Sponsored by: Moser

Anyone find a 2wd drilled and slotted rotor for a 1979 F250

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 12:13 PM
mofoco1
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Anyone find a 2wd drilled and slotted rotor for a 1979 F250

I am going to replace the braking system on my 79 F-2502wd Supercab shortbed. I have my eye on a rear disc set-up that comes with drilled and slotted rotors. I would like the same on the front. All my vehicles have them and I have taken for granted that there should be a replacement for the 79 as well. I have yet to find any for the 2wd with dual piston calipers. Has anyone found any, if so please post? Another question for someone versed in multiple year parts of the same model vehicle. They do have the rotors for the 80-85, 2wd pictured below. Does anyone know with certainty the 80-85 parts will work with the dual piston calipers on the 79? If they do, sweet, we have another option on our trucks. Chime in please.

Old 03-16-2014, 02:34 PM
EricJ
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by mofoco1
I am going to replace the braking system on my 79 F-2502wd Supercab shortbed. I have my eye on a rear disc set-up that comes with drilled and slotted rotors. I would like the same on the front. All my vehicles have them and I have taken for granted that there should be a replacement for the 79 as well. I have yet to find any for the 2wd with dual piston calipers. Has anyone found any, if so please post? Another question for someone versed in multiple year parts of the same model vehicle. They do have the rotors for the 80-85, 2wd pictured below. Does anyone know with certainty the 80-85 parts will work with the dual piston calipers on the 79? If they do, sweet, we have another option on our trucks. Chime in please.

Just curious, do you have brake heating issues? Non of my trucks have had problems with brake fade or warped rotors.

Old 03-16-2014, 05:21 PM
mofoco1
Laughing Gas
Eric mine has not even hit the road officially been working on smog and carb. Weds. it is supposed to go to the shop to see where its at on the old smoke meter. I am going to redo all the systems in time, to me always over do the braking system. All my all trucks have 4wdbs and all have slotted rotors. I know there is mixed feelings, but I figure all mine stop on a dime and have had no issues. Whether it was the slotting or drilling, don't really care. Plus they look cool! The rear disc set up I am getting for the F-250 is all bolt up, no welding of brackets( I know they work, I just don't like). It comes with the drilled and slotted in the kit so I figured I would do the front to match. I will probably have to get some go fast racer paint for the calipers too as they will be visible thru the Vector like rims I have for truck. Warping and and cracking is what I experienced with the stock parts as late as my wife 2003 SuperCrew, never found out if the new style rotors would have helped as it was a total loss when my son was broadsided by an 85 yr. old man a couple of years ago. Ironically he was driving another Supercrew but a few years newer, it to was a total loss as well.

Old 03-18-2014, 02:33 PM
mofoco1
Laughing Gas
I thought thus would be of interest to others. Anyone ever used 1980 E-250 rotors on the 1979 or older trucks? Numbers came up the same at O'rielly.

Old 03-18-2014, 05:15 PM
5851a
Logistics Pro
Received 733 Likes on 581 Posts
I used a dentside Econoline on my 78, just went to the boneyard and pulled it off and swapped onto mine. Don't know for sure but would guess Econolines stayed the same till the next generation, 89 maybe.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:08 PM
kwe45919
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Should be easy to find on Google or FleaBay...

.......now that I've looked around.....there aren't any on Ebay. Figured someone would have them there....guess not.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:37 PM
mofoco1
Laughing Gas
I found some for the 80 Eco250 and a few of the vendors have assured me that they will work. Hope so, gonna order them next week. tomorrow my taller coils are supposed come in so those are going on first. will let everyone know.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:21 AM
mofoco1
Laughing Gas
Update on the rotors I was looking for. FOUND!! DONE!!

I will make it short. The 80+ rotors I was sent do not work, They match up in most dimensions, but you will not be able to mount as the bearing location is way off and even my machinist which I took them to to see if he could fix said both inner and out bearing on that rotor have no way of relocation. I called the vendor and after hashing it out and he apologizing, he made it good. Apparently he said he buys the blanks and then machines them, so in short, he sent the new rotors out and they fit and work awesome. Here's a few pics. Now realize that I have looked high and low and he is the ONLY one anywhere with these as he made them for me. I have talked him into making more if we can get enough people to commit to and we can set up a mass buy. I will post in the appropriate forum, but I figured anyone that had interest would have probably seen this posting. Hoping he will keep them at around $150 for the pair. I am also going o do a rear disc conversion on my D60 and will have him supply the rotors to match , so again if there is interest we can put something together.

I also did a partial dust shield delete. I do not like the shields and besides them were hiding these beauties.

This is how I modified the shields, cutoff tool works wonders and a flap wheel. The shield has a built-in grease dirt guard at the spindle mounting face that should be kept, so I pulled the one finished side and whacked the rest off painted and installed. this is what you do if you are inclined.

Let me know if you are interested in a set I will get a count and formally start a mass buy in the appropriate forum.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:44 PM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Im curious, wouldnt it be easier to drill and slot rotors, rather than machine the inside?
I guess if you have the specs and tooling, either way is pretty simple

Old 05-12-2014, 07:55 PM
AK FORD GUY
Posting Guru
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Jklnhyd
Im curious, wouldnt it be easier to drill and slot rotors, rather than machine the inside?
I guess if you have the specs and tooling, either way is pretty simple
By blanks, I think he means just standard rotors and then he machines the holes and grooves. Just a guess though.

I think he does precisely what you are thinking would be the easiest.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:30 PM
mofoco1
Laughing Gas
Most machine shops will not retouch someone elses products as far as my area is concern they wont. You have to have a special CNC program to get the drilling /chamfering and the curved slotting where it needs to be. I guess someone with a whole lot of time could figure it out and have it come out symmetrical/ function properly. There is liability issues anytime you are making parts like this. The drilling has to be precise so it doesn't mess with the vent vanes or the structure can be compromised. Brakes are something I really research as my kids will be in or drive these, I always splurge in this area. This vendor has a large operation in Northern California and is reputable. The blanks are the rotors with the correct bearing offsets and diameter and rotor thickness as well as bolt pattern for whatever vehicle they are intended for. The fact that no other vendor has these, is because there was probably not a demand for them in the 2wd version. The fact he is willing to even make them is a miracle, I just thought I would pass this info to see if anyone else wanted some, I know i am getting some more as I have was stopped at the Ford dealership today on the way back form the alignment shop and the salvage yard. I was offered $8000 on the spot for my truck, by a motorsport shop owner. Of course I turned him down, irregardless of the fact I only have about $2800 into the truck. He gave me his card if I changed my mind or if I found him one. Well I did find another and I may just built a copy of this and flip it on Ebay. Seems that they are becoming very popular and prices seem to be going up. Funny that the rear D60drilled and slotted are available( since the 4x4 uses the same axle as the 2x.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:47 PM
Jklnhyd
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My question was inquisitive, not challenging or anything, lol. Obviously i am not the smartest here, as i just proved in my earlier post.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:08 PM
mofoco1
Laughing Gas
  1. Sorry if it came out that way, just trying to make it clear to all, that this is for me a safety issue so I will not cut corners. If machining can be done by someone competently, more power to them. I know my limitations( I have many believe me) I fabricate a lot but, someday I may have the $$ to get me a CNC and take the schooling necessary to run and make my dream part( this is my plan for retirement ). Again a combative tone was not my intent, sorry I just come across as an ******* sometime, ask my wife : ) I appreciate this and all the other forums that I have used for their info, and I am by far one of the least school persons here I am sure when it comes to these vehicles.sad to say I had passed these years up as I am an Early bronco guy and my only previous dealing with the gen. 6 was our 75 that awe use as a trash hauler. Till I saw a 79 SC shortbed and followed them several times till I was able to talk to the owner and decided I liked the bodystyle very much. All I had seen prior were reg cab, crew cabs and longbeds never a shortbed SC. So it has become my DD. Although it will look like 1979 from what you see, it will be upgraded in all the safety areas, brakes , hoses, etc. I thank this forum for allowing me to be here. There is also never a stupid ? in my eyes.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:02 AM
hermancm
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd think having disc brakes front and back would suffice for most so finding high performance slotted discs would be hard to be had i'm sure! If your hauling weight keep more distance from the others to allow you to stop. But yeah, they do look cool.

Old 05-17-2014, 09:35 AM
teds74ford
Logistics Pro
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
So, how do they perform compared to the stock rotors?

I have new brakes and F350 booster and MC. Just curious if this would be a noticeable upgrade or not.

Quick Reply: Anyone find a 2wd drilled and slotted rotor for a 1979 F250