1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my delema

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2014, 07:03 PM
relayman53
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my delema

06 F250 6.0. 84k. 15k left on extended warranty. $2400 to extend warrenty fo another 100k. Id love to visit diesel dynamics and get the egr delete/ oil cooler upgrade/ head studs / tuner but that would void any warranty. Any input ? Ive never owned a diesel..and i hear the upgrade bullet proofing plus high flow air filter/ tuner really makes the 6.0 come alive !

Old 02-02-2014, 08:43 PM
fordman19762003
Cargo Master
Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts
if it was me I'd forget about the extended warranty and go the bulletproofing route. Doing that stuff will eliminate most of the issues that would steer a person towards an extended warranty on the 6.0.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:27 PM
jswartz84
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Does it need a new oil cooler?

If not, delete that egr cooler and run it. Most problems were corrected by '06. Then set aside a couple grand for just in case repairs.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:45 AM
texastech_diesel
Token Redneck

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by relayman53
i hear the upgrade bullet proofing plus high flow air filter/ tuner really makes the 6.0 come alive !
Then you heard wrong, because the only thing changing out the air filter does is make money flow out of your wallet to the seller easier. Until you're looking into larger injectors and a larger turbo, there's no need for one and it can actually cause damage to your stock turbo. Tuning, even trans-only or non-pwer adding FICM work does make a big difference. The bulletproofing parts don't change anything about driveability, they're supporting mods to solve problems created by things like tuning.

You have some options that are safer for non-studded trucks, especially for the FICM and on the SCT tuner platform. Come down to the 6.0L forum and start reading in the tech folder for information on tuning options and bulletproofing ideas that don't spend unnecessary money:
6.0L Power Stroke Diesel - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Old 02-03-2014, 11:02 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by relayman53
06 F250 6.0. 84k. 15k left on extended warranty. $2400 to extend warrenty fo another 100k. Id love to visit diesel dynamics and get the egr delete/ oil cooler upgrade/ head studs / tuner but that would void any warranty. Any input ? Ive never owned a diesel..and i hear the upgrade bullet proofing plus high flow air filter/ tuner really makes the 6.0 come alive !
I agree with Bryan. Starting to think adding a tuner without studs isn't a good idea as the 6.0 forum will confirm.

Just to understand... Your original Ford warranty was 5 yr, 100k miles. You exceeded the 5 yrs so you bought an extended warranty to still get you to 100k, correct?

If so, it now sounds awfully cheap to get another 100k for 2,400.

Before buying, I'd really go through the contract with a fine toothed comb as there might be specific exceptions, knowing the potential issues with the 6.0's, early or late, such as the VGT unison ring, HPOP, oil cooler, etc.

Seems like there as more horror stories about extended warranties where people buy these and think it covers everything.

Old 02-03-2014, 01:14 PM
King-bRanch
Cargo Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My .02
If it were me i would NOT spend $2,400 on a Warranty that probably wont cover crap if its needed anyway. Seems as if i hear it all the time, people buy a warranty then need it & the manufacturer creates a loophole to get out of paying it
My dad has a bone stock 2004 & the only thing it ever crapped was a EGR Cooler while covered under an Ext.Warranty but the dealer found an A/M Muffler under his truck (only a/m part on entire truck) & denied his Claim, yeah like the Muffler caused the EGR Cooler to fail...wtf
Thankfully we have an attorney in the family who quickly shoved the "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" down their throats & they quickly agreed to repair but its BS it has to be this way & there are always people getting screwed like this by dealers so i'd just invest that money into making your truck how "you" want it
Some people on here feel Tuner's are the devil but you can look at my extensive list of Mod's in my Garage Link, my truck's been powered-up this way for a solid 2.5 years now, I pull a 5th-Wheel all over & I still have the stock TTY Head-Bolts...Run's awesome
I also don't beat the crap outta my truck all the time but if i step on the Go-Pedal she goes
Just keep the Tune fairly mild & remember to back up a Tuner with an Exhaust, Etc. Even though i changed my Air-Box the stock one is supposed to handle up to 500hp just fine which alot of people seem to prefer. The big thing with any Diesel is to watch the Vital's to spot problems early.
Good Luck

Old 02-03-2014, 01:43 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
I would take the $2400, set it aside in a savings account, and drive the truck in the meantime. If you're fortunate enough to have a good, reputable Diesel Performance Shop nearby, you should see how much they would want to basically update and freshen up the engine.

I bought my '05 Excursion knowing it had a bad oil cooler and leaking EGR cooler. I limped it almost 700 miles home and not long after left it at Powerstroke Enginuities. I had them delete the EGR cooler and replace the oil cooler, but I also had them go through the engine and make sure that I could just drive the truck and not worry about anything.

Here's what they did:

-installed ARP Studs
-EGR Delete
-New updated OEM oil cooler
-Dummy Plugs and Stand Pipes
-Blue Fuel Spring
-Coolant Flush with Ford VC-9
-New Rotella ELC
-Sinister Coolant Filter (buy Diesel Site Instead)
-New OEM Ford Head Gaskets
-New O-rings for all injectors
-New Rocker box gaskets
-New intake manifold gasket set
-New Serpentine Belt
-Flo-Pro 4 inch turbo back exhaust
-New Degas bottle (cracked as they were giving me the truck back)
-Cleaned turbo and intake manifold while they had the engine apart.

That was October 2013 to this day, my truck still runs and drives awesome with no issues whatsoever.

If the truck is trouble free, don't fix what's not broken, set aside the cash, and just keep up with the correct fluids and motorcraft filters.

Old 02-04-2014, 11:18 AM
r2millers
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Toreador_Diesel
Here's what they did:

-installed ARP Studs
-EGR Delete
-New updated OEM oil cooler
-Dummy Plugs and Stand Pipes
-Blue Fuel Spring
-Coolant Flush with Ford VC-9
-New Rotella ELC
-Sinister Coolant Filter (buy Diesel Site Instead)
-New OEM Ford Head Gaskets
-New O-rings for all injectors
-New Rocker box gaskets
-New intake manifold gasket set
-New Serpentine Belt
-Flo-Pro 4 inch turbo back exhaust
-New Degas bottle (cracked as they were giving me the truck back)
-Cleaned turbo and intake manifold while they had the engine apart.

That was October 2013 to this day, my truck still runs and drives awesome with no issues whatsoever.

If the truck is trouble free, don't fix what's not broken, set aside the cash, and just keep up with the correct fluids and motorcraft filters.
Nice list. Looks like you just about have a new engine with all the goodies.
This should run great for years.
Not cheap but a good investment.

Old 02-04-2014, 12:32 PM
Toreador_Diesel
Retired Mod
Received 279 Likes on 142 Posts
Originally Posted by r2millers
Nice list. Looks like you just about have a new engine with all the goodies. This should run great for years. Not cheap but a good investment.
It actually came out cheaper than I thought, but indeed the truck will be awesome for years and many miles to come