Camera on back of 5th wheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 08:32 AM
mmcd7006
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camera on back of 5th wheel

I am thinking about adding a camera to the back of my 30' 5th wheel camper to keep an eye on my boat. Any suggestions on where to mount the camera, what type of camera to purchase, how to wire it, etc. would be greatly appreciated. Pictures of where you mounted the camera would help. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:22 AM
Gearitis
Laughing Gas

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 05-01-2014, 11:10 AM
Archion
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
What I did on mine for our bumper pull, I already had a 7" touchscreen head unit in the dash. I bough two rear view cameras of the same model, $15 ebay specials, plate mount style. When I wired it in, I split the video connection behind the bumper near the hitch. I mounted the second camera on the rear of the trailer and ran the video wire up the frame and when I hitch up, I just swap the connection over to the trailer wire. Then I can access the camera at any time going down the road.

If you don't have an in dash unit already, you could go with one of the wireless kits.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:42 AM
thomabb
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been doing some research on this subject. From what I have learned so far, a wireless setup can be problematic for a 5th wheel. The power and range of the typical transmitter isn't adequate.

Subscribing here for continuous education purposes...

Old 05-01-2014, 01:26 PM
wingedone
Tuned
Originally Posted by Gearitis
That's the unit I have on my 5th.

I was leary of drilling holes into my rear cap (that camera is HEAVY), so I put the camera on my ladder. Put some rubber around it to keep it rubbing on the black metal and zip tied the wire on. I then ran the wire under the 5th, encased in plastic wire protector, zip tied it underneath, up through the bottom of the front storage compartment, and added an angle iron for the plug. Works great and on 100% of the time towing (works excellent at night also).

Old 05-01-2014, 07:56 PM
Chalkie
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wingedone
I was leary of drilling holes into my rear cap (that camera is HEAVY), so I put the camera on my ladder.
I have been looking at that unit in a 2 camera version so I had some help when hooking up a regular trailer and one on the back of the fiver.

How heavy is the camera? All I see in the specs is the weight of the monitor.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:08 PM
wingedone
Tuned
Originally Posted by Chalkie
I have been looking at that unit in a 2 camera version so I had some help when hooking up a regular trailer and one on the back of the fiver.

How heavy is the camera? All I see in the specs is the weight of the monitor.
It's approximately 1 1/2 pounds. Feels much heavier in my hands. And when I was considering that there were only 2 slots for screws and that thing would be bouncing around back there, I just did not want to take the chance.

Now, if you have a solid backing to screw into, then go ahead. I wasn't sure where mine would be solid, so it was easy for me just to attach it to the ladder. Plus, I was able to easily remove it before storage.