Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Please read this saga and help restore my faith in 7.3

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 03:13 AM
BigAlsPSD
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds Oil related as my initial thoughts...

These motors will start with no fuel pressure just not run very well.

To test if the ICP was the issue you can simply unplug it, and see if will start then, it defaults pressures.

First thoughts based on your description is the oil level...These injectors need oil and will not start if it gets low.

As others have stated live data while cranking will help, if you can view data with your scanner monitor ICP and IPR duty cycle, as well as fuel PW, these will help narrow things down. Where are you located? Maybe someone nearby with AE or similar to view live data.

Old 05-14-2014, 09:05 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts
Rebuilt IPR with NAPA parts... dubious, but not doomed.

Dropped tank and re-connected QDs - suspect O-rings on your quick-disconnects letting a little too much air in (verification needed).

Fuel pressure needs to be known.

7K-9K oil changes? HEUI injector systems are particular about oil... this may be a clue.

Oil... biggest suspect. When it dies, open the HPOP reservoir cap and look in there. If it's not within an inch of the top... suspicions abounds. You might have lost a LPOP (not likely), you could have lost an oil cooler O-ring or tube, the oil all over the engine can be from bad HPO fitting O-rings, the IPR may still be bad, you could have blown an injector O-ring (or several), yadda, yadda, yadda.

You need a scan tool to know where things are unraveling, not a code reader that doesn't see the Ford codes. There are too many variables going on, including some of the repairs that may or may not have added to the problem.

Hey gang... Cody test?

Old 05-14-2014, 03:10 PM
Still Truckin'
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody in Butte county with AE I'll pay for diag. 5 weeks without truck killing me. We are right in the middle of an across town move and my wife's Grand Vitara won't haul the furniture and my equipment.

The oil is pretty clean hpop full before and after cranking.

I tried starting without chip, but same result, however it finally threw a code... 1670, and I was thinking this was just from the chip removal. Yes, I pulled bat cables when removing PCM. I'm going to clear the code and see if it comes back. Wish I could change the thread title. Maybe I should start a new thread?

After 5 weeks, I don't have time or money to waste on "Check this, replace that, possible causes 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,etc...".

Best truck I ever had, and I've owned MANY. However, when something like this happens, it is kinda demoralizing, and too many possible causes.

Anybody? Thanks

Old 05-14-2014, 03:19 PM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
Hang in there, we'll get you figured out, but we need more information. Do you have an Android phone? If so download Torque Pro app. Then you will need an adapter for the OBD port. They sell them on Amazon for $15-$20.

Old 05-14-2014, 03:30 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Still Truckin'
After 5 weeks, I don't have time or money to waste on "Check this, replace that, possible causes 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,etc...".
Without any actual data from your truck, that's about the best anyone here can do.

For now, see if the P1670 comes back. If it does, that code can be caused by anything from a simple wiring problem to a bad PCM.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Still Truckin'
New User
Thanks again Pikachu, and HK. HK, thanks for the encouragement. I was thinking about selling it for whatever, so I can move-on, but maybe I'll get it towed too the new house, and try to buy a beater truck to get me by till I can go through everything on my PSD. Sorry, no smart-phone, just desktop.

So, I cleared the codes and re-scanned and now I'm getting 0344, 1670, and 1316. I have been scanning this for weeks since the problem started and no codes until today. I think I'll check the PCM plug, since it started throwing codes only after I pulled the PCM to remove chip.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:38 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Any of those codes could be caused by a loose PCM connector, so checking the harness seems like a good logical next step to me.

Old 05-14-2014, 04:43 PM
Still Truckin'
New User
Just went out n' cleared codes again. I grabbed and pulled and felt around the wiring harnesses all over. Then I tried to start and it seemed to want to stay running a few seconds longer. I tried like twenty times and each time I cranked it would start for a few seconds and die, but a couple of times just now it actually ran for maybe 7 seconds or so, instead of the usual 2 to 3 seconds. Same codes still coming back. It seems like maybe bad wiring, or like the engine is trying to purge air. Only making a small amount of smoke on these starting attempts. Thanks for reading.

Old 05-14-2014, 06:59 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 144 Likes on 103 Posts
Sounds like wiring to me now. Burnt pins in the harness or just a bad wire going to the harnesses. Happens a lot on older trucks.

Old 05-14-2014, 07:22 PM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
What color smoke?

Old 05-14-2014, 08:04 PM
trike1946
Logistics Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A short in the wiring harness over the valve cover?

Old 05-14-2014, 08:50 PM
Pikachu
Post Fiend
Here's some information related to the codes, and a few things you can check with a multimeter.

P0344: Camshaft position sensor circuit intermittent
There are three wires to the CPS. The light blue one should have continuity to ground. The brown one with a white tracer should have +5 volts on it. The dark green wire should have +12 volts on it.

P1316: IDM codes stored
A scan tool with the ability to run a Key On, Engine Off (KOEO) or injector buzz test is needed to retrieve IDM codes. This code may be related to the P1670.

P1670: Electronic Feedback signal not received
There is a wire that runs from pin #48 of the PCM to pin #2 of the IDM for the EF signal. It's grey with a white tracer. If you can check continuity of that wire while wiggling harnesses around might reveal an open or intermittent circuit.

Old 05-14-2014, 10:05 PM
Still Truckin'
New User
Good advice, I'll try testing the PCM to IDM wire, and the CPS wire. At this point it's probably narrowed down to IDM, or Harness, or PCM. Still a chance it could be IPR or injector O-rings. Thanks for taking the time to help. I appreciate it.

Does anyone have any theories as to why It wasn't throwing codes until after I pulled the chip?

Old 05-14-2014, 10:20 PM
Still Truckin'
New User
John 2001... The smoke is a small amount of what seems to be grayish-white to my eyes. It dissipates by the time I run to the rear of truck to get a closer look. Thanks again everybody. Ya'all are great and so is this forum.

Old 05-18-2014, 05:03 PM
Still Truckin'
New User
After messing with it a little everyday, It finally started running today, sort of. Problem now is I don't know why it's running. All I did was change back to the old CPS that was in when the trouble started, and I also stuck a wood wedge between the IPR solenoid and the HPOP, to keep the solenoid from moving sideways. The truck then started and ran rough at first, then smoothed out. However, after a few minutes of idling it would suddenly hit a spot and go rough again. Each time it went to the rough idle, it would throw a code 1316. If I shut off and re-started it would immediately run smooth again and self-clear the code, until the next time it went to rough idle. The rough idle sounds like it's running on one bank. I'm afraid to take it on the road until tomorrow, when I can be followed by a buddy in case it stops. I also pulled the wood wedge out and it does not make a diff. I even moved the IPR solenoid side to side while it was running, and no change in idle.

So I personally think it is narrowed down to the IPR or CPS. It could be IDM. Any thoughts out there. Do I just need to drive it to clear the smooth to rough issue? Both the old and new CPS are gray BWDs. I'm stumped because I really don't know what I've done to get it running other than change back to old CPS. ??? Anyone? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Please read this saga and help restore my faith in 7.3