1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'05 4WD death wobble

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 05:51 PM
FordTruckEnthusaist
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 4WD death wobble

So driving anything faster than 30mph there's a real loud clunking sound when you hit even the tiniest bumps. Also when you come to a stop after driving pretty fast for a while like coming off the highway once you hit the brakes it starts making a real loud groaning sound(for lack of better term) until you come to stop it makes a real loud clunk clunk clunk. I changed the hubs thinking it was a bearing howling cause the orange bearings in the units had play them but no change. So now I tried locking hubs and driving for a couple of days and it hasn't done the weird noise when coming to a stop at all, unlocked them drove down the road and they did it after 1 or 2 stops. Locked my hubs again and it hasn't done it in since. I got out tried spinning the u joints and of course they were locked in, unlocked the driver side hub and tried spinning them, going counter clockwise it was hard as hell to turn them it would turn smooth then stop and be real hard to turn.. Does this sound like u joints?

Old 03-16-2014, 11:27 PM
FordTruckEnthusaist
Senior User
Anyone have any input?

Old 03-17-2014, 07:01 AM
jdadamsjr
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry - my guess it's not 'the death wobble' but just worn out parts...

Have you narrowed it down to the front end for sure ?
could it be just lubrication/grease ?

you tried bearings, is it tie rods, steering knuckles, any linkage, steering stabilizers...

Old 03-17-2014, 07:44 AM
02TB250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gotta agree death wobble is quite dramatic and nothing like what your describing. I would suggest you check the shock bushings and sway bar links as well. Possibly spring isolators

Your u joints will typically present themselves when changing direction forward or reverse not bumps, although not impossible....

Old 03-17-2014, 08:45 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 994 Likes on 764 Posts
the growling noise as you slow down makes me want to check all the fluids in all the gear boxes. If I had to guess as to what you could find under a worst case senerio is ATF in the forward gearbox. the front gearbox should have gear oil, the transfer case ATF, and the rear gearbox gear oil. All of which should be fords super secret formula to include the additives.

The noise on bumps....join the club...you could wind up rebuilding the entire front end and never find it. I had a clunk on bump situation going and it turned out to be loose bolts at the very front of the chasis in the area of the bumper.

I would suggest you drop your air pressure to 50 pSI temporaily while you trouble shoot this...65 PSI which is the OEM PSI is a hard hitting wheel...of course..once your done trouble shooting...put the PSI back to where it's supposed to be.

Old 03-17-2014, 09:03 AM
FordTruckEnthusaist
Senior User
I've changed tie rods, steering linkage, drag link, pitman arm, adjustable track bar, sway bar bushings, new 2.5" coils with new spring isolator's, shocks are pretty new but I need new ones that are longer to accommodate for the coils but this problem existed long before, new hubs, new 35" tires.

Now for the wobble I'm feeling it's not as much as a wobble but it's just a weird subtle jerk in the steering wheel you can feel in your hand every time you hit a tiny bump. And the clunk is pretty damn loud.

On that note, I know for sure the steering gearbox is bad there's a lot of slop in the steering wheel and the seals are leaking. But I don't see that causing a clunk?

Ball joints are good, can't get any play in tire when jacking the truck up.. Unless I'm doing it wrong idk.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:28 AM
maadman
Senior User
Noise and vibration through the steering column? You have replaced everything except the gearbox which you know is bad. Fixing the gearbox will fix most if not all the problem.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:31 AM
FordTruckEnthusaist
Senior User
The clunk sounds like it's coming from the left side axle though I didn't think a steering box would cause noises.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:50 AM
FordTruckEnthusaist
Senior User
Now just the clunking while driving I can't tell, somewhere up front. Cause I can roll down the passenger window and hear it just as loud as the driver side but the groaning noise coming to a stop and the clunk when stopping I know for sure is coming from the left side knuckle cause I can almost feel the vibration it makes in my feet.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:23 PM
jesse5
Senior User
FRONT OUTER AXLE SHAFT SUPPORT BEARING

FRONT OUTER AXLE SHAFT SUPPORT BEARING maybe worn?

Old 03-17-2014, 02:07 PM
FordTruckEnthusaist
Senior User
I'm not real sure what that is, explain?

Old 03-17-2014, 04:25 PM
jesse5
Senior User
The two most common replacement reasons for 2005-2010 Ford Super Duty outer axle shafts is breakage from u-joint failure and wear from the Axle Support Ball Bearing.

Fretting wear between the Bearing and Axle Shaft is a common problem with these vehicles.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:30 PM
1977cutcher
Senior User
I had a similar problem once with my 2000 F250 4WD. I would hit a bump and it was all I could do to keep it on the road. The tires where in need of replacement at the time so I started with that. After tire replacement accompanied by a front alignment the problem went away. All I could figure was one of the belts in the tire must of been broke.

Old 03-17-2014, 04:44 PM
FordTruckEnthusaist
Senior User
I did a quick search for the outer axle shafts just, and I can't find any replacements for a 2005. They're all 1999-2004.
What's the best way to tell if these need replaced?

And yes, my old tires were in dire need to be replaced they were terrible. I just replaced the tires 3 weeks ago when I did the leveling kit, and yes it took care of a lot of the wobble but the clunk and pop and jerk is still present.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:13 PM
jesse5
Senior User

Quick Reply: '05 4WD death wobble