Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

which body for 88 7.3 idi

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 12:29 AM
obsguy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
which body for 88 7.3 idi

ok so here is my dilemma I have a 1994 f150 extended cab short bed I have had it several years I got one ton axles for it and had big plans I just bought an 88 f350 x cab dually the body on it is super rusty I bought it just for the good running 7.3 idi it has an ats turbo and zf5 I bought it with the intentions to swap the engine and trans into my 94 and have a 1 ton diesel x cab short box but I then started wondering if I should swap my cab to the 350 chassis because it has a 1/4 in frame where as the f150 and f250s have 3/16 frame Idk if it will really matter that much so I am torn because the 350 chassis would mean having a long bed or a short bed I then started looking into putting a 92 and up crew cab cab on the 350 chassis and using a short box it can be done but is a bit of work and requires a body lift so the cab will clear the frame where it starts to go up . all this thinking and then tonight I had the crazy idea maybe put a 67 crew cab body on it I have a buddy with a cab I could buy so idk what do you guys think

x cab short bed (with 3/16 frame)
x cab long bed
try and make a 92 and up crew cab short bed work
or go 67 crew cab

thanks sorry I know this is probably ridiculous I am just supper indecisive. I have always liked my x cab short bed I like the look alot but a started wondering if the heavy frame would be better then I started wondering if I need to go to crew cab 4 doors is really nice so idk what do you all think?

Old 02-04-2014, 03:17 AM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I can't decide for you, since this is all a matter of taste and how you use your truck. However, I can offer some information that might help you decide. First of all, planting a crew cab on an extended cab frame requires more than just a "little" body lift... You need quite a few inches to clear the ramp in the frame. Also, CC short bed has a slightly shorter wheelbase than your EX cab long bed. You might be able to make it work, but IMO it would be a hack job. Putting your 1 ton axles and power plant in your F150 will work, after all folks do it to Bronco's with no major issues. Just remember the frame won't be as tough if you haul heavy, especially in rough terrain. If you want to keep the 1 ton GVWR and frame strength but like the short bed, you could always have your '88 frame shortened. This is a common modification, and then it would be a matter of swapping the body off the F150. All of these choices are seriously time and labor intensive, but who am I to talk... I am neck deep in my own folly!

Old 02-04-2014, 08:50 AM
Ford F834
Postmaster
I am sure you must be considering this, but... it is good to find out the exact details of how it will be for you to register your creation, and hopefully you don't live in an emissions test area. Mixed VIN's can be messy and very expensive to get registered. Also, if you ever move out of state and need an inspection it can cause problems. And if you ever go to sell it... You get the picture. In my case, I decided I needed to work within the constraints of matching VIN's for frame and cab, and it needed to be a diesel VIN just in case. This stuff may not apply, but it should be included in your decision process.

Old 02-04-2014, 01:10 PM
obsguy
New User
Originally Posted by Ford F834
I am sure you must be considering this, but... it is good to find out the exact details of how it will be for you to register your creation, and hopefully you don't live in an emissions test area. Mixed VIN's can be messy and very expensive to get registered. Also, if you ever move out of state and need an inspection it can cause problems. And if you ever go to sell it... You get the picture. In my case, I decided I needed to work within the constraints of matching VIN's for frame and cab, and it needed to be a diesel VIN just in case. This stuff may not apply, but it should be included in your decision process.

Thanks I just assumed It would be titled as my f150 since the vin is on the cab unless I went with the 67 cab in which case I didnt know and was thinking it would end up registered as the 88 I guess I will have to look into that more.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:21 AM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Any full inspection will include verification of the window plate VIN and the partial VIN stamped on the frame. If you mix and match no one will be the wiser, but like I said if you move states or anything there will be a major problem. For me (in Arizona) the procedure is to apply for dismantle titles for both VIN's then present those titles and the vehicle for a class III inspection and the state issues a new "assembled vehicle" VIN tag and title. Very expensive, and not recognized by other states. Some places like California require signed bill of sale for every nut and bolt on the car. Major hassle, and detracts from the value even more than a " restored salvage" title. Just educate yourself at your local motor vehicle department before you choose, that way you won't get a nasty surprise later on.

Old 02-06-2014, 01:56 AM
obsguy
New User
ok will do thanks I checking into the 67 cab its gone so that option is gone I will probably end up swapping the engine into my f150 thanks for your input

Old 02-06-2014, 06:53 PM
Ford F834
Postmaster
Originally Posted by obsguy
ok will do thanks I checking into the 67 cab its gone so that option is gone I will probably end up swapping the engine into my f150 thanks for your input
I think that is a very reasonable choice. I really like the extended cab short bed OBS trucks myself. Great turning radius without going single cab. There were a few F250 PSD trucks 95-97 configured like that, and they look great on 31" wheels and taller 4x4 suspension. The bed is so small that the lighter frame shouldn't be a problem. You can't get as much weight in a short box size bed. Only issue might be the F150 GVWR if you want to tow heavy, for legality liability reasons. Also having a gas VIN won't go so well in places that require emissions, but if your area does not have that you will be fine. Good luck with your project! Since the leaf spring Dana 60 axle is not a direct bolt on to your F150 frame, check out a Reverse Shacke Kit (RSK) which will ride better and make installation much easier.

Edit: in re-reading your first post you don't specify that you have a 4x4, just "1 ton axles"... So that last bit is based on an assumption that you are doing 4x4... and might not apply.