Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Possible Transmission Problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2014, 08:54 PM
aclaybor
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Possible Transmission Problems

So, I have a 4.9l 1995 F150 equipped with the E4OD trans. Lately, noticed over the last two or three days, the vehicle does not accelerate with moderate throttle. I can hear the RPMs of the engine increasing, but the vehicle speed will remain the same.

I checked my fluid color and level in the trans, and all was in fine. There was no discoloration or odor, nor was the fluid low at all. I'm wondering if this is a torque convertor issue, or a problem with the clutches slipping.

Mind you, my truck just hit 70k, so this isn't a high mileage vehicle. Under light load, or throttle, the vehicle will shift fine through all gears. However, if I try to accelerate heavily, the vehicle speed will not increase. Rather, the RPMs will rise, but I will not see a change in speed.

If anyone could provide me with some insight into this dilemma, it would be greatly appreciated. This is my daily driver, and while I'm alright with a set of wrenches, I do not have the tools or skills to rebuild a transmission.

Thank you.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:22 PM
Toplait
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just my opinion. I'm not a transmission expert in any shape or form. May be some one else can give some better advice.

I would drain the transmission fluid drop the pan and check the pan for metal pieces or particles. Drain the Converter and flush the system if possible.. If it looks okay..Install a new filter and fill it with new ATF fluid... Should hold about 17 quarts of fluid.

Old 03-21-2014, 09:26 PM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 970 Likes on 766 Posts
This trans is 100% computer controlled so pull the codes to see what is flagged.

Old 03-22-2014, 06:58 AM
aclaybor
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Conanski
This trans is 100% computer controlled so pull the codes to see what is flagged.
Would I have a check engine light on to indicate this, or would codes still be stored regardless of the light being on or not? I can certainly try later on today to pull the codes.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:13 AM
mrrish79
Senior User
Usually the OD light on your gear shifter blinks when there's an issue with the transmission. Is it blinking? And please notice I said usually! Have you posted in the transmission/drivetrain section of FTE? They helped me get my truck back up and running when I encountered transmission issues.

Old 03-22-2014, 09:21 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 970 Likes on 766 Posts
Check engine light is only activated for major codes but since the same computer operates both engine and trans even minor codes can affect trans operation, and that means engine codes can also affect trans operation so don't ignore anything. Speed input and the shift lever position sensor are critical inputs for correct trans operation, if your speedo is misbehaving that will have an immediate effect on the trans as the computer gets it's speed signal from the PSOM in the speedo cluster.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:35 PM
aclaybor
Freshman User
Thank you all for the input. I'm going to drain the fluid at some point and replace the filter to see if that helps. The trans was about half a quart low, so I topped it off this morning. I still noticed slipping while under heavy acceleration.

Checking for codes, here is what I ran into:

KOEO
Engine Running - 53, 26, 32

The codes all point to engine sensor malfunctions, specifically the MAF, EGR, and TPS. I don't know that any of these would cause the transmission to slip, but I could be wrong.

Would you guys reccomend that reset the computer or try to clean/replace the sensors that are malfunctioning?

I would like to know why my transmission is slipping still, because this only happens when trying to accelerate quickly.