Help locate engine vibration. - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Help locate engine vibration.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:06 PM
83capril
Elder User
83capril is starting off with a positive reputation.
Help locate engine vibration.

I am not a big fan of throwing parts at something till it's fixed. I would like some input as to where you guys would start. Here is what I have.... 1992 F250 7.5L 4x4 ZF5. Truck was an original automatic trans truck. Previous owner swapped in the ZF5. I have a vibration through out the truck. Starts at idle then as you increase the RPM it will smooth out then start coming back till it shakes fairly well. Enough where I'm afraid to go any higher. It then seems to worsen just briefly when you let off the throttle. It will do it with trans in neutral sitting still (clutch pedal pressed in or let out), in gear driving. I notice it most when I go to shift, as I tend to drive the truck like a sports car and will do some higher RPMs. I do not hear any engine knocking. I have replaced cap, rotor, wires & plugs. Truck seems to have good power. It has 147K miles.

The exhaust is dual with only 1 cherry bomb type muffler on each side. It does not touch the truck except for in one spot. Drivers side tip is up against leaf spring fairly good. I intend to cut that off and redo it. Do you guys think I could be getting some major vibrations from it or the sound waves of the exhaust?? The tips go to the edge of the bed. Previous owner said he never felt any vibration before the trans swap. He also never drove it after trans swap.

The donor flywheel & trans came from a 1989 F250 7.5L. Previous owner said he put a new clutch in and replaced the ring gear on flywheel. So it should still have the same balance as the 92. Any help is greatly appreciated. Not sure if this helps but I do have an awful squeal from the drive belt area of this truck. I thought it was the belt tensioner pulley so I replaced that. Nope still there, all I can think is water pump bearings as it does sound like bad bearings. I plan on looking into this asap. I don't drive this truck much but want to get it fixed.

Thanks for any help. Also if you need more info just ask.

Old 01-31-2014, 02:39 PM
wdfp
Elder User
wdfp is starting off with a positive reputation.
I would pull the inspection cover and you should be able to see if the flywheel is correct, should have a bunch of holes drilled into it for balance or a place with more material if it was cast into it. Did the PO say when the vibration started? I won't say for certain it is in the clutch, flywheel combination, Flywheel would be my guess. With the quality of parts they sell nowadays could be an off center pressure plate made in China or something..
Or someone just installed the wrong parts, wouldn't be the first time.. Long time ago I had a trans changed in my KW, new clutch and turn the flywheel. Got it done and had a vibration that drove me nuts. Finally found out the shop that did the flywheel or Kenworth themselves who swapped the trans, grabbed the wrong flywheel and put it in the truck. 28 oz out of balance and of course they would not stand behind it.. Should have sued them..
But if he will tell you when it started vibrating, whatever was done just prior to that is the likely culprit..

Old 02-01-2014, 11:21 AM
83capril
Elder User
PO never had a vibration. The automatic trans went bad on him so he replaced it with the manual trans. He never drove it due to not getting the project done before he sold it to me. I may just replace the clutch and flywheel to be safe.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:21 PM
wdfp
Elder User
wdfp is starting off with a positive reputation.
You could take the flywheel to an engine shop that balances engine parts to have it checked but a new flywheel may be about the same price.
Do yourself a favor and after pulling the pressure plate so there is just a flywheel, start it and see if it vibrates. Also check the pilot bearing/bushing and make sure it is good. If it was bad or not installed it could cause a vibration quite easily. Also that the trans input shaft is not too long and putting pressure against the crankshaft. That does really strange things to a motor..
Let us know what you find if you would..

Old 02-01-2014, 02:54 PM
83capril
Elder User
I will continue to post here as I work on this. Only thing I have a few things that I'm working on as well as this truck. Posting may be slow but I will post my findings.

On a side note I do like your idea of starting the engine without the clutch to see if that could be the issue. I will also check out the pilot bearing.

Thank you for the help. You brought up some good points.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:36 PM
83capril
Elder User
OK going to revive this old thing. I finally got around to taking my truck apart. What I discovered was that the vibration was in the clutch or flywheel. I replaced both at the same time.

My only thought is this. When I removed the flywheel I noticed it could move up & down on the crank shaft mounting point when the bolts were removed. My new flywheel was had no movement in it. Everything else looked normal and good. I guess with it being able to move on the crank that it wasn't perfectly in line with the center of the crank. Causing it to be slightly off center therefore it would be "out of balance" in relation to the crank.

I'm very happy to have the truck going now and kinda wishing I would've done this sooner. With having an extra truck and cars you kinda put stuff on the back burner.