1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Trans cooler

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 07:47 AM
tennhillbilly
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans cooler

Frist ,I am new to this forum. My son has a 1997 F350 XL with 7.3 diesel. He has been doing some heavy towing recently and decided he might need some extra transmission cooling. It has the e40d tranmission . We installed a larger Hayden cooler in series with the radiator and orgional 2 tube cooler . After installing the new cooler we drove it about 10 miles and it does not seem that we have any circulation through the coolers, they are not even warm to the touch. the transmission pan is warm. I disconnected the hose going in the new cooler and it is pumping fluid to this point. My next step will be disconnect the return at the trans. to see if we have flow there. I guess my question is, Is there some type of theromstat that is built in to restrict flow untill Trans temp is up? If so where is it located? This model does not have a trans. temp. guage on it. We have a trans temp. guage ordered to install on it.
Sorry if this is too long of a 1st post, but I will appreciate any advice anyon will give. Thanks

Old 03-06-2014, 08:03 AM
1994F2507.3L
Cargo Master
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
If your getting flow into the new cooler check the flow on the outlet, if your getting no flow out I would say you got a problem with the new cooler, I haven't heard of them having a thermostat in them but that don't mean they don't, also I wouldn't worry about post length, I'm new to this section of Ford truck enthusiast but I'm not new to the forums here, I spent alot of time in the idi section and we like the longer post with all the information rather than trying to guess at stuff.

Old 03-06-2014, 08:22 AM
MOOSE_MACHINE
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Check your return line. Was the engine temp up or was it cold on the test drive. Don't forget the if the oil passes through the rad full of cold water with a warm trans that's probably enough to cool the oil right down before it gets to the other coolers. Don't worry about post length, it's nice to get the info without asking. Welcome to fte

Old 03-06-2014, 08:22 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Welcome to FTE! The true cool coolers have a thermostat but it isn't part of the cooler itself. It separate and attaches in the line. Mine never worked right so I don't use it. It takes a long time for the trans to heat up. The gauge is a good idea.

Old 03-06-2014, 09:54 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,576 Likes on 1,054 Posts
The E4OD does NOT have a thermostat.

I think your problem is too much restriction. That will reduce or stop the flow to the coolers. The cooler circuit CANNOT support three coolers. That will cool LESS than two coolers.

The correct way to do this is to remove the stock air to oil cooler and throw it in the trash. The front line from the trans should go to the radiator cooler, then to the new cooler, then back to the rear of the trans.

If this still doesn't cool it, throw away the new cooler you bought and get a cooler from a 6.0L truck. That will cool it.

Old 03-06-2014, 10:08 AM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

so your dual aux coolers may be causing too much restriction.in this case,your '97's (if equipped,as it does same "some") external bypass may be bypassing and causing the fluid to simply return to the pan.

you should.
1.start with installing a trans temp gauge w/ sensor @ the test port.if your seeing 150-(175 perfect)-200F here,then your good to go.
2.use just the one larger aux cooler if your running too high,to see if this causes the external bypass to flow through the coolers.
3.making sure the fluid does flow out to the return/rear of trans is a good plan just the same.

i dunno what im doing in this section again i don't even belong here lmao.im just keeping my eye on the F-450 4wd convert thread.figured id pop in anywho.

edit,oh was beat by Mark anyway lol. well there's some pics for ya attached too to help ya see what it is,so you can see if your '97 does sport one.
my trans rebuilder fitting mine with the 4r100's during a reman.it's a handy upgrade anyone can do with a 89-97 e4 too. just added info.
i know Mark,you prefer the large 6.0 coolers.i sport this setup on both my trucks.works super;
Tru-Cool Max LPD4739 4739 40, 000 GVW Low Pressure Drop Transmission Oil Cooler with Thermal Bypass : Amazon.com : Automotive Tru-Cool Max LPD4739 4739 40, 000 GVW Low Pressure Drop Transmission Oil Cooler with Thermal Bypass : Amazon.com : Automotive

Old 03-06-2014, 11:19 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

I installed the 6.0 trans cooler inbetween the ac condenser and radiator and this caused to much heat to the radiator. So, I pulled it out and installed it behind the bumper but it hangs down making me nervous it will get hit even though I put a screen in front of it. Works great though!

Old 03-07-2014, 04:47 AM
tennhillbilly
New User
Thanks to all who posted. You guys are great,all good information. My son's 97 does not have the cooler bypass like the one posted by Ford F250HDXLT. I am going to remove the origional cooler as advised by a couple of posters and see if this improves the flow, also, the temp. guage I ordered is supposed to be delivered today. I hope to get it installed and see what the temp. really is. Thanks again for the information, will post the results later.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:55 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
When you changed the filter did you get the old filter seal out ?

Old 03-07-2014, 09:07 AM
tennhillbilly
New User
Originally Posted by fordpride
I was not personaly involed in the fluid & filter change, my son had it changed and replaced with the synthetic fluid.

Old 03-07-2014, 10:55 AM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Originally Posted by fordpride
Been there, done that!

Old 03-10-2014, 06:24 PM
tennhillbilly
New User
transmission cooler

An update on the transmission cooler and temp guage install . Took Marks's advice and removed the factory air to oil cooler and installed a temp guage from Glow Shift guages. Took it for a test drive on the interstate at 65 to 70 mph for about 12 miles, just the empty truck . Trans temp got to about 150 degrees and stayed there untill I got off interstate and it went up to about 155 deg. after I slowed down for the 2 mile trip back home. Now for the bad news , after I got back I craweled under the truck to see if I had any leaks. No trans. fluid leaks but anti freeze was dripping out of the weep hole in bell housing. This sounds bad to me I am guessing maybe core plug? I am not familliar with the diesel engines. Appreciate any info you guys can give on this new problem. Thanks

Old 03-10-2014, 06:37 PM
FORDF250HDXLT
Post Fiend
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
you want to keep the oem water to oil cooler.when i posted to use just one aux cooler,i meant just one aux rather than the two.
so hook the radiator back into the loop.but only use one (use the largest) of your aux coolers.like this-
front line out of trans - into radiator-out of rad- into largest of the aux coolers- out of aux cooler and return back to rear of trans.
(remove the smallest aux cooler,or simply leave out of the loop.-this was the issue.)
this way here,the trans will run cool even in heavy traffic/long idle/off road use.
the way you have it now,requires constant air flow.if you don't get that,then you can cook her if not careful.

the main point was,don't to use two aux coolers,as this was likely the reason for the trans to run too warm,due to,too much restriction in the line.
trans temps are bit cool,but it was only a 12 mile run and in the winter.iv got a 180 t-stat so my temps run up closer to 170-180 all the time once it warms up.

Old 03-11-2014, 06:32 AM
tennhillbilly
New User
trans cooler

Originally Posted by FORDF250HDXLT
you want to keep the oem water to oil cooler.when i posted to use just one aux cooler,i meant just one aux rather than the two.
so hook the radiator back into the loop.but only use one (use the largest) of your aux coolers.like this-
front line out of trans - into radiator-out of rad- into largest of the aux coolers- out of aux cooler and return back to rear of trans.
(remove the smallest aux cooler,or simply leave out of the loop.-this was the issue.)
this way here,the trans will run cool even in heavy traffic/long idle/off road use.
the way you have it now,requires constant air flow.if you don't get that,then you can cook her if not careful.

the main point was,don't to use two aux coolers,as this was likely the reason for the trans to run too warm,due to,too much restriction in the line.
trans temps are bit cool,but it was only a 12 mile run and in the winter.iv got a 180 t-stat so my temps run up closer to 170-180 all the time once it warms up.
Yes , This is what I did. I at first had it go in radiator ,factory cooler, new cooler then back to trans. I took origonal small factory cooler out of loop. Now it goes to radiator, new cooler- back to trans. Any thoughts about the new problem (antifreeze dripping from weep hole in bell housing? Thanks

Old 03-11-2014, 07:14 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Are your sure its antifreeze and not diesel ?

Quick Reply: Trans cooler