Sponsored by:

Exhaust idea

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 09:04 AM
Matthew Kasper
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust idea

Ok so did a 351w swap and installed short tube headers on it now the exhaust don't fit so I figured I might as well just get the exhaust done my way now. I thinking either straight pipes with megaphone exhaust tips or glass packs with megaphone exhaust tips. I have no idea how you size megaphone tips like I want to where it opens up to like 5in does anyone have any experience with megaphones I know it is extremely rare nowadays. What is your guys opinion?

Old 04-14-2014, 09:37 AM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Audio signature matters little to me. I prefer the proverbial "sleeper" mentality. Quiet and unassuming until the throttle gets dumped. Just my $0.02. Whatever you end up doing DO NOT exit Bronco exhaust out the back of the truck!

Old 04-14-2014, 10:14 AM
Fordman96
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why not out the back Greystreak?

If you have EFI you can't do pure straight pipes because you need some back pressure. I think you'll have to get a custom y-pipe from your local shop then it's pretty much whatever you want. I have custom y-pipe to a crappy dual in dual out muffler.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:42 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
true duals also doesnt really flow correctly due to the all the bends getting around the Tcase.

Run a customer built Y pipe or Bassani Y pipe, Hi flow cat and 3" exhaust running stock location which you can then split to a dual look if you so wish. I run a hooker Aerochamber muffler which has a nice tone when cruising and wakes up well when on the skinny peddle.

Old 04-14-2014, 10:52 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 970 Likes on 766 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordman96
If you have EFI you can't do pure straight pipes because you need some back pressure.
Sorry that is completely false.

It seems all the kids these days want these massive big exhaust tips. I don't get it but it has little or no effect on how the system performs so you can pretty much do whatever you like.

Old 04-14-2014, 12:57 PM
MadMatt65
Senior User
Originally Posted by Conanski
Sorry that is completely false.

It seems all the kids these days want these massive big exhaust tips. I don't get it but it has little or no effect on how the system performs so you can pretty much do whatever you like.
Hey Conanski or Greystreak....where did the "you need back pressure or you'll burn a valve" thing come from?? I had heard, and believed the same thing when I was younger, till I was at the shop of Dave Schultz down here (before he passed away). They were doing some dyno pulls on his bike and one of the kids hanging around, asked don't you need "back pressure?" I remember the engine builder saying the more free flowing exhaust....the better. That has kind of been my mantra ever since, as I did builds for me and other peoples stuff. (I've never burned a valve in anything I had!) Just curious!

Matthew.....if you run pipes out the back of an SUV, you can get exhaust fumes entering the vehicle from the back window. If you want the megaphones, angle them to the sides behind the rear tires. I've seen them run out the back, but it's not worth the risk of sucking exhaust fumes!

Old 04-14-2014, 01:16 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 970 Likes on 766 Posts
Originally Posted by MadMatt65
Hey Conanski or Greystreak....where did the "you need back pressure or you'll burn a valve" thing come from??
It comes from the old carbed engine days, those fueling devices have no way of self adjusting to the relatively large changes in fuel requirements that occur when a restrictive exhaust is opened up. EFI on the other hand is designed to continually self adjust to a variety of operating conditions including temperature, air pressure, altitude, and changes in the exhaust system as it ages and deteriorates. Basically as long as the O2 sensor remains in the exhaust system and connected to the computer there is no way to burn a valve or otherwise damage an EFI motor with exhaust changes.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:35 PM
MadMatt65
Senior User
Originally Posted by Conanski
It comes from the old carbed engine days, those fueling devices have no way of self adjusting to the relatively large changes in fuel requirements that occur when a restrictive exhaust is opened up. EFI on the other hand is designed to continually self adjust to a variety of operating conditions including temperature, air pressure, altitude, and changes in the exhaust system as it ages and deteriorates. Basically as long as the O2 sensor remains in the exhaust system and connected to the computer there is no way to burn a valve or otherwise damage an EFI motor with exhaust changes.
Thanks......Thanks for making me feel like an old dinosaur!! Now my head hurts like when one of my old employees (who went to school!) tried to explain older and newer EFI to me! Just kidding!! I just remember that always being said, but wondered why. I guess I have "burned" some valves, and piston or two.......but that was due to a BIG shot of nitrous and a little too much timing!! Thanks for the reply though....very well put!

Old 04-14-2014, 02:35 PM
Matthew Kasper
New User
let it be known that the truck is not the standard bronco i have built it up some. i did a smog pump delete along with holley 4 barrel carb and edlebrock performer intake and hei ignition

Old 04-14-2014, 03:40 PM
gatorfor88
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Since I am undecided on whether to install the hedmann headers I have held on to for 20+ years, I may just take the hood off my old Gal and run a set of truck pulling headers. My neighbors might not appreciate it though. What the hell I dont like most of em anyhow.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:39 PM
Fordman96
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by gatorfor88
Since I am undecided on whether to install the hedmann headers I have held on to for 20+ years, I may just take the hood off my old Gal and run a set of truck pulling headers. My neighbors might not appreciate it though. What the hell I dont like most of em anyhow.
Truck pulling headers would be really sweet to see!!!

And with all the backpressure straightened out, looks like I'm looking for a new exhaust man.

Old 04-14-2014, 08:11 PM
greystreak92
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordman96
Why not out the back Greystreak?
Because the dead air vortex behind the truck while it is moving pulls the exhaust into the cabin either through the open back glass or (and this happens whether the glass is open or closed) the weep holes in the tailgate. No stock Bronco has the exhaust exit out the back for this reason. I suppose if you enjoy the dull throbbing headache that exhaust fumes give you just before you pass out, it would be worth a try though.

Old 04-15-2014, 08:03 AM
Fordman96
Posting Guru
No I know all about exhaust fumes in the cab and the massive headache it gives. When you have 2 holes in your floor the size of your fist, open headers is probably the worst idea.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:24 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
to the OP, what year rig is this, can you give us more information please.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:49 AM
Fordman96
Posting Guru
According to his profile he has a 92' but that's about all it says

Quick Reply: Exhaust idea