6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

EGR question

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2014, 09:40 AM
WyoBlueF3
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EGR question

Hi everybody...I am a new member on the forum but have been reading. and following it alot. I have a 2010 f350. Recently I got the Banks IQ with Automind programmer..On the IQ one of the gauges available shows the EGR percent open...in the couple weeks since I got the IQ, the egr has been open only once that I have seen on the gauge....Question is...how often do these things open ? is that normal what I am seeing ? Thanks for all your help

Old 03-16-2014, 12:53 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,413 Likes on 1,008 Posts
Most likely the programmer is limiting the EGR input to help with your mileage.

Old 03-16-2014, 06:55 PM
WyoBlueF3
Junior User
thanks for the response Senix...Today I had a dpf clean take place and the egr never opened, according to the IQ anyway. The only time I have seen it indicate to be open was prior to doing any programming and I was drivin down a busy city street. I didn,t see the dpf regen info show up. but I think it did go active. Just seems odd that it wouldn't open in all this time/driving...Why bother deleting it if it rarely opens or could there be an underlying problem developing?

Old 03-16-2014, 06:58 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Egr failures on the 6.4 are extremely far and few in between, honestly I don't recall ever hearing about a cooler failure and I visit multiple forums. I have seen a few valve failures but event hose are rare.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:22 PM
GSchretter
Senior User
Originally Posted by WyoBlueF3
thanks for the response Senix...Today I had a dpf clean take place and the egr never opened, according to the IQ anyway. The only time I have seen it indicate to be open was prior to doing any programming and I was drivin down a busy city street. I didn,t see the dpf regen info show up. but I think it did go active. Just seems odd that it wouldn't open in all this time/driving...Why bother deleting it if it rarely opens or could there be an underlying problem developing?
EGR stays close no matter what during regens.

When the truck warms up and idling that sucker really opens up

Old 03-16-2014, 08:25 PM
WyoBlueF3
Junior User
could the valve be stuck closed? what other problems could arise if it is stuck closed? wouldn't that throw a check engine code?
I'm thinking it's more likely to be the IQ than the EGR or EGR valve....how often is normal for them to open and have coolant and exhaust gas run through? Sorry for what sounds like rambling...just thinkin out loud so to say and trying to figgure out these things.

Old 03-16-2014, 08:40 PM
WyoBlueF3
Junior User
thanks GSchretter...You posted while I was busy typing and dealing with little kids at bed time.. If that's the case then the Banks IQ isn't reading things right. Is that the kind of 'roaring sound' I sometimes hear as it shuts down? can really hear it in garage just after turnin key off. it sound like its up under hood cowl on driver side.

Old 03-17-2014, 05:27 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,413 Likes on 1,008 Posts
If the EGR was stuck you would have a very rough running motor with a code for the EGR.

EGR is closed during the regen.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:59 AM
Dadof4
New User
When my egr went bad at 76,xxx miles it threw check engine light and code came up forget what exact number but had it read at autozone.

Old 03-23-2014, 12:52 AM
aquaman
Posting Guru
I notice EGR isn't used much when the weather is cold. It will cycle open up to 30-50% during idle. On warmer days, it will open partially whenever accelerating or under heavy load. It doesn't open much while cruising though. It is completely shut during regens.

Old 03-23-2014, 10:10 PM
WyoBlueF3
Junior User
the one time I noticed the EGR gauge on the IQ register anything besides zero percent open was cruising down a main street in town after having driven about 50 miles of hiway...that was with no tuning, running completely stock. ambient temp was in 40's. I have a tech question submited to Banks about it..We,ll see what they say about if the Automind program shuts it off or if the IQ perhaps is not reading correctly.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:08 AM
dynarider33
Freshman User
WyoBlue, don't mean to hijack your thread but I recently bought an 08 6.4 and I am looking at the Banks IQ automind as well. In your opinion was it worth it and did it improve your fuel economy 20% as advertised?
Mike

Old 04-03-2014, 08:26 PM
WyoBlueF3
Junior User
. In your opinion was it worth it and did it improve your fuel economy 20% as advertised? Mike

Hi Mike,
I am on my way back to Wyoming after hauling a 24' stocktrailer full of a friends stuff down to south Texas....I used the tow haul mode and got about 8 10 mpg most the way...The IQ was real handy in that I could monitor a whole slew of things at once and toggle easily to others...Most importantly, I could keep a close Eye on EGT and back off throttle a bit while climbing things like Raton Pass...I also had it set so I could see when the dpf was in regen and control egt during that. The automind on tow mode programmed the transmission to down shift nicely and used little breaking going down Raton pass and slowed me down as I rolled into little texas towns....Overall the IQ was quite valuable...I cant say for sure If the Automind really helped as I have not hauled that weight before with or without it...have hauled only our 6k pnd camper with no automind...truck is definately made to haul some weight though.!

Old 04-04-2014, 10:11 PM
WyoBlueF3
Junior User
once I got away from nasty headwind and used up the 5% biodiesel I was stuck buyin and filled with good diesel fuel, I went from 13.6 on lie o meter to 16.8. the 20 mph head wind was bad...dpf regen did not go active whole way back till 15 Miles from home. EGR valve did not open as far as I could tell... I think the Banks programmer is shutting of the EGR valve so it does not open...Sport setting is amazing. the torque available climbing Raton pass empty was amazing...just a little throttle goin up that hill at 70 and zoom, shoot up past 75 like slingshot with no downshift. turbo boost went up to bout 38psi. rpm went from 2100 to bout 2500 or so. in that regard, to answer the previous question, I'd say the Automind was worth the few hundred it cost.

Old 04-11-2014, 10:50 AM
dynarider33
Freshman User
Thanks, I reset the lie-o-meter in mine when I bought it. It was at 10.7, I am showing 17.2 now after a little more than 1000 miles. But filling up around every 200-250 miles I am getting an average of 15.39 mpgs using the time tested mathematical formula. I did install a Banks CAI which propbably helps a little plus I try to keep the boost needle <10 psi. If I can pull the extra 20% fuel milage Banks advertises from the automind that will put me in the 18.5 area.

Quick Reply: EGR question