1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 01:07 PM
readrand
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Here's my problem. Last fall I was fed up with my vacuum actuator and went old school with a set of Mile Marker Manual Lockouts. My 99 F250 SD has run perfect in 4 wheel until a couple of nights ago. I was helping a mini transit van out of a median full of snow and had mt selector in 4HI, I was pulling him out when my tires caught the asphalt so I switched into 4LO. So I get the van out but my truck will not come out of 4LO, so I get home pull in the pole barn and immediately pull the transfer case motor and take a 14mm wrench and turn the shaft back to 2WD, the only problem was that my motor did not switch back so I took a 1/2 inch drive breaker bar and spun the opening to line up. Place everything back together switched my truck into 4HI and nothing. So I go to the local salvage yard and find a selector from a 2000 F150 which was the same as mine, I got home installed it turned the switch to 4HI which it did and as I went to pull out of my 7 inch deep snow covered horse shoe the selector light showing 4 HI went off on my dash, I've checked the fuses none blown, installed a new Dorman transfer case motor last night and still nothing showing up on my dash from the selector. I will say that when I start the truck the 4x4 lights do come on with all my other lights like airbag, battery, ect. So am I needing a switch or a possible position indicator on the transfer case.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:46 PM
GregsSD
Posting Guru
Check your 2 transfer case relays, they are under your hood on the drivers side fenderwell.

Here is a thread with a pic: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...se-relays.html

Old 02-08-2014, 05:35 PM
readrand
New User
Thanks for the info GregsSD, I went out and tried swapping the relays because both boxes have the same part# and each swap I tried the switch on 4HI and 4LO and neither time did the lights come on at the dash so I am hoping it is in the switch assembly I have one coming in tomorrow at Autozone, thankfully they price matched a Ford warehouse who had it for $47.83 in stead of the dealer 67.99 or theirs for 87.99.

Old 02-08-2014, 05:58 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I'd suggest not throwing parts at your truck, after your junkyard switch didn't work I think it's likely that the switch isn't the problem. There's a diagnostic procedure that needs to be followed, but to start you need to have the truck scanned by a machine capable of reading B-codes from the 4WD control module. Without knowing if there are any codes stored you are just spending money and hoping it works.

On a completely other note, there was no reason to switch to 4-LO just because your tires reached pavement. Not that this could have caused your issue, but it probably didn't help anything. The only time you need low range is when you need more brute force than is available in high range.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:19 PM
readrand
New User
Originally Posted by Tom
I'd suggest not throwing parts at your truck, after your junkyard switch didn't work I think it's likely that the switch isn't the problem. There's a diagnostic procedure that needs to be followed, but to start you need to have the truck scanned by a machine capable of reading B-codes from the 4WD control module. Without knowing if there are any codes stored you are just spending money and hoping it works.

On a completely other note, there was no reason to switch to 4-LO just because your tires reached pavement. Not that this could have caused your issue, but it probably didn't help anything. The only time you need low range is when you need more brute force than is available in high range.

Thanks for the information Tom, I checked with a garage prior to purchasing the motor about running a diagnostic to see what could be my problem but was told since I converted over to manual lock outs that the diagnostic would not be accurate, kinda figured I was getting a run around since the issue seems to definitely be electrical because there are no vacuum issues to worry about. Most certainly yes my 4LO was a must that night because pulling a 1/2 ton van out of 16 inches of snow was starting to pull me to the side on a very snowy I69 at 11pm, so the 4LO helped grad some extra torque to steady my truck in order to get him pulled clear. Just being a good Samaritan I know I now have issues with my truck but nothing that won't be eventually fixed would just hope someone would do the same for my wife and kids. I may try the dealer though on Monday and see about the diagnostics there, I have a code reader but for OBII and ABS codes nothing else. Even have my handy subscription to Alldatadiy.com but not much help on this for diagnostics.

Old 02-08-2014, 09:57 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by readrand
Just being a good Samaritan I know I now have issues with my truck but nothing that won't be eventually fixed would just hope someone would do the same for my wife and kids.
I think you're looking at it from the wrong perspective. It would have failed at some point regardless, but it held together long enough to help someone out. Had you not done that would have failed next time you used your four wheel drive.

Some of us have scan tools that can read those kinds of codes, where are you located?

Old 02-08-2014, 10:29 PM
readrand
New User
I live in Marshall Michigan. About 20 miles north of coldwater and 19 south of Battle Creek.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:28 PM
readrand
New User
Well Tom, I've been reading up on GEM's as a possible culprit, can this be tested correctly on diagnostics even though I changed over to manual lock out hubs? I think this is what the mechanic might have been referring to when he said the diagnostic would not be accurate, I have no idea on this. I replaced my motor because it tested weak last summer but I figured I would get the life out of it. I have 2 sets of relays by my power box under the hood and all read the same p# so one at a time I switched a relay from one box to another and then checked my dash with the switch in 4HI and there was nothing. If I could I also want to ask, the transfer case motor when I installed it is it suppose to have just a little tension on it when aligning the holes back up to bolt it on?

Old 02-09-2014, 02:04 PM
seuadr
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
small world - i'm in eaton rapids, about 20 miles north of marshall.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:11 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Check out THIS MAP.

It's a project of another FTE member, on it you'll find mapped locations of some of us with capable scan tools such as AutoEnginuity who are happy to help other forum members out. I'm on the map, but obviously on the east coast so probably not able to help. Looks like one of our members in Detroit has one, might want to give him a shout.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:37 PM
readrand
New User
Originally Posted by seuadr
small world - i'm in eaton rapids, about 20 miles north of marshall.
Good to virtually meet you Jared. I moved up from KY about 3 years ago, my wife and I have a cleaning company here in Marshall and luckily I haven't had to hook up a trailer for any jobs this year or I would be had right about now.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:41 PM
readrand
New User
Originally Posted by Tom
Check out THIS MAP.

It's a project of another FTE member, on it you'll find mapped locations of some of us with capable scan tools such as AutoEnginuity who are happy to help other forum members out. I'm on the map, but obviously on the east coast so probably not able to help. Looks like one of our members in Detroit has one, might want to give him a shout.
I really appreciate the info Tom I will definitely check the map. Seems the darndest things that seem simple on my Ol Ford are turning into major headaches. But all in all I've had it 5 years now and other than a penny in the kick plate shorting out my dash lights nothing major.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:46 PM
Skip1970
Hotshot
Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom
Check out THIS MAP.

hey tom, im the only one listed for alaska, can you change my user name on the map so they contact SKIP1970 instead ob b-uno??

Old 02-09-2014, 02:51 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Originally Posted by Skip1970
hey tom, im the only one listed for alaska, can you change my user name on the map so they contact SKIP1970 instead ob b-uno??
It's an open group, so anyone can do it. But since I'm a nice guy I took care of it for you.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:00 PM
readrand
New User
OK it's been a couple of weeks since me ol Ford decided to hibernate its 4 wheel drive. I haven't had much time until today to take a look at it and this is where I'm at. Still no 4x4 lights on dash, swapped relays under hood, and I double checked my power coming in on the 2 prong side of the transfer motor and no voltage at all. So basically where I stand is no power going to my transfer case motor (which by the way is brand new from Dorman). I have spoken with one Ford dealer and a handful of ASE???Garages about testing the GEM and well, you know that sound you get when your on the lake at 2am (crickets) yeah that's kinda the reply I got from them. SOOooo anyone know where I might be able to access an online wiring schematic for a 99 F250SD 5.4 liter? I have alldatadiy but could not find anything there.

Quick Reply: No Good Deed Goes Unpunished