6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Another aftermarket thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 07:11 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts
I think my first question would be do we know that it was installed correctly? 9 out of 10 times the issues we see is an installation/installer issue. We use OEM exclusively for a reason.

Motorcraft 6.0L Injector O-rings 03-07 - Riffraff Diesel Performance

Alliant 6.0L Injector O-ring Set - Riffraff Diesel Performance

Old 02-13-2014, 08:02 PM
Rusty Axlerod
Lead Driver
Received 136 Likes on 80 Posts
Materials look much closer on the pics from your site Clay. The pics I posted links to were the top of the list on Google, I shouldn't have forgotten RiffRaff.

No reviews on the Ford set and one positive review on the Alliant set, any "insider" info you could share on materials or returns on these two items? I know these are small parts but it's a good bit of work to get to them.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:19 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod
Materials look much closer on the pics from your site Clay. The pics I posted links to were the top of the list on Google, I shouldn't have forgotten RiffRaff.

No reviews on the Ford set and one positive review on the Alliant set, any "insider" info you could share on materials or returns on these two items? I know these are small parts but it's a good bit of work to get to them.
Reviews are just something we started about 6 weeks ago, so the lack of them on products is really a good reflection yet.

I can tell you we have been using both Alliant and Motorcraft since we started without an issue besides installer error. I can't tell you how many sets of Dorman and Dipaco orings we have had to change out because they came apart in under 5,000 miles.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:30 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Nice to have the review on the product, after awhile it should be helpful. Some are funny.....

Posted by Chris the Great on Feb 7th 2014

Is your truck making earth shattering torque? Are you building boost faster than your girl can make you a sandwich? Do you drive the best diesel truck on the market, a Powerstroke? Are you the kind of guy that does stuff right the first time, because you don't want to waste your time on buying the cheap stuff over and over again? If you've answer yes to any of these, well then you've probably blown an intercooler boot, or two, just like you've blown your last paycheck on performance parts. I'm here to tell you, you need these. You need these to keep those pesky intercooler pipes in check. Don't be the Powerstroke broken down on the side of the road, searching for sockets and extensions to re-clamp your ugly, dirty, worn out FACTORY intercooler boots back on. Get the best out there. Get Riffraff boots.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:13 PM
Riffraff Diesel
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Originally Posted by Maxium4x4
Nice to have the review on the product, after awhile it should be helpful. Some are funny.....

Posted by Chris the Great on Feb 7th 2014

Is your truck making earth shattering torque? Are you building boost faster than your girl can make you a sandwich? Do you drive the best diesel truck on the market, a Powerstroke? Are you the kind of guy that does stuff right the first time, because you don't want to waste your time on buying the cheap stuff over and over again? If you've answer yes to any of these, well then you've probably blown an intercooler boot, or two, just like you've blown your last paycheck on performance parts. I'm here to tell you, you need these. You need these to keep those pesky intercooler pipes in check. Don't be the Powerstroke broken down on the side of the road, searching for sockets and extensions to re-clamp your ugly, dirty, worn out FACTORY intercooler boots back on. Get the best out there. Get Riffraff boots.
A few do get a little elaborate don't they

Old 02-13-2014, 11:14 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
We would ALL USE Ford/OEM Orings if it had that Top Injector Oring to HPO Rail

It sucks to have to buy an injector for just that 50 cent Oring

But if the Aliant Top oring is undersize then kinda Pointless isn't it

so is it????Undersize??

Old 02-13-2014, 11:40 PM
BLADE35
Hotshot
Received 68 Likes on 49 Posts
ANothony Did I understand Correct The PREVIOUS SHop just Reringed all 8 Injectors??? NO Injectors were replaced At the Previous SHOP right????????or did I Misunderstand???

So could it have Been Possible they Reringed a BAD Injector???? In Addition to all the other things you mentioned like Holddown Bolts stretched, Oring Problems, Combustion washer problems Low Torq specs etc....

Just a Random thought^^^^You Guys Know me Right lol

Oh and when you get those injectors out Would you do a Vac Test on them with the Vac Pump Hooked to the Injector tip.

And Post the Results of the Vac Test Also if you could Vac Test a Known GOOD Injector

I Hope the Vac Test will Prove to be Good I Have Heard it does Work But if you could PROVE or DISPROVE This theory I would Feel Better about it cause I know you are THURO

In theory the injectors that tested WEAK in Balance test should FAIL Vac Test (Might be a Case of HOW Bad they really are) and the Others should HOLD Vac

I think you are Correct to Replace ALL 8 injectors since there was Combustion Gas in Both Fuel Rails

Theres a GOOD Chance all the Injector Plungers got Scared from combustion Gas in the rails so this is where the VAC Test comes in and the testing of a KNOWN GOOD Injector for a Standard Control Point

THANKS BUD!!!! I KNOW I am asking a lot LOL

Old 02-14-2014, 06:21 AM
rob40cal
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got over 30,000 miles on alliant o-rings with no issues. went with them for the top ring.

Rob

Old 02-14-2014, 06:38 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by rob40cal
I've got over 30,000 miles on alliant o-rings with no issues. went with them for the top ring.

Rob
I've never heard of any issues with the Alliant kits either. Good quality stuff. With as many failures as there were on that truck I'm thinking bad install and/or bad injectors to start with.

Old 02-14-2014, 07:08 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 278 Likes on 141 Posts
Originally Posted by rob40cal

Rob
Was reading this and waiting for someone to say that....

The Alliant kit gets you not just the bottom part of the injector, but also the top side where the oil rail connects.

Old 02-14-2014, 08:33 AM
Monty Simmons
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the hold down bolts are critical then it seems risky not to simply use new hold down bolts.

Never know what has happened to a bolt prior to the last time it was torqued into place.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:29 AM
fordf150guy
Tuned
that egr butterfly below the intake elbow can come out also...don't think its moving much with the egr deleted but with it gone it might eliminate some head scratching down the road (plus its right there begging to be removed).

Old 02-14-2014, 10:35 AM
Snuggyworm
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fordf150guy
that egr butterfly can come out also...don't think its moving much with the egr deleted but with it gone it might eliminate some head scratching down the road (plus its right there begging to be removed).
Wats an egr butterfly? Did u mean the throttle plate?

Dom

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup

Old 02-14-2014, 10:47 AM
run6.0run
Postmaster
I do understand the top oring being an issue and a reason for the alliant ones. I personally have never replaced a top oring in my truck. My longest spurt was 350k mi without an injector failure. Never had an issue that wasn't solved by regular procedures. I suggest and sell the whole injector if the top oring is damaged. I just feel if the injector is old enough that the oring is damaged,, then that injector is old,,, lol. And I understand the nipple cup oring can cause the inj oring failure,, but I look at it as nature of the beast. Look at this job specifically. This customer just paid for the "rering" job. On those old azz injectors. Now 3 are definately bad. Brand new orings on an antique injector. I'm sure the alliant is good quality. But I just don't see the need.

Also guys,,, The install appeared ok,,,,, appeared!!!! No comprimised orings,, the crush washers were a lil "uncrushed" lol. The torque was all over the place. And #3 hold down clamp was a lil stripped in the t40 hole. So it's just not worth it,, so a new set of clamps are on their way.

#1 & #3 injector bases were also showing signs of heat. Got a lil blue ing going on. I ALWAYS replace injectors if they show any blue rings above the nozzle. That's another issue there. I did check the lobe lift at the rocker and recorded the values. They were good. Prob should've videoed that huh. Lol. The ticket will show the info. I was a lil concerned about the exhaust lobe on the cam getting wiped. It checked out tho. Iirc it's like .225 lift with .005 loss. Can't remember exactly. RTFM!!!!! Lol.

I'm gonna shoot a vid of the injectors n clamps on the bench.

Oh,, Corey is here. Creator. He actually did most of the removal while me n Mike were on the phone. Lol. Cracking the whip. Lol. GET TO WORK GUYS!!! Maybe Corey will chime in on how good I got it with Julie right there. She was working with him.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:47 PM
fordf150guy
Tuned
Originally Posted by Snuggyworm
Wats an egr butterfly? Did u mean the throttle plate?

Dom

Sent from my iPhone using IB AutoGroup
great, a mind reading worm...

yeah thats what i meant, i wrote that pre morning coffee

Quick Reply: Another aftermarket thread