Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

OD Flashing - 647 error code

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 09:51 AM
hoodsmack
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 95 Explorer XLT 2WD with 98K 4.0 engine. Recently got the OD light flashing and found out I have a 647 error code-improper ratio in shift to 3rd. Curious if anyone has thoughts on my specific code, esp. since upon leaving the station last night the OD light no longer flashes(they must have disconnected the battery which reset the computer). I am wondering what to do, but am leaning towards driving it for a while to see if it comes back. It drives smooth, although a clunking noise when putting it into reverse has occurred a couple times. I saw a thread from bfischer which was interesting bec/ the tranny fluid used during a flush was apparently incorrect. Had the 90K service done back 3 months ago, with Transmission flush using Dextron. Does anyone also know about what the proper fluid for this tranny is? Would Dextron adversely affect my tranny? Thanks in advance.

Old 07-02-2003, 12:20 PM
marragtop
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the same problem with my '95 4x4. When the problem occurs, I pull the codes, but they reveal nothing. Then I disconnect the battery for 5 minutes which clears the OD flashing light. Then the problems doesn't occur for another 3-4 months. It's going to have to get a lot worse before I'm willing to investigate further. I do know that it's not good for the trans to drive an extended distance with the light flashing. Apparently it goes into 'cripple' mode which makes the trans shift much harder which can't be good for it. Be interesting to see what other comments you get.

Mike

Old 07-02-2003, 03:54 PM
exlmtd
Freshman User

I know for a fact that driving with an OD light and just resetting the comptuer by disconnecting the battery light is detrimental. I just spend $2900 for rebuilding my transmission and $885 for a rebuilt transfercase.

All this started as stated with a blinking OD light, which made the transmission work harder, which after rebuilt revealed that the trnasfercase had some problems.

One thing though, I need to check with the shop if they put the proper transmission fluid, Macron V I hate to be back in the transmission shop a year from now.

Ed
95 Ford Explorer Limited 6cyl
4x4 4.0L

Old 09-23-2003, 08:35 PM
Partiers_com
New User

We have a similiar problem...Our 1995 Ford Explorer 4x4 overdrive light is blinking. We took it to the dealership and it was a code 647. They said they couldn't diagnose the problem any more unless we agreed to pay $550 to have them tear apart the transmission.

The overdrive light did not blink on the way home from the dealership.

Should we wait until the light blinks again or go ahead and pay to have our transmission rebuilt already?

Thanks,
Partiers.com staff

Old 09-23-2003, 11:04 PM
marragtop
Posting Guru

I'd suggest waiting to see if the problem re-occurs. It's been 6 months now, and the problem has not resurfaced for me(knock on wood big time!). The thing you don't want to do is drive any great distance with the light on, since it is causing the trans to work extra hard at that point. Good luck...

Old 10-03-2003, 02:14 AM
lolosierra
New User
I have the same problem. My 1997 Explorer over drive light flashes when I travel at speeds above 60 mph. It happens almost all the time now. Does this mean I'll have to repalce my tranny?

Old 10-08-2003, 03:03 PM
Rodney Taylor
New User
my 99 explorer limited did the same with the flashing light,dealer fixed the problem,most common problem in all fords and mazda's the reverse valve body in the trans,also make sure they torque to correct specs if not ur trans will seem to bng in gear two times when selected IE;reverse,drive

Old 11-17-2003, 03:56 PM
Ijoey1017I
New User
Does any one know how to fix this problem?

I went to the ford deal with my 1997 explorer adn I paid the $550 for them to fix the light. However the light isn't fixed adn they want another $1200. Sorry but I'm not made of money and I would like it if my SUV was fixed. I have had bad experience with Ford dealers. If anyone knows how to fix this please let me know!

Thx

Old 11-17-2003, 04:28 PM
explorersportgirl
New User
Unhappy Flashing O/D off light

I have a 95 Explorer Sport and the O/D off light has been flashing for the last 20 miles. I have no other problems while driving or any unusual noises. I plan to have the transmission checked soon but the light is very distracting while driving. So to stop it from flashing, I just disconnect the battery? Is this easy to do? Is there a fuse instead which controls this light?

Thanks!

Old 11-18-2003, 12:51 AM
Ijoey1017I
New User
If you bring you explorer to to a delaer be prepared to spend 550 dollars

Old 11-18-2003, 01:37 AM
marragtop
Posting Guru
You should not continue to drive the vehicle with the OD light flashing. Normally, when the light starts flashing, the transmission automatically goes into 'cripple' mode which makes it shift harder which is not good for the trans. Disconnect the battery for 5 minutes to reset the computer and hopefully, the won't come back on.

Mike

Old 11-18-2003, 09:04 AM
exlmtd
Freshman User
It seems to me that a lot of people have paid a good amount of money to Ford dealers or other transmission shops, only because "Ford" has put out a less than acceptable product in these trucks. The engineering studies for this items leaves a lot to be desire.

The thing is though, this are not cheap cars, every one who buys them pays quite a lot of money for them. In the case of brand new cars the simple fact of having the warranty of the car take care of the bill for you, does not excuse the fact that a bad product is being distributed to consumers.

I think it is time to demand a recall and reimburstment of any money paid out from a Ford truck owner because of this problem.

I good class action sue, would make any manufacturer think twice before putting a product out there that consumers are being asked to pay from their own packets for repairs, mean while the company knows, understands, and clearly does not care if an item is problematic, badly engineered; for as long as they are being paid, people are buying these problematic automobiles; they don't really care if cost you 4k or 8K to have it repair.

Maybe I'm just venting without any real results, but then again; isn't what these platforms are for. To collect knowledge that otherwise would go un-noticed, if going at it single hand.

Lets use this so called collective power and demand that a replacement, fix, or even a recall takes place.

Ed Martel

Old 11-18-2003, 06:28 PM
explorersportgirl
New User
Mike-thanks for your information about stopping the flashing light, I will try it.
I did take my car to aamco and they said I was burning out my gears and if I keep driving it I will no longer be able to shift between gears and the car may shift into neutral while driving. They quoted $2100 to fix. Otherwise my 95 explorer's not in the best condition, maybe it's time for a new one.

Old 11-18-2003, 08:44 PM
marragtop
Posting Guru
The $2100 sounds about right. I think when you disconnect/re-connect the battery the light will go out and stay out. I've had the same problem with my 95 a couple of times. I pull the codes and they don't reveal anything. Disconnect battery, and the light stays off for months. Good luck.

Mike

Old 12-20-2003, 07:52 PM
bullfrog681
New User
I'm thinking about the class action..I've been lokking online for the past 8 months about this and have found numerous complaints about the same thing..Leading me to bleive that this is an engineering problem with ford..I know that i paid good hard earned money for my explorer and i don't need to waste more money on a problem that i did not cause..So I'm gonna try to get this started so nobody should have to waste any more money on these problems..

Quick Reply: OD Flashing - 647 error code