding it round but i've never even talked to someone that's actually had it done so it could be a myth if it were me, if it's not too bad i'd just make sure to designate it as a rear tire only and deal with the slight vibrations. If it's really bad then.....

Old 09-04-2014, 12:25 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
honestly you're kinda screwed. normally we just make that the spare and get a round tire for the truck. I've heard of places that can true up a tire some by scraping or grinding it round but i've never even talked to someone that's actually had it done so it could be a myth if it were me, if it's not too bad i'd just make sure to designate it as a rear tire only and deal with the slight vibrations. If it's really bad then.....
That's why I asked what part of florida he was in, there is a small shop here in Fort Lauderdale that trues a tire and balances them on the vehicle. I've been using them for years, the equipment used are both new technology and equipment that looks like it's from the 50's.... Guy sets his chin on your bumper to feel for vibrations while machinery is spinning one tire at a time.

The machine that cuts your tires are actually spinning the tire while a blade is removing the uneven rubber (making it a perfectly round tire).

This process is not cheap, but the results are outstanding!

Road Trip!

Old 09-04-2014, 12:37 PM
David7.3
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They actually do have a machine that takes an out of round tire and grinds the tread to get it round. they can even make up for a bent rim. I know the pep boy's by me in Ocean NJ has this machine and watched it run. It spins the tire slowly all computerized and finds the high spot then every pass as the tire rotates these grinders come out and grind the rubber off the high side, I was impressed with the whole design. i dont know the name of the machine but it was made by FMC. You may not get it perfect but I am sure it's alot better than before. Call your tire shops and see if they have a tire matching machine.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:42 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
you could get 2 new boggers and put them on the back, make sure they are same diameter

Old 09-04-2014, 12:46 PM
LivingLarge
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Skip1970
you could get 2 new boggers and put them on the back, make sure they are same diameter
His wife said NO

Old 09-04-2014, 12:59 PM
TheDipArmy
New User
lol I will just hope it doesn't have a wobble I guess for now. The shop that's gonna mount them said he's had jeeps that do it and he gets them all nice and even. I will take his word for it for now! His customers are always happy.

Wish me luck lol

Old 09-05-2014, 12:01 AM
dvldog458
Elder User
First off...Bad *** truck!

I mounted my 40's on a balancing machine...barely fit. I used 1oz stick on weights.
I'm interested on how u make out. in case I upgrade soon. Keep us posted.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:17 AM
BruteFord
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My dynabeads do a great job on my out of round swampers, no swamper is completely round. I do put the worst ones in the back and can feel it a bit at times at medium speeds.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:43 AM
TheDipArmy
New User
Originally Posted by BruteFord
My dynabeads do a great job on my out of round swampers, no swamper is completely round. I do put the worst ones in the back and can feel it a bit at times at medium speeds.
I guess thats good news then

This isn't my daily driver so I should be ok. I have a Ninja Zx10 I scoot around on and a bagged chevy malibu

This is my project truck