2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

New 2008 Navi... time to remove alot of chrome

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 09:26 PM
rick chi-town-2
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New 2008 Navi... time to remove alot of chrome

I hope this works... here's my new ride. Kind of an extra car for the wife and to drive on road trips... and at 12mpg, probably a good thing. Had for just over a week, and we love it. I have had an '05 & a '10 Expy, so I know all there is to love AND hate about these cars. This particular unit... was in the shop for a tune up, and yes all 8 plugs snapped off. Has the squeaky, slow driver side window motor. Has bubbling paint on the tailgate. Has inoperable running board, either side. That's all I can think for now, but give me time. And yet, oddly, I keep coming back. With this one, I'm in the process of trying to make it look less like a hooptie, and more monochromatic... chrome is not my thing. So far, I have had painted, the front of hood and the lower grill. I de-badged the back, and blacked out the chrome strip under the windows. Next up is the lower side chrome rockers, but the paint to match replacements are expensive, I might check junk yards. Anywho, I can post more pics, let me know what u think.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:25 PM
svfetter
Junior User
Looks nice but I love Chrome. Wish we were closer so we could swap out the roof rack as we previously talked about. Good Luck with her.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:40 PM
rick chi-town-2
New User
Originally Posted by svfetter
Looks nice but I love Chrome. Wish we were closer so we could swap out the roof rack as we previously talked about. Good Luck with her.
Yeah, for sure... well, if you change your mind, I have access to a lot of boxes, if you change your mind and decide you'd like to try the ship both ways thing, I'm in. Would just need to work out specifics... rick

Old 05-20-2014, 07:49 PM
rick chi-town-2
New User
and here's my first two...

Old 05-20-2014, 08:18 PM
svfetter
Junior User
Where are you at in Illinois. Just thinking if we were close enough to meet half way for the swap.

As far as shipping - I guess you would take all the pieces and pack parallel, wrapped individually and then box. Do you have any idea what it would cost to ship? I am in zip code 40216. Of course UPS ground.

Are we sure that the Nav and Exp racks are interchangeable. I have not checked part numbers myself.

Just keeping options open.

Old 05-21-2014, 10:51 AM
Big
Senior User
We are looking to get back into an 07+ Expy/Navi after getting rid of our 05. I found a good deal on an 08 Navi but unfortunately was sold before I could move on it. I was thinking the exact same thing, though, about removing all the chrome that I could. I like the look of the Navi but have never been one for bling. I thought the first thing to go would be those massive chrome rockers. I like the subdued look much better.

Old 05-21-2014, 11:24 AM
svfetter
Junior User
Originally Posted by svfetter

Are we sure that the Nav and Exp racks are interchangeable. I have not checked part numbers myself.

Just keeping options open.

Rick, I did check part numbers and they do seem to be the same for everything 2007 and after.

Old 05-21-2014, 05:10 PM
Ristow
New User
That looks really good,Rick!

Old 05-21-2014, 09:09 PM
rick chi-town-2
New User
Originally Posted by Big
We are looking to get back into an 07+ Expy/Navi after getting rid of our 05. I found a good deal on an 08 Navi but unfortunately was sold before I could move on it. I was thinking the exact same thing, though, about removing all the chrome that I could. I like the look of the Navi but have never been one for bling. I thought the first thing to go would be those massive chrome rockers. I like the subdued look much better.
thanks guys! And Big, you'll be in the same boat then... So far, I've had the top front edge of hood, and lower grill painted, and the other little things I've mentioned aove. The lower rockers are turning out to be way more of a project than I had anticipated. I think they're on with a 3M type, double-sided, and the white plastic below it is not smooth. The replacement paint to match part is like over $200/door, plus painting and installation. You might as well add and add'l $1k to the price of your used Navi. sucks...

Old 05-22-2014, 01:56 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
nice looking. I would buy another one to replace my 08 Expy EL. always liked the creature comforts of the Lincolns

Old 05-22-2014, 06:25 PM
Big
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tylus
nice looking. I would buy another one to replace my 08 Expy EL. always liked the creature comforts of the Lincolns
Tylus,
What creature comforts do that Navis have the Expys don't have available? I just started looking so I'm not sure what to look for. It looks like you can find a comparable year/mileage Navi for just a little bit more than the Expy, but I find myself wondering if it is worth any more?

I have always been a less-is-more kinda guy when it comes to looks. I like the blacked out black trucks with black wheels. But not done in a look-at-me way. I am almost thinking that the Limited with the black grille, shave all the chrome a and badging, add some subtle black wheels, maybe a 1-2" drop and your're there.

But if the Navi has some goodies and a nicer interior then, I could be persuaded to go that way.

Big

Old 05-22-2014, 10:42 PM
rick chi-town-2
New User
For all intents & purposes, they are the same truck... hauling stuff, pulling trailers, MPG's down the road, etc., they are interchangeable. Having driven 2 Expy's, and now a Navi, the only noticeable tweaks to the Navi are HID/xenon headlights, and power tilt wheel (not even power telescope). If you're currently in an Expy, you know full-well how bad the headlights suck... was always one of my biggest gripes. Xenons are worth the extra cash, always. Just to be able to see at night, is really helpful. Power tilt wheel? Who cares. So you'll be paying for better headlights. In fact, the dash layout of the Navi is ugly, always has been, the Expy takes that, no question. Leather, same. And really, everything else, same. And then, at the end of the day, you have to figure out how to get rid of all the chrome.
And I would do it all again... just for the xenons. And no, aftermarket xenon retro-fits are not even in the same ballpark.

Old 05-23-2014, 01:46 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Too many difference to list. Mainly creature comforts. And yes those headlights rock vs the stock halogens

The basics like motor/trans are same. After that it gets different.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:44 PM
Big
Senior User
Too many difference to list. Mainly creature comforts. And yes those headlights rock vs the stock halogens The basics like motor/trans are same. After that it gets different.
Do the Navi lights fit into the Expy? I'm sure that's been looked into. I'm thinking the extras in the Nav are not enough to swing me that way. I like the look of the body-colored grille on the Expy better anyway. If the lights would swap out, the Expy would be a home run. Even with crappy lights it's a stand up triple.

Old 05-27-2014, 10:42 PM
rick chi-town-2
New User
Too many difference to list. Mainly creature comforts. And yes those headlights rock vs the stock halogens

The basics like motor/trans are same. After that it gets different.
Tylus, I'd be curious to hear all the differences myself... after having 2 Expy's, and now this Navi, I'm hard-pressed to name much else? Altho this THX system in this car is WAAAYYY better than even my '10 Expy Limited had. Sounds incredible... what else am I missing?

Quick Reply: New 2008 Navi... time to remove alot of chrome