Sponsored by: Moser

After 25 years.. It has been rescued!

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 10:18 AM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by rustyrelic
I agree, keep the patina. You can paint it a hundred times but it's only original once.
Very well put ! This truck is a true "Surivor" I thing some people miss the point of a "Surivor" a original patina, stock matching # engine just the idea of unmolested truck is the coolest thing. As long as you can get it drive down the road. I know some of you guys thing everything should be restored to be nice or like new. But to restore something you are taking away what took 37yrs to get that way. So there are 2 different ways of looking at it and to each there own. But honestly this truck has such a cool look to it. That putting bondo & primer on it would be a disservice to saving a true "Surivor".

Anyone with deep pockets can restore a truck but to find a unmolested truck and get it to drive down the road is VERY rare.

FordMan you have one cool truck !

Old 02-08-2014, 11:20 AM
ranger429
Logistics Pro
Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by BadDogKuzz
stock matching # engine
No such thing in a Ford truck. The motor was never stamped to match what it was put into.

Am I the only one that is seeing this as nothing more than a parts truck?

Old 02-08-2014, 12:07 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 248 Likes on 193 Posts
Here's to "patina!!" I have found that it is my favorite look! And the least labor intensive one!
And you do have some work cut out for you,,,personally, I would use it as a parts truck,,,
and is it me, or is the rear diff a Dana 60 and is it upside down/flipped?

Old 02-08-2014, 12:45 PM
RaulERichardson
Freshman User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wish my old lady looked as good as your truck...

Old 02-08-2014, 12:55 PM
HIO Silver
Post Fiend
Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by FordMan51694
Please give me your opinions on the truck, It has sat between two shops on a farm for 25 years. I know It's very rough, but I see it being fixable. I couldn't let it rot anymore. It will be a long road. I know the drive shaft is gone for some reason, and someone in the family thought it was funny to shoot the back window out..
Thanks guys!
Hoooey that rig is crusty.

Here are a few guidelines:

Preserve Sanity.
  • Grab a trash bag and cardboard box… trash and garbage goes in the bag and any spare parts goes into the box.
  • The owners manual and, if present, fuses goes in the glove box.
  • Vacuum/sweep out the interior and sweep out the bed.
  • Clear out drain holes.
  • Powerwash the body, wheel wells, and even the engine compartment. Every nook and cranny. Crap falling into your eyes is no fun.
  • Cleanliness is next to…

Evaluation/Visual Inspection.
Grab a note pad and do a bumper to bumper visual inspection.. this is also time to go on “Hack Patrol” – All those so-called “repairs” made by previous owners. Look for duct tape, household wire nuts, electrical tape, wood screws, wires that go to nowhere.

On the notepad make three columns/categories:
  • Gotta fix/replace now.. these include safety items like lights and brakes, cab mounts;
  • Gotta fix/upgrade/replace soon or “The Watch List” – floor pans.; and,
  • Fix later – rust holes, old wiper blades, loose ***** and switches.
  • Look for loose, missing, or broken hardware like lug nuts, fender and bumper bolts, and bellhousing to engine bolts. Feel around for soft or cracked hoses – radiator hoses degrade from the inside. Crimp it with your hand and it should have the same firmness all the way around.

Fluids and Filters
Change everything...Engine oil, coolant, auto trans, power steering, and brake fluid. If possible, front and rear axle lube, and gear lube in a manual trans.
Air up the tires and the spare.
Lube all grease fittings.

Fire It Up
New/known good battery
Full tune-up... plugs, wires, etc. and a carb rebuild kit. A spare starter solenoid is a good idea.
Rebuild the carb.
If the fuel tank is of unknown condition, run the fuel pump from a gas can.
.... have a fire extinguisher handy or "fire it up" may have a whole new meaning.

... from here on out it is really up to you. Personally, I like to verify the electrical systems as a matter of safety (lights, horns, etc.) and then start on brakes and steering.

Good luck!

Old 02-08-2014, 01:06 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 67 Likes on 66 Posts
Why, looks ta me you gots a can a WD40 rightchair there ready to go. You're all set.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:15 PM
FordMan51694
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The interior, toolbox, and bed have been cleared! Also I put a cover on it today. Stopped anymore damage from happening.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:20 PM
turbohunter
Postmaster
You'ze got some nards for tackling that baby.
Good luck, we'll be here to keep you on the path to redemption.
Pretty damn straight truck.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:45 PM
Pickupmanx2
Logistics Pro
Received 248 Likes on 193 Posts
Originally Posted by FordMan51694
The interior, toolbox, and bed have been cleared! Also I put a cover on it today. Stopped anymore damage from happening.
You sir are a brave and noble man, and I salute you!

Or as Buzz Lightyear told Woody,
"You are a sad, strange little man, and you have my pity"
just because I have watched it a bozillion times...!

Old 02-08-2014, 08:50 PM
79FordBlake
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you tried turning the engine over yet?
I got a 78 Bronco right after Christmas that had set for 12 years without running and the oil pan off of it. It was locked up and full of dirt daubers in the bottom end. Filled each cylinder full of pb blaster until it was running out. I got it to start moving. Got all the dirt daubers out I could with air compressor. Oiled it from below with a oil can. Put it all together and it fired up. I've changed oil 3 times everytime I get 200 miles on it. Runs smooth as silk and burns no oil.

Old 02-08-2014, 10:01 PM
FordMan51694
Freshman User
Originally Posted by 79FordBlake
Have you tried turning the engine over yet?
I got a 78 Bronco right after Christmas that had set for 12 years without running and the oil pan off of it. It was locked up and full of dirt daubers in the bottom end. Filled each cylinder full of pb blaster until it was running out. I got it to start moving. Got all the dirt daubers out I could with air compressor. Oiled it from below with a oil can. Put it all together and it fired up. I've changed oil 3 times everytime I get 200 miles on it. Runs smooth as silk and burns no oil.

Nice! No I haven't tried anything yet, the key has been lost. A set of blank keys are on the way I will have them cut when they get here! I need to see if any oil will drain, (I doubt it.) Put new plugs in, fresh oil, get a new belt, and get the carburetor going or buy a new one. Fingers crossed that it will start! Thanks everyone for the positive feedback it's great support!

Old 02-08-2014, 10:04 PM
FordMan51694
Freshman User
Originally Posted by HIO Silver
Hoooey that rig is crusty.

Here are a few guidelines:

Preserve Sanity.
  • Grab a trash bag and cardboard box… trash and garbage goes in the bag and any spare parts goes into the box.
  • The owners manual and, if present, fuses goes in the glove box.
  • Vacuum/sweep out the interior and sweep out the bed.
  • Clear out drain holes.
  • Powerwash the body, wheel wells, and even the engine compartment. Every nook and cranny. Crap falling into your eyes is no fun.
  • Cleanliness is next to…

Evaluation/Visual Inspection.
Grab a note pad and do a bumper to bumper visual inspection.. this is also time to go on “Hack Patrol” – All those so-called “repairs” made by previous owners. Look for duct tape, household wire nuts, electrical tape, wood screws, wires that go to nowhere.

On the notepad make three columns/categories:
  • Gotta fix/replace now.. these include safety items like lights and brakes, cab mounts;
  • Gotta fix/upgrade/replace soon or “The Watch List” – floor pans.; and,
  • Fix later – rust holes, old wiper blades, loose ***** and switches.
  • Look for loose, missing, or broken hardware like lug nuts, fender and bumper bolts, and bellhousing to engine bolts. Feel around for soft or cracked hoses – radiator hoses degrade from the inside. Crimp it with your hand and it should have the same firmness all the way around.

Fluids and Filters
Change everything...Engine oil, coolant, auto trans, power steering, and brake fluid. If possible, front and rear axle lube, and gear lube in a manual trans.
Air up the tires and the spare.
Lube all grease fittings.

Fire It Up
New/known good battery
Full tune-up... plugs, wires, etc. and a carb rebuild kit. A spare starter solenoid is a good idea.
Rebuild the carb.
If the fuel tank is of unknown condition, run the fuel pump from a gas can.
.... have a fire extinguisher handy or "fire it up" may have a whole new meaning.

... from here on out it is really up to you. Personally, I like to verify the electrical systems as a matter of safety (lights, horns, etc.) and then start on brakes and steering.

Good luck!

A ton of great info!! Thank you!

Old 02-10-2014, 12:21 PM
FordMan51694
Freshman User
The bed has been cleared out! After it gets above freezing I will borrow a pressure washer and get it really clean.

Old 02-10-2014, 02:39 PM
Gadsden
Freshman User
I'd go easy with that pressure! I've got I do the same thing in mine. It had about 6 inches of decomposing leaves in the bed when I got it.

Old 02-10-2014, 03:03 PM
Justin.Hoeben
Senior User
I respect guys taking projects like this. In some places. Like here by us these trucks are not so common so getting an old truck like this one is very lucky. I think the rusty look gives it character. Even if you go for the respray option I can ensure you the day you drive it down the road for the 1st time all the work put into it will be worth it. Great find and good luck with your project. Looking forward to the build

Quick Reply: After 25 years.. It has been rescued!