1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Power Steering Bracket Larger Picture

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 10:58 PM
fabieber
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering Bracket Larger Picture

First post had a picture size that I couldn't even make out - hope this helps.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:19 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 543 Likes on 349 Posts
Much better! I couldn't see anything on your first post. Really looks like it will do the job and the price is Right

Old 03-02-2014, 07:51 PM
fabieber
Senior User
Originally Posted by bjmayberry2
Much better! I couldn't see anything on your first post. Really looks like it will do the job and the price is Right
As all of you veterans have talked about, "price is right" becomes very important and I find myself thinking that I want things to look good but I doubt anybody will approach me and want to look at my power steering pump brackets. If they do, I hope they won't mind my less than factory appearance.

Fred

Old 03-02-2014, 07:57 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,843 Likes on 1,842 Posts
Nicely done
I'm all about "price is right" as I don't have much extra cash to toss at my truck. Besides, there is a certain satisfaction from doing it yourself.

Good job
Bobby

Old 03-02-2014, 08:56 PM
fabieber
Senior User
Thank you Bobby. I am compelled to post pics again when the engine is ready to go back in because the finished product on the brackets really turned out better than the rough cut ones shown.

I had never manufactured anything from metal and it was quite satisfying to have done it.

Now I am going to go to work on patch panels for the rear fenders where the running board attaches. I figure that my work will be hidden when the boards are back on so I won't have to be too finicky.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:08 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
IMHO when you make the final version I think you will need to make it out of much more substantial material (Note the material used for typical generator or alternator brackets.) when the wheels are turned to the maximum the pump is putting out it's maximum pressure and will put a lot of strain on the belt torquing the pump. This in turn will cause the belt to slip or jump the pulleys. Sometimes manufacturers will use stamped 1/4" brackets but will stamp in stiffening ribs and/or turned edges.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:41 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Welding on a piece of 1/2"-wide strap to create a flange on the brackets would stiffen it up nicely.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:51 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Welding on a piece of 1/2"-wide strap to create a flange on the brackets would stiffen it up nicely.
1/4 or 3/8 " square welded on top the edge would do the same as long as done carefully so as not to warp the bracket, but in conversations with the OP I didn't get the feeling he has welding equipment (note his statement that this was his first attempt at metal fabrication). Thicker material doesn't require welding, and a trip to the scrap yard can yield a bucketful of used bracketry to adapt and/or modify for next to nothing.

Old 03-03-2014, 11:00 PM
fabieber
Senior User
Originally Posted by AXracer
1/4 or 3/8 " square welded on top the edge would do the same as long as done carefully so as not to warp the bracket, but in conversations with the OP I didn't get the feeling he has welding equipment (note his statement that this was his first attempt at metal fabrication). Thicker material doesn't require welding, and a trip to the scrap yard can yield a bucketful of used bracketry to adapt and/or modify for next to nothing.
Ross and Ax -

When I tightened all bolts on the engine and where brackets connect to pump I could barely get any flex on the brackets with full arm strength. I do have a welder and could weld some strengthening brackets but don't quite understand where they should go.

Thanks for you interest guys....it is really helpful.

Fred

Old 03-04-2014, 08:53 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
If you could get ANY flex by hand, the bracket will flex and possibly throw the belt in use, the belt will put a lot more force on it than you can by hand. What you want to do with stiffeners is to weld the stiffeners along the edge of the bracket to form it into a C channel or angle iron shape, either/and add finger like ribs to resist the bending force direction.

Old 03-04-2014, 10:35 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
examples of added stiffening ribs:

be sure to check for and straighten any warpage after welding.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:57 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Another option would be to run a short brace from the bottom rear of the pump back to the engine block. A lot of factory type bracket set-ups utilize the rear lower bracketry.

Or...you might not need it at all, every situation is a bit different, only time will tell
Bobby

Old 03-04-2014, 10:59 PM
fabieber
Senior User
Thanks again AX and Bobby. On the larger picture there is a straight bracket that runs from the side of the pump to a bolt at the bottom of the engine under the fan. Before I added that there was definitely movement on the brackets...now not.
But, AX, I see where the strengthening of the brackets would be added help and I believe I can do that welding. I will check for warping when I am done.

Fred

Old 03-05-2014, 05:03 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Excellent,

A little welding, a little paint, and you're good to go.

On a side note....I was reminded that its time to replace my welding gloves. I did a bit of welding on my steering column brackets recently. Then (like everyone does after welding on something) I reached down to pick it up to have a look. Well, I got an instant reminder about the worn out spot on the index finger of the left hand glove. It sure didn't take me long to look at my weld.....

Bobby

Old 03-06-2014, 09:01 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Excellent,

A little welding, a little paint, and you're good to go.

On a side note....I was reminded that its time to replace my welding gloves. I did a bit of welding on my steering column brackets recently. Then (like everyone does after welding on something) I reached down to pick it up to have a look. Well, I got an instant reminder about the worn out spot on the index finger of the left hand glove. It sure didn't take me long to look at my weld.....

Bobby
Was it on the other side of the room or on the floor at that point in the examination?