Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

steering adjustment- need help

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2002, 08:19 PM
spoon059
Cross-Country
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 29-May-02 AT 09:20 PM (EST)]Somebody mentioned to me that I can tighten up my power steering in my 95 f-150 by making an adjustment on the power steering box. There is a nut that I need to loosen, and then a straight blade screwdriver adjustment to the bolt. Does anyone have a clue what I'm talking about? If so, how much to loosen/tighten, and does it really work? My steering wheel has a little bit of play to it before it actually turns, not too much. I just wanted to tighten it up a little so the steering is a little more sensitive.

Old 05-30-2002, 06:36 AM
RADIO
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 1996 F150 4x4 ext. cab. with 160,000 miles on it.
It is in great shape, but There was always play in the steering wheel.
I liked the steering on the minivan I have. nice and tight.
I read the haynes book and the chiltons manual.
I read about the adjusting screw on the steering box.
There is a adjusting screw and a lock nut that holds the screw in position.
What I did was -- loosen the lock nut a little. This allowed me to turn the adjusting screw 1/8 turn clockwise. Then I tightened the lock nut back down.
The lock nut is about a 5/8" wrench size.
The adjusting screw is about a 1/8" allen head screw in the middle of the lock nut.
This job took about 5 minutes, and the steering is nice.....
Best wishes,
Gene

Old 05-30-2002, 11:37 AM
winfordr
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The procedure for adjusting the steering box is most often with the wheels lifted and under no tension. This is a real pain, so most of the time when I make this adjustment, I do it a little at a time, test drive, then compensate, etc. The main caution is don't get it too tight. This is particularly important with manual steering. The symptom is a "sticking" in the straight-ahead position.

I always lift one side at a time and grab the tire with both hands to feel any loose play in the steering mechanism (not the box) before making any adjustments. I have had new inner tie-rods have loose play. Sometimes I even get a helper to move the steering wheel through the loose play point while I feel each moving compontent in the steering system. It is much easier to feel the loose play than see it.

Good Luck.

Winford

Old 05-30-2002, 01:56 PM
seebeew
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts