6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Lower Door Seal Mod?

Old 03-12-2014, 03:11 PM
jlalanas
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lower Door Seal Mod?

I've done a little searching here and other forums, wanted to know if anyone has attempted to modify the lower door seal to minimize water/mud/road salt/etc from blowing up past the seal. It's been a rough winter here in the Northeast and noticed a significant amount getting past that seal AND past the inner door seal.

I have done the EPIC door seal mod and was thinking of doing something similar, although the lower seal is "L" shaped and doesn't have a cavity to slide a tube through. My thought was to adhere some type of tubular hose/foam to the bottom of that seal that would give it more rigidity and exert some pressure on the seal tot he side of the truck.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Old 03-12-2014, 04:01 PM
720Deere
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That seal has always been a joke! I haven't been around a Superduty yet that didn't get the rocker panels filthy when you drive through a puddle. What makes it worse is you have to open the door to even hose that area off.

If somebody comes up with a better seal, I would suggest getting a patent on it and market that sucker!

Old 03-12-2014, 05:13 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yup,part of washing my truck includes opening the doors fully to get all the sand and muck out.Pita!

Old 03-12-2014, 09:00 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 489 Likes on 165 Posts
I took mine off so not too hold the crap in/against the door to hopefully hold off the cancer as long as possible......

Old 03-12-2014, 09:21 PM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Chad149
I took mine off so not too hold the crap in/against the door to hopefully hold off the cancer as long as possible......
Does the crap end up further up the door?Just wondering cuz if not I may do the same.Winter sand and salt is always jammed in mine.

Old 03-12-2014, 09:45 PM
Chad149
Lead Driver
Received 489 Likes on 165 Posts
Originally Posted by rtazz17
Does the crap end up further up the door?Just wondering cuz if not I may do the same.Winter sand and salt is always jammed in mine.
Not that I can tell. But I didn't leave them on very long, I was used to it from my last Super Duty.....

Old 03-12-2014, 09:59 PM
jstnromero
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I feel your pain. I have not yet figured out how to modify the area. I drive off road a lot and the area is always dirty (see sig for proof). If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears.

When at the local wash, I do end up spraying the area off, but it leaves little specs of mud on the inside of the truck from the splashback if I am not careful! Very frustrating.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:25 AM
riden82
Senior User
Agreed pita, I half to go about 2 miles on gravel dirt roads to get to the gravel road that leads to my house, that being said my truck is never clean during the snow melting and the rain this time of the year. I get so much crap in my doors I half to clean it out once a week. The weather tech mud flaps helped a good bit but not enough. It's a little on the expensive side but I'm looking at the DeeZee NXT running boards. That along with my weather tech mud flaps should/hopefully work well.

Old 03-13-2014, 08:20 AM
rtazz17
Fleet Mechanic

Originally Posted by riden82
Agreed pita, I half to go about 2 miles on gravel dirt roads to get to the gravel road that leads to my house, that being said my truck is never clean during the snow melting and the rain this time of the year. I get so much crap in my doors I half to clean it out once a week. The weather tech mud flaps helped a good bit but not enough. It's a little on the expensive side but I'm looking at the DeeZee NXT running boards. That along with my weather tech mud flaps should/hopefully work well.
I dont know what the nxt boards look like but on my 02 superduty I had the flat running boards that ran right up to the rocker panel and I still had just as much crap in the door as my new superduty with the tubular running boards.You would think not but somehow the laws of physics still jams it inside the door.

But if this is all I have to complain about I'm happy

Old 03-13-2014, 09:02 AM
jlalanas
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad I'm not the only one with this issue! Thanks for all the feedback. I'm looking at a couple options....the surgical tube approach with somehow adhering the tubing onto the stock seal. I'm also looking for some generic auto weather stripping that already has an adhesive strip that I can affix to the stock seal. If anyone has seen something that they think might work, pass it on and I'll give it a go!

Old 03-13-2014, 11:52 AM
riden82
Senior User
Originally Posted by rtazz17
I dont know what the nxt boards look like but on my 02 superduty I had the flat running boards that ran right up to the rocker panel and I still had just as much crap in the door as my new superduty with the tubular running boards.You would think not but somehow the laws of physics still jams it inside the door. But if this is all I have to complain about I'm happy
Way to rain on my parade. Yea the NXT is very similar to the OEM flat running boards. Well I guess I'll explore cheaper options first. Yes if that is the only to complain about I am happy as well, but that road crap in the door really is irritating.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:05 PM
SavageNFS
Hotshot
Received 6,957 Likes on 2,186 Posts
I have the solution! Have two boys...tell them to wash it
This has been a problem forever and a day.

Old 03-13-2014, 02:38 PM
EpicCowlick
Post Fiend
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts
That lower door "seal" is not intended to be a seal. It's called a splash guard and it does keep major stuff from getting past it. I once tried to think of a way to improve it with a large rubber hose but never pursued it.

Old 03-13-2014, 04:08 PM
riden82
Senior User
Not just the super duties, my wife's 07 explorer same thing, not nearly as bad as my truck but still. I had also given the thought of having some of that lower part sprayed with bed liner. My 99 f150 rusted really bad on the inside door. That's why I hose that stuff out so often.

Old 06-18-2014, 01:26 PM
-brent
Cross-Country
my '13 SD 250 has the same issue. My '06 F150 and '01 F150 never had dirt inside. Looks like we have sun coming our way in a few days, will try to work on something for it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lower Door Seal Mod?