6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Attention Engine Builders

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2014, 04:48 PM
chesterstroker
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attention Engine Builders

Hey guys, I'm looking for some input on rebuilding my 6.4. I cracked number eight piston. Just looking for opinions on what pistons to use and what else everyone recommends doing while I have it tore down. It is deleted already. I plan on for sure doing head studs. This build is on somewhat of a budget but I plan on keeping the truck for a long time so I want it to last.

Thanks in advance, Jamie

Old 01-21-2014, 05:09 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
What tune was in your truck when this happened,I think we are starting to see a trend here…..

Old 01-21-2014, 05:18 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Cracking pistons was one of the factors for me to sell my 6.4. It is a pretty common issue with tuned trucks. If you can stay with stock sizes, you have plenty of options. If you have to bore, atleast de-lip and ceramic coat. Give Morgan @ Midwest Diesel a call.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:32 PM
chesterstroker
Junior User
Originally Posted by slowmans
What tune was in your truck when this happened,I think we are starting to see a trend here…..
Running the HD300. For what its worth, I wasn't pushing it hard when it happened. It just started missing and blowing tons of white smoke. Im wondering if an injector stuck open...

Old 01-21-2014, 06:13 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Im betting its the tuning, starting to see a lot of guys running H&S on other forums cracking pistons as well…..good luck bro!

Im not trying to point fingers here just stating what I have read, others may have had issuers with other tuners/tunes.

Old 01-21-2014, 06:56 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by chesterstroker
Running the HD300. For what its worth, I wasn't pushing it hard when it happened. It just started missing and blowing tons of white smoke. Im wondering if an injector stuck open...
Could be an injector. Check your blow by. That will give a good indication on what you are facing.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:06 PM
Thasilver_6.7
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not saying your like this but most guys get the tuners...drive the **** out of them...they break... then it's I drove it like miss daisy all the time.. I've had my mini maxx for almost 10,000 miles...drives perfect I've stayed with the 250hp tune... just curious what's your mileage?? good luck also!

Old 01-21-2014, 07:21 PM
chesterstroker
Junior User
Originally Posted by UGA33
Could be an injector. Check your blow by. That will give a good indication on what you are facing.
I have engine pulled already. Number eight is cracked all the way across. I looked through glowplug opening with borescope. I haven't pulled heads yet to check cylinder.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:26 PM
chesterstroker
Junior User
Originally Posted by STROKINMY'08
not saying your like this but most guys get the tuners...drive the **** out of them...they break... then it's I drove it like miss daisy all the time.. I've had my mini maxx for almost 10,000 miles...drives perfect I've stayed with the 250hp tune... just curious what's your mileage?? good luck also!
I hear ya fella...I don't drive the **** out of this one. I'm usually trying for best fuel mileage with the cost of diesel now. The truck has 140k on it. I've had my minimaxx on mine for over 20,000 and it ran perfect until this too.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:34 PM
tgreening
Elder User

True that. Tuner forums always have their share of guys complaining that they blew their engine in some fashion, after punching a button and dumping an extra 300+ HP into the stock drivetrain. Generally followed by accusations that somehow the tunes and/or tuner is defective in some fashion.

Big tunes + stock drive train + silly right foot = Trip to the repair shop.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:34 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Originally Posted by chesterstroker
I have engine pulled already. Number eight is cracked all the way across. I looked through glowplug opening with borescope. I haven't pulled heads yet to check cylinder.
Whoops. Get some good pistons in there. I would also throw some new lifters in it and do a good seal on the bed plate when going back together and call it a day.

Old 01-21-2014, 07:37 PM
Thasilver_6.7
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol I hear ya man.. I'm in the same boat.. slowmans kind of got me worried for a minute.. saying that a lot of hs guys we're having this problem.. I googled it seen some issues..but it was mainly guys who've turned there trucks into race trucks..any way wish the best of luck.. I found this thread with quite a few guys talking of cracked pistons/mini maxx's maybe it'll help...or one of them could let ya know Another cracked piston - PowerStrokeArmy

Old 01-21-2014, 07:56 PM
chesterstroker
Junior User
lol I hear ya man.. I'm in the same boat.. slowmans kind of got me worried for a minute.. saying that a lot of hs guys we're having this problem.. I googled it seen some issues..but it was mainly guys who've turned there trucks into race trucks..any way wish the best of luck.. I found this thread with quite a few guys talking of cracked pistons/mini maxx's maybe it'll help...or one of them could let ya know Another cracked piston - PowerStrokeArmy
Thanks bud...I'll keep ya posted after I tear it down. I absolutely love how these trucks run after deleted. Gotta pay to play I guess

Old 01-21-2014, 08:23 PM
chesterstroker
Junior User
So back to my original question...I'm looking for advice on pistons. Looks like coated stockers, Rudy's Diesel, and International seem to be the most common. Just curious as to which is best and why.

Old 01-22-2014, 07:37 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,407 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Check those rocker arms for wear while you are at it.

One of the reason I never ran big HP on mine.

Quick Reply: Attention Engine Builders