1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Headlight covers

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2014, 11:03 AM
damarble
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Headlight covers

Does anyone know where I can find these headlight covers? They're made by Wade apparently but nobody seems to sell them anymore.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:37 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,789 Likes on 1,444 Posts
They are not legal. You could put them on a truck that was trailered to shows or something like that. That's probably the reason you can't find them.

Old 02-03-2014, 09:30 PM
damarble
Elder User
I'm not concerned about the legality, there are ways around that. I've seen indication these pop off for night driving. They are readily available for newer trucks and were obviously made at one time for the bullnose.

Supposedly GT Styling has a set that says it fits 80-86, part number GT0922S, but I can only find generic images. I'm not shelling out $50 without seeing what I'm getting.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:21 AM
Rovernut
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Here's an old thread on the topic. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...hts-legal.html
Just one correction to it, state law is irrelevant. All state lighting regulations are superseded by NHTSA regulations. If the NHTSA says it's illegal it's illegal in all 50 states.
The NHTSA states that anything that changes the photometry of lighting is illegal. There's no way "around" it.
That said, just like with any law, local enforcement can vary.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:30 AM
KsCop
Posting Guru
There are ways around that? I just love that mindset. Keeps me employed..

There are only a few 'you shall' mandates in law enforcement so enforcement will be up to the the individual officer. That said, they are still illegal and you are taking a chance if you install them. They make for a great interdiction stop. Got more than a few DUI and drug arrests on similar things..

Old 02-04-2014, 12:22 PM
damarble
Elder User
Thanks for all the unsolicited legal advice.

Old 02-04-2014, 04:34 PM
KsCop
Posting Guru
No problem. We are a helpful bunch..

Old 02-04-2014, 06:02 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,789 Likes on 1,444 Posts
Originally Posted by damarble
Feel free to do what you want. I just thought I would warn you. I had a friend that had a set on a mustang, the police pulled him over for it. He willingly pulled them off right then and they let him go.

Old 02-04-2014, 06:51 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
KSC said what I was thinking. My neighbor is a police officer and he said they like the blue-dot tail lights and headlight covers as they give them the excuse they need to stop someone. They are illegal but by themselves they aren't blatant enough for him to pull someone over. But if that someone is the least bit suspicious they have the reason - and appreciate it.

Old 02-04-2014, 07:08 PM
Hardtruckisthebest
Freshman User
Great thread full of legal advice
My mercedes has tinted taillights from the factory. I see many vehicles up here with tinted and smoked out lights, and if some cop is bored and wants to pull you over for it then such will be the luck of your day.

LMC truck sells them (they have just about everything, in decent price and quality)

Go to LMC truck website, check the catalogue page 82, they cost 49.95

Ive bought many items from LMC, I can attest that the quality is decent, regardless of what you may read. They only show a pic for the 90's ones, but if you contact them I'm sure they can help you out.

Old 02-05-2014, 12:38 AM
KsCop
Posting Guru
Just remember; Just because you can buy it doesn't make it legal. There are several factory installed options I can think of that are illegal, as well as items sold by parts stores.

Yeah I know; more unsolicited legal advice...

Good think I'm not a lawyer or I'd have to charge for this..

Old 02-05-2014, 12:59 PM
Rovernut
Laughing Gas
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by damarble
It's more for others who might be considering the same thing, that they know it's illegal and there isn't a way around it.
My experience over the last 20 years on automotive mailing lists and forums is that people who decide they know a way around laws are going to do what they want regardless.

Originally Posted by KsCop
Just remember; Just because you can buy it doesn't make it legal. There are several factory installed options I can think of that are illegal, as well as items sold by parts stores.
Parts stores pretty much goes without saying, but I'm surprised about factory installed.
When it comes to lighting, if it's not compliant the NHTSA has the authority to force the seller, in this case the factory I suppose, to buy back the non-conforming lights and pay the owner the cost of replacing them with lighting that meets the FVMSS 108 standards. A pretty good incentive to make sure they do it right.

I think a lot of companies that sell things like HID conversions aren't aware of the potential cost to them. Not to mention the importers of the HID kits that have just been shut down by the NHTSA.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:21 PM
Gary Lewis
Posting Legend
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Tom - You have excellent points. FTE prides itself on providing accurate information instead of being the good-ole-boy forum where you can read or say anything. We want people to be able to count on what they find here. In fact, so much so that I've been asked to correct mistakes in what I posted so posterity can rely on what's said here. And, I don't mind doing that.

So we have an obligation to tell someone the truth regardless of what s/he wants to hear. IOW, you are free to do whatever it is you want to do, but we want you, and everyone that comes after you, to know what is right and safe.

Old 02-05-2014, 01:37 PM
KsCop
Posting Guru
The issue with some factory installed items is that they may be legal in the state the factory is in, while in other states they are not. Kansas has some odd laws in that regard, not to mention possible local ordinances

Old 02-05-2014, 08:40 PM
ctubutis
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by KsCop
The issue with some factory installed items is that they may be legal in the state the factory is in, while in other states they are not. Kansas has some odd laws in that regard, not to mention possible local ordinances
Any specific examples you could share with us?

Quick Reply: Headlight covers