6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

6.0 blue smoke

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 09:39 AM
ANigrelli132
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6.0 blue smoke

hey guys hope all is well with everyone. well my 04 6.0 is doing some weird s*** bout 23 32 degres out today and the past week and i noticed that at idle with part throttle i would get a light ble smoke blowing out the tail and also on launches like red lights and stop signs. i thought maybe it might be the egr valve as i have not done the delete yet so i took it out and cleaned it nice and good but noticed one of the o rings have a small tear in it and didnt get the new o rings yet for it cause idk wether im going to do a full delete or a dummy egr valve. but after cleaning it it seemed to get a little bit better. but my question is am i looking at the right place would a fault in the egr system create light blue smoke?

Old 02-26-2014, 12:22 PM
diggintrenches
Senior User
mine does this exact same thing. my problem is my turbo. There is oil leaking into the hot side (exhaust) of my turbo and causing it Smoke at stop signs and red lights just as you have described, but clears right after. I'm not saying that is what your problem is because I'm certainly not one of the techs on here, but it is something to look into. Mine is to the point that when I cut the truck off (after the required idle time to let the turbo spool down) you can hear my turbo making noised it shouldn't. My cold side of the turbo is nice and clean, and tight as well.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:29 PM
ANigrelli132
Junior User
Originally Posted by diggintrenches
mine does this exact same thing. my problem is my turbo. There is oil leaking into the hot side (exhaust) of my turbo and causing it Smoke at stop signs and red lights just as you have described, but clears right after. I'm not saying that is what your problem is because I'm certainly not one of the techs on here, but it is something to look into. Mine is to the point that when I cut the truck off (after the required idle time to let the turbo spool down) you can hear my turbo making noised it shouldn't. My cold side of the turbo is nice and clean, and tight as well.
i hope its not that because i just rebuilt the turbo last week brand new seals and bearing and journals so i doubt its not but then again i hope its not that.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:39 PM
diggintrenches
Senior User
How soon after the rebuild did it start puffing smoke out?

Old 02-26-2014, 01:48 PM
jimmyv13
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Doesn't sounds like it's coolant related as that's tyoically whitish smoke. Blue/black smoke is oil/fuel related.

Mine used to blow bluish smoke leaving from stops and it didn't clear up until I swapped out the faulty injector. If you want to know if your turbo is puking oil, pull the downpipe and check for a swirl design down the pipe....that indicates oil getting past the seals.

Example of the swirl in the downpipe:

Old 02-26-2014, 02:54 PM
ANigrelli132
Junior User
How soon after the rebuild did it start puffing smoke out?
started a few days ago i did the rebuild just about 2 weeks ago maybe less. and its definitly not black smoke its more white then blue its hard to tell but ive noticed the past week before i noticed the smoke ive been loosing coolant like yesterday i had a good amount of coolant but today my degas botle is almost empty

Old 02-26-2014, 02:58 PM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by ANigrelli132
started a few days ago i did the rebuild just about 2 weeks ago maybe less. and its definitly not black smoke its more white then blue its hard to tell but ive noticed the past week before i noticed the smoke ive been loosing coolant like yesterday i had a good amount of coolant but today my degas botle is almost empty
Egr cooler??? Check egr valve for wetness

Old 02-26-2014, 02:59 PM
ANigrelli132
Junior User
Originally Posted by jimmyv13
Doesn't sounds like it's coolant related as that's tyoically whitish smoke. Blue/black smoke is oil/fuel related.

Mine used to blow bluish smoke leaving from stops and it didn't clear up until I swapped out the faulty injector. If you want to know if your turbo is puking oil, pull the downpipe and check for a swirl design down the pipe....that indicates oil getting past the seals.

Example of the swirl in the downpipe:

its hard to tell its almost blueish but its definitely not black and its definitely white though and as i said in earlier post i am definitely losing coolant somewhere but not seeing a leak like a nice drip coming from underneath and shes been riding a little rough today almost like she is breathing differently
let me take a video perhaps and maybe you'll see what im talking about

Old 02-26-2014, 03:02 PM
ANigrelli132
Junior User
Originally Posted by 9228.bobcat
Egr cooler??? Check egr valve for wetness
pulled the valve yesterday its was discusting black, cleaned and put back in seemed to help a bit but now seems like its getting worse the top most o rign had a tear in it didnt change t yet cause im most likely going to do a delete soon

Old 02-26-2014, 03:03 PM
9228.bobcat
Cargo Master
Egr cooler has blown I bet. Getting coolant in your intake mixing with carbon build up in the intake and burning it causing blueish white smoke. Smell the smoke, smell sweet??

Old 02-26-2014, 03:05 PM
ANigrelli132
Junior User
Originally Posted by 9228.bobcat
Egr cooler has blown I bet. Getting coolant in your intake mixing with carbon build up in the intake and burning it causing blueish white smoke. Smell the smoke, smell sweet??
YES!! smell definitely fruity and almost like i smell when i get out of a structure fire disgusting sweaty.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:17 PM
diggintrenches
Senior User
I'm also getting oil outside of my down pipe where the pipe and turbo meet. Obviously the clamp is probably bad as well. I will be deleting my egr when I have the turbo off this weekend to replace it. There is a shop down the street from me that can clear the check engine light. Hope your troubles aren't too costly for ya.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:27 PM
ANigrelli132
Junior User
I'm also getting oil outside of my down pipe where the pipe and turbo meet. Obviously the clamp is probably bad as well. I will be deleting my egr when I have the turbo off this weekend to replace it. There is a shop down the street from me that can clear the check engine light. Hope your troubles aren't too costly for ya.
dont think it will be costly, i hope, just time consuming as i do all the work to my truck my self, cause i don't trust shops as i always have bad experience with them and plus makes me feel accomplished and knowing that i did the job that i needed to get done not something different lol

Old 02-26-2014, 03:31 PM
diggintrenches
Senior User
let us know how it turns out for ya.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:47 PM
ANigrelli132
Junior User
yup definitely will might do a custom remote oil cooler while I'm in their. good luck to you too my friend

Quick Reply: 6.0 blue smoke