1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The lost and the found

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2014, 10:14 PM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
The lost and the found

Hello FTE!

The warm weather has come to the lands of Northern New Jersey. I started my day of cursing at the POS GM product sitting in my repair driveway. I wanted to start the car to move it out of the way for some TLC to the F250. In true fashion, it decided not to start today. This lead me to contact my friend to find out when he is going to buy it. Turns out he cannot afford and his mother is now going to buy it since she doesn't want to rack up the miles on my friend's ride. As the kid's say if they still say it, whatevs. However, according to my friend he will get it out of my driveway so I can have it back for my use.

After dealing with all that and clearing the car out of personal effects, I had to leave for some time to deal with a few other Saturday based functions. When my family and I got home, I told the wife I was going to change the oil in the truck and try to get a few other things done before dark. Well after owning the truck for almost a year now, I never changed the oil myself. It went to the dealer because of some wacky Groupon order my wife found. I am sorry but you really cannot beat a $9.50 oil change with 6 qts of oil. Of course she finds this offer after I bought the oil and filters from the local wally world for both vehicles at the tune of over $40. So the oil and the filters were in stock in the auto section of the basement.

Now I a fairly big fellow with a small pot belly (combo of good cooking and beer drinking.) I figured the truck was high enough off the ground to handle my frame. I did manage to shimmy under. Things I learned on the first oil change for me was I should have brought out the socket set and I really need to get an oil filter wrench. Since I was changing the oil in the main driveway (since the lower one is occupied by the non functioning vehicle), it is harder to do basic maintenance on vehicles. The crushed 3/4 inch stone does not make the job any easier. I cannot just run a hose out the basement door to the vehicle or go to the tool box. Something as simple as sockets was a PITA. Of course I bring out the 14,15, and 17MM socket only to find out the plug was 16MM. Then the mechanic which I understand why he did it, basically used an impact wrench to install the oil filter. I had to shimmy out from under the truck 3 times to do a freakin oil change. This all to grab tools from the basement and walk through the house for a strap wrench or the correct socket. Next was another first for me. A bum oil filter.

Since I was old enough to help dad or even grandpa change oil, I was taught to add some oil into the filter before screwing it into place. Even when I had to perform basic service in the construction equipment biz, I would impress the mechanic with have the filter ready to go in the vertical applications. I figured this particular FL820S vertical filter replacement was going to be no different. I have used this filter a number of times on my Explorers while changing their oil. Something very simple and basic. In this case not!. When I screwed this filter into place, it leaked from the get go. When I tried to tighten, it would not. Luckily enough I had an extra since the same filter is on the Explorer in stock on the shelf. Did the same thing and we had success with it connecting. All my years with my personal vehicles or equipment, I never had a filter with screwed up threads!

With the filter in place and the oil drain plug tightened, my daughter wanted to help me with the oil change. I had her hand me the 2 quarts of oil and the 5 qt jug when I needed it. Replenishing the oil presented another challenge. Using my 2 foot ladder (of course another trip though the house with the wife asking questions of what I am doing.) was another first for me. I never ever had to use a ladder to re fill the oil. After my daughter felt like daddy's assistant, I cranked over the truck to cycle the oil in the engine to check the levels. Then back under to check for leaks. Luckily all good.

At this point, I would have checked my brakes. I have been getting some squealing when the brakes are up to temp. I figured I am getting some pin slide issue or low pads. I checked the pads a few weeks ago checking out the rims on the truck and they seemed fine. At this point I said I would not lug the jack up and it will have to wait for slide pin greasing.

I brought all the tools back inside to the basement. While putting things away, I found my father's day gift from last year on top of a box near the work bench. After putting the tools away, I gathered the supplies I would need to install the in lays for the grill and dash. The grill was quite a challenge since the chrome and the time of day made it fun to line up the black vinyl cut letters. However, when I was done I thought it looked pretty good for what I dealt with and the overall experience level. The dash inlay was easier but I felt cut letters were a hair too big for the in lay. I might have to get a fine exacto knife for some light clean up around the edges. By this time, dinner was ready and my wife came outside to see what I was up. I showed her and she asked when I got the letters, I told her it my father's day gift from last year. She goes, "Oh I thought had already installed them." I cleaned up around the truck and washed up for dinner.

Here are the results. Nothing super fancy and some dodgy camera work no less

After working on the truck this afternoon, I will be doing one or two things around the house. First I will be looking into constructing a concrete pad in my lower driveway. 2/3rds of my driveway/parking lot is crushed stone. The lower driveway is all crushed stone and dirt. I have been doing repairs in this spot for about 7 years now. I am 7 years older so crushed stone in the back feels alot more painful it would be nice to be able to jack this truck up without the jack or stands sinking to the ground some. I figure I could put the truck to good use for an equipment rental, stone retrieval, and pad related supplies. I look forward to this spring time project.

The second one is more of a judgement thing. I like do the basic maintenance to my truck. Any person male or female who has some mechanical ability can change oil, rotate tires, do brakes, spark plugs, and so forth. However, I realized so many places offer an oil change for $25 bucks, it is really hard to beat that. If I am spending 25 bucks at Walmart, Auto Zone, Pep Boys, the local dealer, am I really saving anything? The local Ford dealer always has a $30 special on an oil change and tire rotation. If you search around like my wife, it was 2 for $19.00. That is literally a no brainer to schedule an early morning appointment for an oil change not not have to get dirty. I understand the dealer is using it as a gimmick to get brake work, or some other repair. However, the way I see it with the truck, there is an extended warranty. It is a proof of record if there was god forbid a mechanical issue related to engine. I could use that saying, I had the oil changed by Ford on a regular interval as per guide lines spec. While working in the engine bay, I know there is going to be a point in which the spark plugs will need to be done. Knowing there will be 16 of them, it made me step back and think, do I want to spending my afternoon dealing with this or spend time with my daughter.

Tomorrow is another day. I want to clean her up a bit. Finally get the new replacement manifold in for the Airlift Wireless Air. Check to make sure it works because I will probably need it in a future project or use at some point in time.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:18 PM
Trophy_23
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Those inlays look sharp! I didn't think I'd ever say this but those grilles are a little 'too chrome' without something like that or a wind deflector.

Old 03-23-2014, 07:05 AM
FordmanNJ
Fleet Mechanic

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts
Thanks! I thought so too. Sorry for the rambling everyone. I tend to do as such when tired. I was really happy when I found them. I thought something happened to them. Then I got busy after I did the tailgate and never got back to doing the install on the grill or dash. The planning will start for the service pad though after this. The weather needs to get a bit warmer at night and car needs to be gone. One of those will be hopefully off the list by the end of the week when my friend has his tow truck buddy show up.