Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked dashpad recovering tutorial/ How-to...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 07:27 PM
roughridn_sob
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Post Cracked dashpad recovering tutorial/ How-to...

Well about a month or so I ago was looking around the forum looking for -little walk-through tutorial/how-to on recovering the often ill-fated dashpad in our trucks after many failed trips to the junkyard trying to find a good one. I couldn't find anything so I took it upon myself to be the guinea pig and am pretty stoked with the results.

Just FYI I am not a pro, this my first time attempting something like this so if I can do it so can you.

STEP 1: TOOLS/SUPPLIES
- Scraper to ease removal of old molded vinyl/plastic
- Scissors AND razor (your gonna want both)
- Spray adhesive I talked with the local auto upholstery shop and explained what I was doing he recommended the "Loctite high performance" brand and told me to stay away from 3M I dunno why thats just what he said...
- Desired fabric (Not pictured)I used small perforated cloth backed vinyl again recommended by local auto upholsterer..er..guy not only did it match my door panels he said its good for high UV areas.

STEP 2: Start laying down your fabric
- I recommend starting in the middle and working away from your radio area (that's the hard part)

Take your time on this part. spray both the dash pad and the fabric and make sure it lays down flat. You get about 2 min of working time before the glue is set. Only lay the fabric on the top of the foam pad DO NOT go over the edges or around corners yet.

Step 3: Going Around the Radio bezel

I forgot to take pictures of this part partly because my figures had glue on them and partly because I was excited.

Start by doing a dry run pushing your fabric into the crease (it will bunch up don't worry about it). When you do this it will give you a good idea on where to make a relief cut. do it 2 or 3 times so your sure that's where its gunna be, use your thumbs to roll the fabric in. you can mark it or eyeball it and then make the relief cut with your scissors. then spray the glue and repeat for other corner.

Step 4: Edges
After the whole top and radio bezel are done and glued in the you can start working your way around the edges. I was able to go around the whole edge only making 2 relief cuts. just use your thumbs and roll the edges keeping the fabric tight.

Step 5: Trim and DONE!

After all your corners and edges are wrapped (overlapping about 1/2" on the back) trimoff excess fabric with a razor (way easier than scissors). And you are done turn it over and check out your handy work. NOT TO SHABBY, see I knew you could do it!

Thanks for reading. If you have any questions feel free to message me on here and I'll help the best I can.

The following 4 users liked this post by roughridn_sob:
Old 05-18-2014, 09:43 PM
Macs1964F100
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thank you for the information. I looked at my tonight. The part you recovered is all that is needed. The rest is fine. You have given me inspiration to cover the dash and fix the glove box.

Why did you go with the perforated vinyl?

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-18-2014, 10:44 PM
Truck Guy99
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great how to! This should be stickied

Old 05-18-2014, 11:44 PM
roughridn_sob
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Totally forgot to mention the most important part!

Step -1: Remove dash pad

Remove glove box and stereo. there are (6) six bolts on the backside of the dash pad. easy as that it is out.

Old 05-19-2014, 08:51 AM
Macs1964F100
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Truck Guy99
Great how to! This should be stickied
I agree how do you nominate a thread to be stuck?

Old 08-25-2014, 06:45 AM
Stevaroo01
Elder User
Great info and write-up!! Thank you!

Question for you... Approximately how much did it cost for the materials? Any idea how that compares to buying a replacement dash panel?

Thanks again! Glad this was stickied.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:03 PM
MrFlareside95
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How did you take the dash off of the truck?

thanks.

Last edited by MrFlareside95; 11-22-2014 at 01:10 PM. Reason: wanted to say thanks for replying to my question.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:13 PM
Island Time
Laughing Gas

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFlareside95
How did you take the dash off of the truck?

thanks.
Read post #4.

Honestly, it isn't that long of a thread.

Old 02-01-2015, 12:26 PM
maytag906
Posting Guru
would you recommend sanding the old vinyl smooth?

Old 03-30-2015, 07:33 PM
bftchamp
New User
Originally Posted by roughridn_sob
Well about a month or so I ago was looking around the forum looking for -little walk-through tutorial/how-to on recovering the often ill-fated dashpad in our trucks after many failed trips to the junkyard trying to find a good one. I couldn't find anything so I took it upon myself to be the guinea pig and am pretty stoked with the results.

Just FYI I am not a pro, this my first time attempting something like this so if I can do it so can you.

STEP 1: TOOLS/SUPPLIES
- Scraper to ease removal of old molded vinyl/plastic
- Scissors AND razor (your gonna want both)
- Spray adhesive I talked with the local auto upholstery shop and explained what I was doing he recommended the "Loctite high performance" brand and told me to stay away from 3M I dunno why thats just what he said...
- Desired fabric (Not pictured)I used small perforated cloth backed vinyl again recommended by local auto upholsterer..er..guy not only did it match my door panels he said its good for high UV areas.

STEP 2: Start laying down your fabric
- I recommend starting in the middle and working away from your radio area (that's the hard part)

Take your time on this part. spray both the dash pad and the fabric and make sure it lays down flat. You get about 2 min of working time before the glue is set. Only lay the fabric on the top of the foam pad DO NOT go over the edges or around corners yet.

Step 3: Going Around the Radio bezel

I forgot to take pictures of this part partly because my figures had glue on them and partly because I was excited.

Start by doing a dry run pushing your fabric into the crease (it will bunch up don't worry about it). When you do this it will give you a good idea on where to make a relief cut. do it 2 or 3 times so your sure that's where its gunna be, use your thumbs to roll the fabric in. you can mark it or eyeball it and then make the relief cut with your scissors. then spray the glue and repeat for other corner.

Step 4: Edges
After the whole top and radio bezel are done and glued in the you can start working your way around the edges. I was able to go around the whole edge only making 2 relief cuts. just use your thumbs and roll the edges keeping the fabric tight.

Step 5: Trim and DONE!

After all your corners and edges are wrapped (overlapping about 1/2" on the back) trimoff excess fabric with a razor (way easier than scissors). And you are done turn it over and check out your handy work. NOT TO SHABBY, see I knew you could do it!

Thanks for reading. If you have any questions feel free to message me on here and I'll help the best I can.
This is a great how to guide just not sure it'll work for me I'm from the Phoenix area the did a lot more than little cracks its got huge cracks that are curling around edges think this process will still work for me

Old 05-09-2015, 02:45 PM
copen93
Junior User
I attempted the dash pad recovery, it turned out pretty great. I went to a yard since I saw a parting out truck and the dash pad was in mint condition, though it had been there for weeks, well someone took apart the dash and left the doors open and it ended up cracking, not nearly as bad as my old one, but still cracks so I followed this and this is what I ended up with. Ignore my stupid ugly glove box, still working on that lol! The hardest part was taking out the radio, like I spent a good 45 minutes trying, while sweating since it was as humid as the amazon outside.
Name:  qNwenhO.jpg
Views: 1655
Size:  668.9 KB
I went to Walmart for the vinyl, I used what is left of their stock and they said they weren't ordering anymore. Lol.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:34 AM
mefast
Senior User
Thanks for the write up. I've been thinking about doing this with mine as well. Would it be possible to use the same glue on the other interior trim pieces?

Old 09-27-2015, 01:40 PM
Gasquatch
Junior User
Originally Posted by roughridn_sob
Totally forgot to mention the most important part!

Step -1: Remove dash pad

Remove glove box and stereo. there are (6) six bolts on the backside of the dash pad. easy as that it is out.
THAT'S what I was lookin for, thanks man. Great sticky! FTE comes through yet again!

Old 10-04-2015, 12:46 AM
lcgeek
Mountain Pass
You mention using a scaper to remove old vinyl/molded plastic but in the pics I only see bits and peices of the original removed. Did you remove ALL the original down to the foam?

Old 12-19-2015, 08:52 AM
chrismd188
Senior User
How well is this still holding up and peeling around the corners?

Quick Reply: Cracked dashpad recovering tutorial/ How-to...